What's new

TC Just not For me?

Yeah stock coils are horrible with TC. Gotta build your own for the best experience.

I picked up a nice DNA75 mod and a couple of RDA/RTAs from the classifieds on here to try out coil building. Only got kanthal at the minute but may go for titanium or SS next

Morning all,

I'm a relatively new ape, but have been vaping for years now (and even work in the industry, for my sins), however, one thing I've never been able to get my head around is TC. I understand it as a concept, and essentially how it works, what I don't get, though, is how it's satisfying.

I've got a couple DNA mods which I've often tried in temp control. Downloaded the correct profiles from Steam Engine, and got them onto my device of choice. I usually build with SS316L anyway, so have put together a spaced coil, got it running, locked the resistance when the coil's at room temperatures etc, and had a puff. Almost immediately the temperature limiting kicks in. the wattage to temp ratio isn't ludicrous either. I.e. on a 0.3Ω coil, I'd have the temperature at somewhere like 430F, and the Wattage at about 50w, so as to not immediately blast over the temperature.

Where am I going wrong, or is TC just not for me?
This sounds like the standard over wicking issue, You'll find you need less wick with TC - If you get a cool weak vape first thing to try is doing a few primer puffs to really get the wick saturated, if you then get a good vape that drops off after a few puffs then it will be the wicking.
TC relies on the resistance of the coil changing to know what temperature it's at, if the cotton is drier than required the coil will heat up much more quickly and the Temp protect message will kick in - indicating that the coil has reached temp, A well saturated wick will take heat from the coil by vapourising juice and as the wick start to dry out you'll get a cool weak vape Indicating it's time to Squonk or refill the tank.

Overwicking is a common problem for people new to TC, Try getting the wick so that it JUST pulls slightly at the coil as you thread it through...

I picked up a nice DNA75 mod and a couple of RDA/RTAs from the classifieds on here to try out coil building. Only got kanthal at the minute but may go for titanium or SS next

SS316 Is the easiest for most people to start with - and can be switched into wattage mode without issue if you feel like a change or want to stick the atty on a non TC Mod, I personally love Titanium but It can be a pig to work with...

This sounds like the standard over wicking issue, You'll find you need less wick with TC - If you get a cool weak vape first thing to try is doing a few primer puffs to really get the wick saturated, if you then get a good vape that drops off after a few puffs then it will be the wicking.
TC relies on the resistance of the coil changing to know what temperature it's at, if the cotton is drier than required the coil will heat up much more quickly and the Temp protect message will kick in - indicating that the coil has reached temp, A well saturated wick will take heat from the coil by vapourising juice and as the wick start to dry out you'll get a cool weak vape Indicating it's time to Squonk or refill the tank.

Overwicking is a common problem for people new to TC, Try getting the wick so that it JUST pulls slightly at the coil as you thread it through...

I almost exclusively use RDAs, and that’s essentially how I wick everything, so I can’t really see it being a wicking issue, I’ll have a look next time I feel motivated to make TC work for me.

Back
Top Bottom