What's new

Some advice on what to buy

spikey1

Postman
I want to treat myself to an authentic RTA in the New Year so am after some advice on what to get.

I'm strictly MTL but do like an airy draw doing so. I've used the banned c word of Taifun GT2, Hurricane V1.2 and UTA2.

I'm having problems finding genuine versions apart from the Hurricane V 1.3.

I'm fairly new to building so my skills are limited and want something easy which is why the Hurricane is looking good.

But what about the Calix, is that easy to build and wick? Also the Squape Rs but that looks a pain as the changeable deck gets stuck.

I have a few quid to spend so what do you think, is the Hurricane my best bet?

Cheers.

Hi spikey the hurricane v1.3 is great bud and easy to build on i have 2 at the moment. Any questions just pm me

Interesting time to consider a Calix as the new V2 Version has just been launched. I can only speak for myself, obviously, but for out and out consistency, I really love mine. They are easy enough to build upon and you have a great deal of flexibility when it comes to coiling choices. The Juice Control is to my mind the best of its type that I have had and personally, I like the airflow options which the V1 offers, but can see that the V2 will find great favour with the guys who want just a bit more than the V1 offered, well, actually, it offers MUCH more airflow and doesn't take it from the 510, which again, will find favour with many.
I love the idea that (once it is available) I can use all my V1 parts on the V2 Base, so this gives me a Quartz Tank which will not have any issues with potential Tank Crackers etc, etc.

The Hurricane: Another superb Atty, only spoiled by the PMMA Tank (again, this is only MY opinion ) but it is a very easy RTA to work upon and Coiling and Wicking is a dream. Great Airflow, Great Flavour and another very smart RTA. The only caution would be that some have been coming out of the factory in pretty rough states of late with regard to finish or lack of Quality Control. For my money, it's priced rather too high for what it brings to the table in the way of innovation and at the price, I am staggered that they offer nothing in the way of Spares with it!! Not even an O Ring!!

You "might" also consider a Taifun GT2 ? Same Build method as The Hurricane and same Flavour production. The other contender, in my eyes at least, has to be the Tilemahos V2. Another tremendous Flavour machine for us MTL Guys.

In order, from my perspective, it goes like this

1. The Calix
2, The TilemahosV2
3. The Taifun GT2
4. The Hurricane.

But this entire post would be failing if I didn't make mention of the GP Heron 1.5. Perhaps regarded as Old Technology now by some, but what an impressive Beast it is!! Avoid the latest Heron V2 for now, until the bugs have been ironed out.

Interesting time to consider a Calix as the new V2 Version has just been launched. I can only speak for myself, obviously, but for out and out consistency, I really love mine. They are easy enough to build upon and you have a great deal of flexibility when it comes to coiling choices. The Juice Control is to my mind the best of its type that I have had and personally, I like the airflow options which the V1 offers, but can see that the V2 will find great favour with the guys who want just a bit more than the V1 offered, well, actually, it offers MUCH more airflow and doesn't take it from the 510, which again, will find favour with many.
I love the idea that (once it is available) I can use all my V1 parts on the V2 Base, so this gives me a Quartz Tank which will not have any issues with potential Tank Crackers etc, etc.

The Hurricane: Another superb Atty, only spoiled by the PMMA Tank (again, this is only MY opinion ) but it is a very easy RTA to work upon and Coiling and Wicking is a dream. Great Airflow, Great Flavour and another very smart RTA. The only caution would be that some have been coming out of the factory in pretty rough states of late with regard to finish or lack of Quality Control. For my money, it's priced rather too high for what it brings to the table in the way of innovation and at the price, I am staggered that they offer nothing in the way of Spares with it!! Not even an O Ring!!

You "might" also consider a Taifun GT2 ? Same Build method as The Hurricane and same Flavour production. The other contender, in my eyes at least, has to be the Tilemahos V2. Another tremendous Flavour machine for us MTL Guys.

In order, from my perspective, it goes like this

1. The Calix
2, The TilemahosV2
3. The Taifun GT2
4. The Hurricane.

But this entire post would be failing if I didn't make mention of the GP Heron 1.5. Perhaps regarded as Old Technology now by some, but what an impressive Beast it is!! Avoid the latest Heron V2 for now, until the bugs have been ironed out.

Many thanks for both replies.

I suppose one thing in the Hurricane's favour for me, despite its lack of supplied spares, is that I know I can build on it having used a 'C'. I would probably also get the steel tank for those dodgy juices and can source it in the UK which is my preference.

BUT, I do like the look of the Calix if it is easy to build on.

I can't find a GT2 in the UK and have also not come across the Tilemahos.

Do you know of any UK suppliers?

Thanks again, S.

Many thanks for both replies.

I suppose one thing in the Hurricane's favour for me, despite its lack of supplied spares, is that I know I can build on it having used a 'C'. I would probably also get the steel tank for those dodgy juices and can source it in the UK which is my preference.

