What's new

TC - the maths and the real world

....Is this really for vapers or 0.0000001% of vapers geeky enough to spend hours inputting data and setting up stuff that the manufacturers should be setting up?....
Well....yes lol. And enough users are loving it enough for them to cream it for what it's worth until they bring out the devices which cost them more investment to produce, the devices which just work without users having to get 'up to speed'. It is a bit like the early days of radio with people making their own crystal sets right now, but it's sort of fun in a way. Even if I had a device which did it all I would still probably mess around with coils and have a go at making a mod, just because it's a hobby thing, but for the purposes of just switching from tobacco to vaping it's a bit overwhelming. I really don't think anyone should need to know what this means:

2000px-ohms_law_pie_chart-svg.png

You see, I looked at a review of a Dicodes mod and marvelled at how much user-adjustable it is .... no, I'm lying, I laughed like a drain and thought it was simply crazy.
Same goes for the escribe software for the DNA200 - I laughed my head off. Is this really for vapers or 0.0000001% of vapers geeky enough to spend hours inputting data and setting up stuff that the manufacturers should be setting up?

These mods certainly aren't marketed at the average vaper, they are aimed at the geeky ones. I've got a Dicodes mod and it's not hours of setup time, you just change 1 setting (TCR) whenever you screw in an atty with a different wire type. I don't have a DNA200 yet, but as far as I can tell you just download a TCR profile for each wire you plan to use. That's probably not going to be more than 3 or 4 profiles.

What are Evolv doing here - passing the buck onto users? They need to get real. That's not an advance, it's arse about face, that's the tail wagging the damn dog again.
It's just symptomatic of how early days the technology is. We'll all look back on this and laugh one day.

You could similarly criticize RBAs for passing the job of building on to the user.

Rebuilding gives you more control to customize your vape and tune it to what you want it to do, customizable TCR settings does something analogous. Stock coils are fine for some people, there's nothing wrong with that, but I think it's also understandable that some people choose to avoid the limitations of stock coils by turning to rebuilding despite the extra effort it involves. Similarly, 1 or 2 programmed TC profiles are fine for most people, but surely you can appreciate why adding a DIY element to this is appealing for some people?

@billy_idle @danb - you're both right, I'm being deliberately obtuse and even a tad argumentative. ;)
In truth I love rebuilding and I love messing about with spreadsheets. I also try not to forget that I'm one of the very small minority of vapers who's prepared to spend time on this. The broader community needs to be represented and TC in particular is an area where many vapers are struggling to find relevance or benefit.
I think KISS will win the day in most situations and this isn't it. I do see a day when users will simply put on an atty, select a wire, set the desired temperature and start vaping. Today, we are where we are.

@billy_idle @danb - you're both right, I'm being deliberately obtuse and even a tad argumentative. ;)
In truth I love rebuilding and I love messing about with spreadsheets. I also try not to forget that I'm one of the very small minority of vapers who's prepared to spend time on this. The broader community needs to be represented and TC in particular is an area where many vapers are struggling to find relevance or benefit.
I think KISS will win the day in most situations and this isn't it. I do see a day when users will simply put on an atty, select a wire, set the desired temperature and start vaping. Today, we are where we are.

I got my first DNA200 yesterday @scrumpox and setting up isn't as bad as it may seem. After pestering TubbyEngineer all night and fiddling it's actually really easy to get the hang of. Maybe still aimed at the geeks but it is easy enough for the more average users to get to grips with.

I got my first DNA200 yesterday @scrumpox and setting up isn't as bad as it may seem. After pestering TubbyEngineer all night and fiddling it's actually really easy to get the hang of. Maybe still aimed at the geeks but it is easy enough for the more average users to get to grips with.
I am thinking of getting one next year if I can afford it. I just think they could make escribe alot better. Maybe they will add a way for customers to customise the layout of the program and redesign how it looks for themselves lol.

I am thinking of getting one next year if I can afford it. I just think they could make escribe alot better. Maybe they will add a way for customers to customise the layout of the program and redesign how it looks for themselves lol.

I don't know...I'm not techy at all. I don't really do computers or anything so for me the layout and the way it's all set up works fine. I know how to use it and how to customise the settings for the vape and that's all I want really.

I don't know...I'm not techy at all. I don't really do computers or anything so for me the layout and the way it's all set up works fine. I know how to use it and how to customise the settings for the vape and that's all I want really.
What I would like to see is better graphics so it isn't so bland looking. For instance, where you can see the processes in real-time with the lines going accross the screen, I think they should have the option of having a Nyan Cat:

I quite like the minimalistic look but then I suppose it could have screen like the new snowwolf is supposed to be having.

I found these pretty informative:
A PBusardo Review - The DNA 200 Episode II - Part 1 - The EScribe Software

I quite like the minimalistic look but then I suppose it could have screen like the new snowwolf is supposed to be having.
Me too, I'm just kidding about the Nyan cat lol. I think minimalist is nice as well sometimes. Adding skins or themes would make the software look less intimidating to alot of people though. If people could make their own changes it would be even better.
For instance, they could take some inspiration from this:
tron_ui_so_far_08-16-10.jpg

98199.jpg

flat-design-interface-520x245.jpg

There are so many possibilities they are not exploring, and I think it is because they are being lazy and 'cheap'.

Back
Top Bottom