What's new

What's the deal with SS?

playtimesover

Postman
I've noticed that SS TC is becoming the new big thing. I've been fairly unimpressed with Ni200 and have mainly neglected any TC vaping until recently when I decided to give it another shot with Ti wire, which has given me a denser more flavourful vape.

My question is, in what way does using SS differ from Ti / Ni200 wire and is it worth looking into? If so my next question would be, can you recommend any mods that run SS in TC mode that won't break the bank.

Cheers

SS is quite poor for TC in comparison to some others that are available, see here, but I think its rise in popularity is partly because it can be vaped in TC and power mode as well as being very easy to work with. Much as it has poor characteristics for a TC wire, I have found it performs quite well if you get the resistance high enough. It tends to be a little fiery in that the temp tends to run away on longer draws, but short to medium draws are fine. If you're looking for better TC wires than NI200 (and even Ti to some extent) look no further than Stealthvape's NiFe30.

The evic VTC mini is a fabulous budget mod for TC with SS or indeed any wire, present or future, with its TCR settings.

I've noticed that SS TC is becoming the new big thing. I've been fairly unimpressed with Ni200 and have mainly neglected any TC vaping until recently when I decided to give it another shot with Ti wire, which has given me a denser more flavourful vape.

My question is, in what way does using SS differ from Ti / Ni200 wire and is it worth looking into? If so my next question would be, can you recommend any mods that run SS in TC mode that won't break the bank.

Cheers
I'd leave SS alone as a TC wire - It's just not very accurate - the coefficient of resistance is so low that the change between 300f and 350f is very small meaning that the mod struggles to hold to an accurate temperature...
Heres the Temperature chart for SS316 in a Heron V2 on a DNA200
SS316.PNG

Heres Titanium - Again in a Heron V2 on a DNA200
Titanium.PNG

The flat red line is the set temperature, Purple is the actual resistance of the coil, the third line is the actual temperature the mod thinks it's hitting...
See how spiky the SS316 is compared to Titanium...

As Mr Numpty and Tubby say SS is not the best for TC but is easy to work with, I started with SS316L for TC but have moved on to NiFe, much more accurate for TC and still good to work with and great flavour.

For a mod, evic VTC mini, cuboid and RX200 are great budget TC mods, with the up-gradable firmware and TCR modes pretty much cover all TC needs and work well enough for a nice TC experience.

Although I have almost no interest in tc I've been looking at ss now I own a tc capable mod, on a learning curve sort of thing. Does ss put unnecessary strain on a mod in tc mode, can it damage the mod electronics?

Thanks for the help guys, I massively appreciate it.

Guess I'll look at giving NiFe a shot when I get round to my next mod purchase (thinking of holding off till the evic-two comes out to see what that's like otherwise cuboid it is).

Guess I'll look at giving NiFe a shot when I get round to my next mod purchase (thinking of holding off till the evic-two comes out to see what that's like otherwise cuboid it is).

You can also run Stealthvape NiFe30 in Ni mode, it works pretty well (but better with manual TCR)

Although I have almost no interest in tc I've been looking at ss now I own a tc capable mod, on a learning curve sort of thing. Does ss put unnecessary strain on a mod in tc mode, can it damage the mod electronics?
No not at all, it's just the accuracy, that said I've found the overall vape experience to be not that much different to Titanium or NiFe30, I just prefer the ease of NiFe30 or the durability of Titanium...

Back
Top Bottom