What's new

Why drop to lower resistance in TC? genuine (but probably stupid) question

allen

Postman
Hi folks.

My rx200 arrived today. I've had a titanium . 25 coil ready and waiting on a spare subtank deck. (4 wraps of .4 wire)
It was on in about 2 minutes. Good flavour and reasonable clouds :)

So my question is this........
On my mech mod, i drop ohms to get bigger clouds and flavour. If TC keeps everything constant, what would i gain by dropping down lower?
The only obvious difference to me might be better wicking due to bigger spaces. Anything else?

Thanks

Ohms don't deliver "bigger clouds and flavour" ... that requires heat and airflow. Ohms is just a number relating to the resistance of the coil. Different metals have different resistant properties, metal wires used for TC have less resistance than kanthal.

Hi folks.

My rx200 arrived today. I've had a titanium . 25 coil ready and waiting on a spare subtank deck. (4 wraps of .4 wire)
It was on in about 2 minutes. Good flavour and reasonable clouds :)

So my question is this........
On my mech mod, i drop ohms to get bigger clouds and flavour. If TC keeps everything constant, what would i gain by dropping down lower?
The only obvious difference to me might be better wicking due to bigger spaces. Anything else?

Thanks
The lower resistances are due to the nature of the wires used for TC, all the current wire types used for TC have low resistance - in fact nickel was often used as the No Resistance bit in premade coil heads for Protanks and the like.

The lower resistances are due to the nature of the wires used for TC, all the current wire types used for TC have low resistance - in fact nickel was often used as the No Resistance bit in premade coil heads for Protanks and the like.
Sorry, maybe i worded it badly.
My question isn't so much why is it lower by default - what benefit would i get from going lower (using thicker wire and/or less coils to do so)?

The struggle with TC vaping is trying to get high enough. The higher the better for accuracy of TC.

Sorry, maybe i worded it badly.
My question isn't so much why is it lower by default - what benefit would i get from going lower (using thicker wire and/or less coils to do so)?
As @Mr Numpty says the thing with TC is to get the resistance as High as possible - the higher the initial resistance of the coil the bigger the change per degree of temperature. this means that the accuracy is higher. Remember these are regulated mods so the resistance is not the controlling factor with regard power delivery.

Thanks folks.

I've been confused by the amount of people who seem to be aiming for .15 to .2
I struggled to get down to .15 - i used 4 wraps of .5 for that coil (not tried it yet).
getting higher would be very easy. Just use thinner wire.

So i need to stop trying to go low and let it go up instead?
After cloud chasing, that seems almost blasphemous [emoji6]

Thanks folks.

I struggled to get down to .15 - i used 4 wraps of .5 for that coil (not tried it yet).

Yeah, it's when you dual coil build that the struggle begins to get them up to 0.15 Ohms. Easy enough with titanium, a little harder with NiFe30 depending on the atty and a complete pain with nickel.

Yeah, it's when you dual coil build that the struggle begins to get them up to 0.15 Ohms. Easy enough with titanium, a little harder with NiFe30 depending on the atty and a complete pain with nickel.

So titanium is the highest resistance of those 3?
That was the nugget i needed!

What's SS like for TC?

got to say this set up has sold me on TC. My favourite flavour has a new lease of life at 420F. Awesome

Thanks for your advice folks. All of you. It's appreciated

0.15 Ohm is rough minimum target for most TC wires (not SS), there is no issue in going higher (as explained above).

What's SS like for TC?

I haven't bothered trying it because its accuracy is poor. As a guide, to get the accuracy of a 0.15 Ohm Ti coil, you would need to be at 0.5-0.6 Ohm with SS and this would require a lot more wraps. There are plenty of people who seem to like it though.

See: https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/...threads/tc-accuracy-and-wire-selection.87131/

Back
Top Bottom