What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Mod and tank stand in Yew

@Rossco Ell, do you do any other treatment to the wood once it is finished other than wax? I was looking at tung oil for mine but having never used it before didn't know if a simple wax finish would be better for ash.
Tung oil wouldn't give good protection to your piece on its own

PlumeBlu yep that would work for you, Idealy you'd be doing some practising on a scrap piece from the same wood. Lots of oil finishes need a long drying time

Bet it was a nice piece of wood till it had holes drilled in it....lol

I'm in no hurry to be honest and having read about tung oil it seems like I would be best giving it a couple of weeks before trying to wax it anyway. It has been sat on my desk partially sanded for a week now so it is not really that pressing :)

Unfortunately I don't have any scrap from this as it came as the block I started on, if I had a bandsaw I may be tempted to try and put a bit more shape into it like the one you posted in this thread, alas I only have basic wood working tools and skill though so basic carving, a bit of sanding, drilling the holes and then finishing is about as indepth as I am likely to go.

I'm in no hurry to be honest and having read about tung oil it seems like I would be best giving it a couple of weeks before trying to wax it anyway. It has been sat on my desk partially sanded for a week now so it is not really that pressing :)

Unfortunately I don't have any scrap from this as it came as the block I started on, if I had a bandsaw I may be tempted to try and put a bit more shape into it like the one you posted in this thread, alas I only have basic wood working tools and skill though so basic carving, a bit of sanding, drilling the holes and then finishing is about as indepth as I am likely to go.

Might be better off with Danish oil with wax as Tung oil takes forever to flash off......or a penetrating wax

Back
Top Bottom