What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Which DNA based Mod should I choose?

Doc_Gonzo

Postman
Hello all!
I am hoping for some advice as to which DNA Mod to go for. . . or if you think I should stick to the devices I own such as the K-box 120W, VTC Mini, Cuboid, Sigelei Fuchai, RX200S.

GearBest have some good deals on at the moment and I have always wanted to try a DNA based Mod. However, I do like the simplicity of the Mods previously mentioned. I like being able to set my wire type (SS316) and just play around with the temperature settings and away I go!

I have never used the TCR Mode and do not want to. Do the DNA Mods require that you use this?

I have been looking at the HCigar VT75 - rather sexy in Tiffany blue! I have also read that it has a few issues - like flashing a weak battery warning when the battery is nearly full - and another issues with it giving electric shocks. Kind of off-putting. I gather that there is an update for the weak battery warning where it flashes the battery icon instead - so it might be okay?

I have also seen the S - BODY VapeDroid C1D2 but haven't had time to look up reviews yet. This Mod and the one above both give you a choice of using either 26650 or 18650 batteries and I find this a Plus.

Then they have the Original Lost Vape Therion for around the same price. This is a dual battery Mod and I assume that this solves the weak battery warning. I am not bothered by a single of dual battery Mod given how small they have got.

My big question is - can I use TC with SS coils, without having to work out TCR values and use it in the same manner as the devices that I already owned. . . or do I have to mess around with the Escribe software to set it up correctly.

What does everyone think? All opinions welcome and thanks for reading. FYI, I have the Griffin 25, OBS Crius and the Plus version, TFV4, Billow V2, Billow V3 Plus, 3 x Crown atomizers and a few Subtanks and the Eleaf Lemo 2 - all of which I use in TC mode and exclusively with SS coils.

Peace out!

Last edited:
To get the very best out of any DNA device a bit of tinkering in escribe is needed but it is not complicated really. It is best to download csv files from stemengine and use these for your chosen coil not use tcr values. SMY devices are pretty good with their set up, a good amount of pre-loaded materials if you only want a DNA75 http://www.cigabuy.com/authentic-laude-dr75-75w-tc-dna75-chipset-mod-black-p-8859.html is set up by DJS vapes and has 316l pre loaded, I have the SMY DNA75 which is the same as this and think it's a great little mod.

Personally I now mainly use Hcigar VT133 mods now, enough power most the time and I find the convenience of using 18650 batteries better than being stuck to a charger and battery life is great, if you look around you can find the VT133 for around £70.

I have a variety of DNA Devices, both DNA75 an 200, The DNA75 is good if you want small single battery devices (and thats where the weak battery thing comes from - people using poor quality batteries with lots of sag) but I'd reccomend the Hotcig DX 75 as being a bit more comfortable to hold, You don't need to use TCR with any DNA board above the DNA40's, and all the new versions of the DNA75 and 200 come with some material profiles already loaded, It's pretty easy however to use escribe to add or remove material profiles to a device and to do lots more customisation besides. Basic use of escribe will allow you to quickly upload all the wire types to your device so that you can switch wire type on the mod using button presses (5 click lock, then pres and hold all three buttons to acces materials, use the up and down to select from loaded types and fire to confirm). I've also got an SMY DNA75 on the way as thats a nice little single 18650 pocket mod that should work nicely with a small tank on top. The DNA200's work just as well but mostly use Lipo's - some of which are terribly small and wont last much longer than a day even at "Sensible" wattages - If you're set on a DNA200 I'd suggest the Triade - Since the RX DNA200's no longer seem to be available.

H
I have a variety of DNA Devices, both DNA75 an 200, The DNA75 is good if you want small single battery devices (and thats where the weak battery thing comes from - people using poor quality batteries with lots of sag) but I'd reccomend the Hotcig DX 75 as being a bit more comfortable to hold, You don't need to use TCR with any DNA board above the DNA40's, and all the new versions of the DNA75 and 200 come with some material profiles already loaded, It's pretty easy however to use escribe to add or remove material profiles to a device and to do lots more customisation besides. Basic use of escribe will allow you to quickly upload all the wire types to your device so that you can switch wire type on the mod using button presses (5 click lock, then pres and hold all three buttons to acces materials, use the up and down to select from loaded types and fire to confirm). I've also got an SMY DNA75 on the way as thats a nice little single 18650 pocket mod that should work nicely with a small tank on top. The DNA200's work just as well but mostly use Lipo's - some of which are terribly small and wont last much longer than a day even at "Sensible" wattages - If you're set on a DNA200 I'd suggest the Triade - Since the RX DNA200's no longer seem to be available.
Hi @Tubbyengineer , I am awaiting my first DNA75 and see you mention batteries being the cause for the weak battery message people talk about.

