What's new

Wicking and TC

EmbraSewerRat

Veteran
Evening all.

So first off, cheers you swines, thanks to you I did go buy some Niffy and some Ti from the delightful and fragrant @stealthvape. Good call, the niffy is lovely and dare I say it the Ti is no too bad either. Vast improvement over thon damned fiddly and pernickety Ni200.

So, Wee Q: wicking in TC coils?
Am I still going for the just tight enough ala Kanthal builds or am I aiming for a looser fit for the cotton?
Should I be getting wee bits of charring with the Niffy? Or am I going wrong somewhere?

Finally, can I do the pulse out the spots to get an even glow for the coil with the Niffy?

Cheers all.

Evening all.

So first off, cheers you swines, thanks to you I did go buy some Niffy and some Ti from the delightful and fragrant @stealthvape. Good call, the niffy is lovely and dare I say it the Ti is no too bad either. Vast improvement over thon damned fiddly and pernickety Ni200.

So, Wee Q: wicking in TC coils?
Am I still going for the just tight enough ala Kanthal builds or am I aiming for a looser fit for the cotton?
Should I be getting wee bits of charring with the Niffy? Or am I going wrong somewhere?

Finally, can I do the pulse out the spots to get an even glow for the coil with the Niffy?

Cheers all.
It should be looser than kanthal more like the nickel coils but you can go with a little more than nickel coils. Little charred spots mean you've got a hot wrap or two, You can dry burn but don't squeeze the coil - it will fuse wraps together. Dry burn, then strum the coils to make sure the wraps are seperated that will usually sort out the hot wraps...

I'm in much the same place, @EmbraSewerRat
Loving NIffy and persisting with Ti having dumped my Ni200 wire
You didn't mention this but I assume you're doing standard, spaced coils and not microcoils? At a guess, I'm putting about 90% of the cotton into Ti and Niffy that I would in a kanthal coil, though I guess that's not terribly helpful to you. I'm also now using slightly less cotton in kanthal builds than I was previously. IME spaced coils still heat up from the centre out.

I still see darkening on my TC coils and wicks but it's not burnt juice. My daily juice is a tobacco base with Stevia to sweeten, I fully expect darkening to happen. I'm past the initial disappointment and failures with TC, now I'm getting good flavour tank after tank, coils and wicks are lasting longer. Best of all for me, a TC vape is no longer a cool vape. Not the very warm result I get from dual claptons but very satisfying.

I have progressively reduced the wicking in TC coils and it has improved the vape each time I have, until my wicks now look like wet socks hanging over an airer. And vaping brilliantly. Hard to say but somewhere between 60-80% of kanthal coil wicking. I don't worry if some of the wick isn't touching the inside of the coil when first juiced up, let's put it that way. If there's ANY resistance when pulling the wick through, it's too much for me. That's with titanium mind, no idea about Niffy coils.

Thought I'd show you this. I removed the wicks from my NIffy build in the Aromamizer. Put about 18mls through it at 40J and 200C on the iPV D2.
There was discolouration from my juice but from the flavour I could tell nothing was burning. Anyway, despite the fact that it was still wicking well I decided to rewick today and check ... after rinsing and padding them dry there's barely a scorch mark on the wicks and they were in great shape!

By comparison I have to rewick the claptons every day.

Attachments

• NiFe30 2post 28oct.jpg
    NiFe30 2post 28oct.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 238
  • NiFe30 wicks.jpg
    NiFe30 wicks.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 212
Thought I'd show you this. I removed the wicks from my NIffy build in the Aromamizer. Put about 18mls through it at 40J and 200C on the iPV D2.
There was discolouration from my juice but from the flavour I could tell nothing was burning. Anyway, despite the fact that it was still wicking well I decided to rewick today and check ... after rinsing and padding them dry there's barely a scorch mark on the wicks and they were in great shape!

By comparison I have to rewick the claptons every day.

Looks like you've got the TC working nicely for you. I think everyone has that bump in the road getting a cool vape when they first start with TC...

Back
Top Bottom