What's new

Working with Titanium wire.

So I'm cleaning this wire with an alcohol solution then rinsing with water and alot of the shiny coating is coming off leaving a matt finish that kinda looks like oxidation (I haven't installed the wire or fired it) is this normal?

Btw I assume it's ok to fire it with some dry cotton inside the coil to make sure it works?

Water seems to be more effective than alcohol at removing the graphite.

Bright finish wires like our titanium doesn't have the oxide layer removed like acid washed wires. There's actually an advantage to this as because a nice oxide layer is already formed it's less prone to oxidising further. That's what I've been told anyway

Also titanium oxide which is purpley grey is fine and forms naturally on titanium in contact with air. Titanium dioxide or TiO2 is the white oxide we want to avoid which is formed by overheating

I have found that to be the case too. I've been cleaning with both alcohol and soapy water but I think I'll just skip the alcohol from now on.

Bright finish wires like our titanium doesn't have the oxide layer removed like acid washed wires. There's actually an advantage to this as because a nice oxide layer is already formed it's less prone to oxidising further. That's what I've been told anyway
Interesting, thanks.

We're being quoted for post production cleaning methods. Steam, high pressure water, ultrasonic or mechanical. The dream would be to have all four

Also titanium oxide which is purpley grey is fine and forms naturally on titanium in contact with air. Titanium dioxide or TiO2 is the white oxide we want to avoid which is formed by overheating

Thanks for the clarification, much appreciated.

I've had to abandon my Ti experiments for now as I wasted about 1m of wire and 3 days trying to get an evic mini to behave but the unit is faulty and Joyetech isn't interested in helping so I'm using SS for now :(

Good to know you're on the case with these things though and pre-cleaned wire would be great!

Hearing that a lot about evics actually. It's nothing you're doing wrong

I've got a dual Ti build in my Cthulhu v2 and using the TCR csv for Titanium 1 from Steam Engine. Is that the correct csv to use for your Ti wire or is there a better one about?

That's the correct CSV :)

I'm glad I decided to revisit this thread earlier today. I built a dual coil 26g Ti in my Cthulhu v2 last night and this was the first time I had tried Ti on my Lavabox. The vape wasn't great (hence my question about the csv). I realised I'd not been cleaning the wire before hand and I don't pulse Ti so this may well have been contributing to my issues with it. Took the build out and did a new one using 24g Ti and cleaned it with hot water first togged anything of it, and I also followed the advice of @Mr Numpty earlier in the thread when doing this.

Just taken a vape and the difference between the builds are like night and day. Last nights build I'd set to 240c and it was pretty weak. I've set this new one to 210c and it's not weak at all. So much better and I'm starting to see what all the fuss is about now :)

I'm glad I decided to revisit this thread earlier today. I built a dual coil 26g Ti in my Cthulhu v2 last night and this was the first time I had tried Ti on my Lavabox. The vape wasn't great (hence my question about the csv). I realised I'd not been cleaning the wire before hand and I don't pulse Ti so this may well have been contributing to my issues with it. Took the build out and did a new one using 24g Ti and cleaned it with hot water first togged anything of it, and I also followed the advice of @Mr Numpty earlier in the thread when doing this.

Just taken a vape and the difference between the builds are like night and day. Last nights build I'd set to 240c and it was pretty weak. I've set this new one to 210c and it's not weak at all. So much better and I'm starting to see what all the fuss is about now :)
Oh that's great :)

Just wanted to add my experience with titanium, the first TC device i had was a evic vt which worked well for a while until it kept jumping out of temp mode.
then I got the IPV4s which pushed me into Titanium as I could get the vape I wanted at around 80-90 joules. whereas NI200 at 50 joules just didn't have the power i wanted.

favourite coils were dual twisted ti 0.25mm

Once the Hcigar VT200 arrived I couldn't get decent results with TI ,but NI200 was great, nice and stable with a flat curve on escribe.

SS was even more erratic than titanium.

Anyway, I have been a firm believer that TI should be spaced and not heated before wicking and juicing.

last weekend as I have loads of TI I thought I would have a play with it .

the result;- for the first time since I have been vaping I have had the same coils in a dripper for nearly a week!

the coils have been stable, vape consistent, and I haven't had to rewick, In fact I have recoiled two more drippers exactly the same way and now all 3 give exactly the same experience.

So the coils are all on velocity drippers with new SS grub screws from westfield fasteners
Dual coil
0.4 TI wrapped on a coil master 3mm shank 10 wraps

these are contact coils
and I put the drippers on the ipv4s on power mode and pulsed them at 10 watts squeezing them together with ceramic tweezers.

Not enough to see them glow but after a while you can just see the coils darkening in the centre.
then they are ready. loosely wicked.
on the escribe device monitor results, once it reaches Temp it is as stable as NI200.
ti contact col.JPG
Try it, all you can lose is 1/2 an hour of your time and a foot of TI

Again please don't try heating ti coils unless you are absolutely sure you have the equipment to do it safely.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom