What's new

Titanium is so much better than nickel

I just did my second build with titanium. First was with 28 awg on my Subtank rba, it came out at about .4 ohms, second was on my Uwell rba with 26 awg, came out at about .3 ohms, had to try this one twice.

First try was a freakin' disaster, had to bite my tongue a bit cos the bugger wouldn't sit right, second try the the coil was good but the tank dumped juice everywhere cos I hadn't put the top cap on properly FFS noob lol! No brainer, I rescued it and using it now!

One thing I did notice is titanium is a pain in the arse to work with, some people liken it to kanthal...I say try it for yourself, the only thing titanium shares with kanthal is its shiny and is measured by awg! Mind once you get past titaniums springy nature and stubbornness, it works excellent with TC but whatever coils you create, they won't be pretty!

I can't vouch for nickel cos I have a nickel allergy (not severe but enough to worry about air getting to my lungs), I did try stock ni200 coils but they caused my throat to swell, weird I say cos I thought it would be safe for me like many others but after experimenting with various juices and wire types, same result for me. As soon as I went back to Ni my throat would start...go figure! I always keep a glass of water to hand and I only use 12mg nic. I am not scare mongering but in my experience... Ni is not for me, its just not worth it.

Sorry about the epic post!

Mind once you get past titaniums springy nature and stubbornness, it works excellent with TC but whatever coils you create, they won't be pretty!

Ha ha, my first attempts were pretty ugly but they seemed to work just fine. So I bought the coilmaster 3 and ... then they were REALLY ugly as I can't seem to make the fucker work at all. Fortunately, my good lady was an instant dab hand with it and has made me the prettiest coils you've ever seen. Going to spend tomorrow practicing and hopefully I'll (coil)master it before I run out of wire.

Ha ha, my first attempts were pretty ugly but they seemed to work just fine. So I bought the coilmaster 3 and ... then they were REALLY ugly as I can't seem to make the fucker work at all. Fortunately, my good lady was an instant dab hand with it and has made me the prettiest coils you've ever seen. Going to spend tomorrow practicing and hopefully I'll (coil)master it before I run out of wire.

The trick to the coilmaster is not to be tempted to push the end cap toward the main body of the coiler as you turn it - doing that will just result in ugly spirally tangly things that bear no resemblance to actual coils, just keep a very light pressure on the cap as you turn it - just enough to stop it being pushed away from the body of the coiler.

I find if I do a 2mm coil it doesnt quite expand enough for my preferred 2.5mm inner dia but if I do a 2.5 it expands out to 3mm or so and touches the screws in the Herons deck, I overcome it by pulling the coil off the coiler, flipping it over unwinding the extra turn I did and then gripping both ends of the wire with pliers and pulling hard to tighten it up around the coilers post. I did a few earlier for practice and while they have expanded a little they are still below 3mm probably about 2.7 so they should be fine...

The trick to the coilmaster is not to be tempted to push the end cap toward the main body of the coiler as you turn it - doing that will just result in ugly spirally tangly things that bear no resemblance to actual coils, just keep a very light pressure on the cap as you turn it - just enough to stop it being pushed away from the body of the coiler.

I find if I do a 2mm coil it doesnt quite expand enough for my preferred 2.5mm inner dia but if I do a 2.5 it expands out to 3mm or so and touches the screws in the Herons deck, I overcome it by pulling the coil off the coiler, flipping it over unwinding the extra turn I did and then gripping both ends of the wire with pliers and pulling hard to tighten it up around the coilers post. I did a few earlier for practice and while they have expanded a little they are still below 3mm probably about 2.7 so they should be fine...

Thanks. Yes, the "coils" I produced were just tangles of wire. I'm about to try again with a lighter hand.

I have a question, though. The Ti coils my OH produced with the coilmaster were very much unspaced. Is it ok to use Ti unspaced or do I have to stretch them out a bit? As far as function and safety goes that is.

Last edited:
Thanks. Yes, the "coils" I produced were just tangles of wire. I'm about to try again with a lighter hand.

I have a question, though. The Ti coils my OH produced with the coilmaster were very much unspaced. Is it ok to use Ti unspaced or do I have to stretch them out a bit. As far as function and safety goes that is.

I've had mixed results, though it could be down to the firmware on the SX Mini. I'm running a Ti microcoil in the Origen on a DNA40 thats giving nice results, fairly steady ohms readings (Varying occasionally between 0.29 and 0.30), stable results temperature wise. While no matter what I tried I was getting odd results on the SX Mini, I'd set a resistance, then after a while it would go cold and weak, I'd lock the resistance again and it would have changed by 0.01 or so and the vape would be a little better, so I'd heat the coil slightly and lock it 0.01 to 0.02 above the previous reading and everything would be fine for a while then I'd have to go through the whole malarkey again, plus I was getting utterly horrendous battery sag - nearly 50% according to the display, so I'm going to wait for the DNA200's to land on my doorstep then try again. I'll also try some of the NiFe wire from Stealthvape once he gets it in, it has a TCR Closer to Nickel than Titanium does, but the added Iron gives higher resistances and should make the wire stiffer than Nickel...

So just done my first Ti 0.5mm single coil build which came out at 0.29 put it in my dripper and wicked it etc flavour is immense but 1 problem I'm vaping at 130-150c and my istick 40w is absolutely red hot after only 5 puffs any ideas why ?

Just got home from work to find mine on the doormat.. At last.... First attempt at a dual coil in the velocity clone came out at 0.26 (10 wraps 26 g slightly seperated happy with that).Set to 300 c ti01 40j... Bloody he'll the flavour is immense. Lovely cumulus nimbus in my living room

IMG_20150911_171328.jpg
IMG_20150911_171506.jpg

Been chugging it for ages trying to dry it out... Wick looks bone dry but still producing plenty of vapour.. Fuck knows where the juice is coming from

Back
Top Bottom