What's new

The Crown Joules.

Mr Numpty

Veteran
My crude (lack of?) understanding about Joules settings was that it simply determined how quickly the coil ramped up to the desired temperature, so I've just been setting my D2 to its max' 50J, which seemed to work perfectly satisfactorily. Pretty instant ramp up and then constant temp. Fine.

Then I read someone talking about how perhaps some people might like to set a fairly high temp' with lower Joules and let the warmth build up rather than slam into it, so I've played around a little and am currently vaping at 400F and 30J and it is just exquisite. About a 2 second ramp up to a lovely warm and dense vape. I'm not sure why the vapour temperature I like can be found anywhere between 380 and 450F at different times, even within the same atty/coil set up, but at this moment it is found at 400F.

Anyway, talk to me about Joules, please. How do you use them? Where do you set them and why? Do you use different Joules settings for different set-ups? Are they only about the ramp up time or is there more to it? Am I correct in assuming that battery life will be better at 30J than 50?

Last edited:
My crude (lack of?) understanding about Joules settings was that it simply determined how quickly the coil ramped up to the desired temperature, so I've just been setting my D2 to its max' 50J, which seemed to work perfectly satisfactorily. Pretty instant ramp up and then constant temp. Fine.

Then I read someone talking about how perhaps some people might like to set a fairly high temp' with lower Joules and let the warmth build up rather than slam into it, so I've played around a little and am currently vaping at 400F and 30J and it is just exquisite. About a 2 second ramp up to a lovely warm and dense vape. I'm not sure why the vapour temperature I like can be found anywhere between 380 and 450F at different times, even within the same atty/coil set up, but at this moment it is found at 400F.

Anyway, talk to me about Joules, please. How do you use them? Where do you set them and why? Do you use different Joules settings for different set-ups? Are they only about the ramp up time or is there more to it? Am I correct in assuming that battery life will be better at 30J than 50?

The Joule is just 1 watt for 1 second, so really it's just like setting watts, I think it's likely you're compensating for the lower power by not drawing on it so hard, changing the airflow rate will change how the atty reacts to the power being put through it.

The Joule is just 1 watt for 1 second, so really it's just like setting watts, I think it's likely you're compensating for the lower power by not drawing on it so hard, changing the airflow rate will change how the atty reacts to the power being put through it.

Hmm, feels like I'm drawing the same as previously. Irrespective of that though, the lower joules will result in a slower ramp up to the set temp', no?

Hmm, feels like I'm drawing the same as previously. Irrespective of that though, the lower joules will result in a slower ramp up to the set temp', no?

Yes, lower powers should result in a slower ramp up time and more stability - less fluctuation due to overruns - depending on how the mod handles power delivery

Back
Top Bottom