I generally use 25R's or HE4's for my single 18650 devices, as I find these to have much less sag than a higher capacity battery like the 30Q or HG2, these do get used in my dual or triple 18650 devices though.

Do you think these would be good choices for the DNA75? Or would you recommend something different to avoid the weak battery warning?

Thanks, Conan.

Part of the benefit of dna chips is the ability to customize your settings. Theres a load of tutorials and information on the web. A bit daunting at first but Once you familiarize yourself with escribe its a piece of cake and alot fun.
While some but not all dna box mod manufacturers have pre programmed tc presets, to take full advantage of dna yes you will need to customize your tc settings.

I realise I did not reply to the original post, sorry about that!

As @Tubbyengineer mentioned, some profiles come already loaded for different wire types, and SS 316 is one of them, so you could use the device straight out of the box, but I feel the devices really shine with Escribe and the option to customise them.

The therion is a lovely looking device, and you will benefit from a longer runtime with 2 18650's vs 1 or 1 26650 due to the way regulated mods work, at the same wattage setting a dual 18650 device will be pulling less amps from the batteries than a single 18650 device as the input voltage is higher.

So yes, you can use SS 316 without Escribe if you wanted, but I think you will want to tweak your mod via Escribe-it is not too hard to do and you can make it exactly how you like it.

So mod wise it is really up to you, for the DNA75 I have chosen a SMY model, while I own a few DNA200's. I prefer the 18650 ones over my Li-Po powered models, although they are all great devices.

Thanks to everyone for the replies!
I went ahead and ordered the HCigar VT75 and think I got a bargain for £50.
I did a bit of research and found someone saying that the weak battery message had been 'fixed' in an update that's downloaded when you get the Escribe software. Instead of the words flashing on the screen, the battery icon now flashes instead - much less obtrusive. I have also heard that if you lower the preheat wattage from the 75W the device comes set at, then that will also help the situation.
I use TC and I generally don't go above 50W, so that's cool with me! For batteries, I have mostly 25r's, 30Q's, and HG2's. . . with a few older Efests still in rotation but just used in a K-box.
I will be looking at 26650 batteries. . . . so if anyone has any suggestions. . . . they'd be most welcome :eek:)
I will look forward to giving Escribe a go but it's good to know that I can use the Mod straight out of the box If I don't immediately have time to download and play with it.
I almost bought the 'Lost Vape Therion' as that looks to be a good Mod. . . . and if I get hooked on DNA devices, I will be putting that on my 'wishlist' :2thumbsup:
Happy Vaping everyone - and thanks again!

I find E-Scribe quite difficult for me but I also have a serious memory issue as well. I only have one DNA and that's a blue HEX-NA , I really like it as a normal mod but would really love to take a few E-Scribe lesson's so that I can really make it "mymod"
I am only joining in on the topic of this post,, wonderful idea I must admit!!
Cheers from Canada,,, InkyJay

I generally use 25R's or HE4's for my single 18650 devices, as I find these to have much less sag than a higher capacity battery like the 30Q or HG2, these do get used in my dual or triple 18650 devices though.

Do you think these would be good choices for the DNA75? Or would you recommend something different to avoid the weak battery warning?

I use HG2s in my SMY SDNA75 and have never had weak battery warnings from sag, so I reckon you'll be fine. I think the sag issue comes into play with 26650s - I'm sure in the VapnFagan review he says he only has the problem with 26650s and not 18650s. This was one of the reasons I went for a slimmer 18650 device rather than a 26650-compatible one.

I find E-Scribe quite difficult for me but I also have a serious memory issue as well. I only have one DNA and that's a blue HEX-NA , I really like it as a normal mod but would really love to take a few E-Scribe lesson's so that I can really make it "mymod"
I am only joining in on the topic of this post,, wonderful idea I must admit!!
Cheers from Canada,,, InkyJay

Hi mate-I also have memory issues due to a period I was hospitalised in 2014, my short term memory has suffered quite a lot, with Escribes newest version you can choose just how in depth you want it to be, I am sure you will be OK with Escribe, I learned by using the tutorial Evolv provide.

I hope you can get a grasp of it, I promise for the majority of things you will want to change it is very simple-it is just a bit daunting to look at if you have no idea around the software.

Back
Top Bottom