What's new

Even the dwarves have gone digital

anubis

Mod Maker
The Golden Dwarf
I started thinking about this design at Christmas after watching The Hobbit film, I noticed that nearly all the dwarfs smoked a pipe as did the Hobbits and Gandalf himself. They all used hand made pipes with church warden type stems, all, that is except Fili the Dwarf whose pipe stood out because it looked similar to some of the old Tyrolean pipes found in Austria and Germany. It looked very interesting and was a work of art which inspired me to create a steampunk vaping version.
How it was built
I used a piece of sapele hard wood for the bowl (I've got quite a lot of that). It looks like mahogany and is a joy to work with. The bowl was turned on the lathe and a 25mm hole was bored down the centre. A 17.5mm forstner bit was used to create a base for the switch to sit on and a 12mm hole was cut in the middle of this base to accept the body of the switch, this was done on a drill press using a centre finder to make sure the hole was accurately cut so that it came out in the centre of the 25mm hole. Then using a tilting vice I cut a 30 degree 8mm hole near the bottom of the bowl to accept a piece of copper pipe that had been bent to an angle of 45 degrees. This piece of pipe was threaded at the top to accept the next piece - an acetal collet which had been shaped on the lathe. The collet was drilled through with a 7.5mm drill and an internal thread was cut part way through the bottom so that it would provide a stronger fit on the copper pipe. A 9mm hole was cut in the top of the collet to a depth of about 2mm. This was for the battery spring to sit on with the positive wire from the switch soldered on to it. The top part of the collet was reduced in diameter to 20mm for the top 4mm and 18mm for the next 4mm. The 20mm section was threaded so that the battery section could be screwed on later. The 18mm section had a 2mm hole drilled at an angle of 15 degrees so that the wire from the negative side of the switch could be poked through to make contact with the battery container. Then, using a high degree of mathematics’, I calculated the size of the battery container by adding together the sizes of the top part of the collet (8mm), the battery (66.5mm), the kick adapter (17mm), the varitube 510 connector (11.5mm) - this gave me a final measurement of 103mm. Because the battery sits on a spring, I decided to allow a 1mm gap, so I cut the battery tube (a piece of 22mm aluminium) to a length of 104mm. This tube was then threaded top and bottom to a depth of about 10mm. Another piece of acetal was reduced in size to 20mm, a hole was drilled through the centre and then threaded inside and out so that it could be screwed and glued on to the varitube 510 which could then be screwed into the battery compartment. The varitube 510 had a veropin soldered on to it so that it could make contact with the top of the kick adapter. The pipe and tube was powder coated with gold/brass coloured powder and then cooked for 10 minutes at 180 degrees. The tube was then painted again using stencils and spray paint which was then powder coated again using clear powder and re-cooked. As a final touch a brass pin was stuck on the bottom of the pipe bowl and a 40mm black Perspex disc was glued on to the top. The pipe stand was made from a 100mm x 50mm ceramic tile that had a green baize base with a piece of plastic pipe stuck on one end and a piece of chromed pipe with a bit of wood stuck on the other end.

The atomizer is a Kanger Aero Mega dual coil clone (which looks and feels identical to the real thing) and the drip tip is a stainless steel jobby connected to an angled adapter

GoldenDwarf-2.jpgGoldenDwarf-1.jpgGoldenDwarf-4.jpgGoldenDwarf-3.jpg

Now on sale on ebay with an auction time of 7 days and a starting price of £60 +£5 pp - The Golden Dwarf

I've just finished another one which has a thicker pipe (15mm instead of 8mm) and painted with "Antique Copper" powder coating which is a metalic copper with black specs in it. It looks rather striking. I have no pictures of this yet as I am waiting for a new stainless steel drip tip but I will post pictures when it turns up.

For more information check the website The Steampipe Emporium

Last edited:
Copper Dwarf

When I told my friends that the name of my new pipe was called "Copper Dwarf", they laughed - it's surprising what dirty minds people have (think about it)
Any way, here are the pictures

Dwarf-2.jpg Dwarf-1.jpg Dwarf-3.jpg Dwarf-4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom