What's new

What size hole from drip tips and 510 battery connectors?

Colonelboom

Vendor
Hi modders. I have a lump of spalted ash that I intend to do very little with apart from a tiny bit of shaping (carving then sanding to suit) and then popping a few holes in for mods, atties and drip tips. I already have a 22mm forstner bit for the mod holes and will widen these a little as I finish them but offhand do you know what size the holes for drip tips are best at for a snug-ish fit? I could just go 9mm which I think is around the right size but I want to keep them held in lightly by the o-rings and figured 8.5mm would be better.

Also, any of you know off the top of your head the same dimension required for the 510 battery connectors you can buy? I want to put 5-6 in to screw my atties down for security.

cheers

Not sure if this helps or not:

1zlbz7o.jpg

The photo shows the holes where drip tips slot in. Some things to note though, this is the bottom of the mod stand and they are made from polymer clay which gives it some flex. As you are using wood then I guess you'll need slightly bigger holes? Don't quote me on that as I didn't make it, it's from Vapist. The maker has an awesome website so you can check out their work: www.vapeholder.com

I presume that it's always better to start smaller working with wood!

Sorry but I can't help you out with the 510 connector size.

Thanks Fella, 8mm is is then, at least I can try the first hole and bore it out further if needed.

My block of spalted ash is sat on my desk looking rather larger than I expected it to but the figuring on the end cut is lovely so I am keen to get whittling it into a shape soon :) I will pop an order in for the 510 connectors and be patient though lol.

My starting block for the project:

frontfiguring.jpg

topspalted.jpg

The shape and size is perfect for what I need, to get a decent amount of mods, batteries, drip tips and attys all tidied away on display. As the nice figuring is all on the end cut too it means I get to work on the relatively plain area for the mod and device holes but can just finish the more visible sections to look purdy.

It is an 8.5" square with a 3" depth too so a good solid block :D Watch me cock it all up though

That's a lovely bit of wood their mate. Where do you go to find things like that? I really would like to have a go at making a mod stand/organiser for myself but last time I thought about trying it, I got stuck a sourcing the bloody materials!!

Keep the faith PlueBlu. It's going to look amazing when finished.

As far as I know, if you want to screw the 510 connectors into your stand then you'll need a 7mm x 0.5 plug and tap. Please note the 'as far as I know' at the start of this part! I even went as far as buying a set in the off chance of making myself something. Maybe your thread will give me the kick in the butt I need to give it a try.

That's a lovely bit of wood their mate. Where do you go to find things like that? I really would like to have a go at making a mod stand/organiser for myself but last time I thought about trying it, I got stuck a sourcing the bloody materials!!

Keep the faith PlueBlu. It's going to look amazing when finished.

As far as I know, if you want to screw the 510 connectors into your stand then you'll need a 7mm x 0.5 plug and tap. Please note the 'as far as I know' at the start of this part! I even went as far as buying a set in the off chance of making myself something. Maybe your thread will give me the kick in the butt I need to give it a try.

I happened to stumble on it on ebay of all places, just looking for spalted wood blanks (bowl blanks at the time as I was thinking of a round stand). I must admit though the sender took his sweet time getting it out to me though as it was paid on the 6th Feb and didn't arrive until 1.5 weeks later - not to worry but I am not known for my patience :)

The 510 connectors are the flat press fit ones that go in from the top with a bit of adhesive, best place I have found for price was C9V - 5 for a fiver +p&p, unfortunately brass coloured though and I wanted SS really.

Now I am just looking at different colour flock fibres as I might have a go thanks to inspiration from Rossco Ell - I think cyan would fit nicely with the PlumeBlu colour styling. It all might take me a while though as I am pretty busy ATM but getting increasingly sick of knocking over mods and atties off my desk

Okies, had the calipers out. For a reasonable fit the hole for drip tips should be between 8.6mm and 8.9mm. I dont have a spare 510 connector lurking around but exterior dia of Ego cone threading is 11.4mmans as far as I can tell the Dia of the 510 fitting used in my Odyssey is 13.19mm, however for the best look I'd fit the 510's from underneath so an 11.5mm hole should be just nice...

Thanks Tubbyengineer. The 510 connectors have to press in from the top really as the body is a smidge smaller than the lip at the top. This makes it easy enough to flush fit if I get the hole diameter pretty close and a slightly wider bore at the very top.

I have started whittling the block tonight, the plan is to have it on hand during periods where I can carve little curves into the edges to give it a bit of shape - hopefully to bring out some of the detail too.

I doubt I will do much with the flat sides other than a bit of whittling as the only things I fancy doing would really need a bandsaw.

I have some carnauba wax on the way for finishing so hopefully one day I will have somewhere to put my mounting piles of metal :)

Thanks @Tubbyengineer. The 510 connectors have to press in from the top really as the body is a smidge smaller than the lip at the top. This makes it easy enough to flush fit if I get the hole diameter pretty close and a slightly wider bore at the very top.

I have started whittling the block tonight, the plan is to have it on hand during periods where I can carve little curves into the edges to give it a bit of shape - hopefully to bring out some of the detail too.

I doubt I will do much with the flat sides other than a bit of whittling as the only things I fancy doing would really need a bandsaw.

I have some carnauba wax on the way for finishing so hopefully one day I will have somewhere to put my mounting piles of metal :)

OK Just had a look at Stealthvapes 510 unsealed, compared it to mine, you should be looking at 9.1mm for the 510 hole but may be a tenth or so larger depending on the make of connector, so A 9mm hole and fun with sandpaper should do it...

As for shaping, I'd suggest using a surform, you should be able to sculpt some nice curves and swoops with one of those - especially the little curved ones...

Last edited:
front section whittled and formed with a light 60 grit sanding. All the other edges have been scalloped, rounded and generally chopped into to add a little interest to the block so now comes all the surface sanding and more importantly the sanding out of the finer details I want to bring out.

frontleftspalted.jpg

frontrightspalted.jpg

Like I said though, there is not much being done with the shape as I don't have the tools to do what I would want so this is all going to be hand carved and sanded :D

Coming on though :)

Back
Top Bottom