BUT, I do like the look of the Calix if it is easy to build on.

I can't find a GT2 in the UK and have also not come across the Tilemahos.

Do you know of any UK suppliers?

Thanks again, S.

Genuine Taifun GT2's can be picked up from intaste, and they are still an incredible MTL vape to this day-

http://www.intaste.de/smokerstore-taifun-gt-ii-selbstwickelverdampfer.html

Tilemahos you need esmokeguru-

http://www.esmokeguru.com/en/the-golden-greek-mods-de-en/tilemahos-v2-parts-en/

You won't be able to find a genuine taifun or tilemahos in the UK, however both of the above are top European based vendors. Shipping is normally 2-3 days.

MTL wise for me nothing tops the Rose V2, but you will have to keep your eyes open for a second hand one these days, they tend to go for £60-70 which is a complete bargain

For me the best all round mtl is the Ataman II. Can be found here http://titanium-mods.com/home/66-ataman-full-titanium.html

So easy to build and a pleasure to vape, @VapeMaster has some of their other atties and was considering an Ataman as well, not sure if anyone else here has one but they are missing out if they don't.

Someone did a review https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/forums/index.php?threads/Ataman-II.69237/

I'm really liking the Heron v2, but it's maybe a bit too fiddly to wick right if you want to do it right first time and are new to building.

If you want easy to build then I wouldn't suggest a rose v2, still drives me nuts trying to get the wire in those holes with the legs of the coil the right length, then there 4 holes to fill with cotton in an x wick, a lot of faff, they didn't make the snapdragon simple either with those posts. Seriously been considering parting with it.

I hate the Squape R, just not my thing, got the Squape R, stumpy kit and 3 decks for sale if it's your type thing.

@Rob was always going to say the Calix, I don't have one but want one and will be seriously considering it now there's a v2 [emoji4]

@dw1986 should have loads of suggestions seeing as he gets several new atties every week (or that's how it appears whenever I talk to him) [emoji39]

At the end of the day it's your choice and there's a lot to choose from. You can always sell it if it's not for you but if I were you I would take my time. Ease yourself into the murky world of addiction to buying expensive gear, then lose your house, wife, kids and everything you own just because you have lost control of your senses.

Last edited:
Prometey III from Titanium Mods is a great vape with very strong throat hit and quite easy to build but you have to faff around with filler material. Doesn't bother me but it might be extra hassle that you don't want.

Rose V2-S can be a hassle to build if you have large hands and I agree with @Jimmydids that getting the coil legs in the holes can be a pain in the ass. It is worth putting up with and getting used to because its a bloody good vape. Has juice flow control so high VG won't be a problem.

Tilemahos V2 Plus is a hot, flavoursome vape and pretty easy to build. Its also somewhat cheaper than most other authentics. I found wicking slightly annoying and got a lot of dry hits until I used a lot less cotton then I had no more problems. Also has juice flow control.

Squape RS is an absolute doddle to build and the airflow is very flexible so you can do MTL or direct lung inhales. Not everyone gets on with it and I would only recommend it with the B deck. Advantage of this one is it crops up second hand often.

Heron V2 is a lovely vape, easy to build and fill but for me the wicking on the Heron 1.5 is more straightforward and the V2 doesn't seem to give layered flavour like the 1.5. V2 is more like a Spheroid V4 on crack and is very different to the 1.5.

Heron 1.5, piss easy to build, exceptional layered flavour, hot vape, perfect MTL tank, easy to fill. My favourite tank and I would own more of them but they are like rocking horse shit.

My Squape-R has a W deck and that's all it gets.

Personally, I find the Herons too tight and prone to spitting. Taifuns leak and the build deck is still something Noah got fucked off with. The Rose was designed to be an over-complicated equivalent of the joy you get from catching your foreskin in a zip.

I also like the Change V1.

The end.

My Squape-R has a W deck and that's all it gets.

Personally, I find the Herons too tight and prone to spitting. Taifuns leak and the build deck is still something Noah got fucked off with. The Rose was designed to be an over-complicated equivalent of the joy you get from catching your foreskin in a zip.

I also like the Change V1.

The end.

Succinct? Possibly
Bitter? Maybe
Mawsley? Definitely

I listened to @Mawsley when I was new to original gear and bought the Heron v1.5 at vapefest 2014, excellent advice, I will never part with it. I bought a Rose v2 from @Mawsley, and although I regularly consider parting with it (due to excess faffing about) I haven't so far. Taifuns (and kayfuns) leak for me as well so there's something to be gained from his advice (send him a PM, he's much more helpful when he's talking 121 ) [emoji12]

Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Having taken a look at most, what I finally go for may be down to how easy it is to source, as I mentioned previously a UK supplier would be my preference and most of the suggestions so far need to be ordered elsewhere in the EU!

Back
Top Bottom