What's new

TC and MTL

Dorset

Postman
Been vaping on a Pico in TC mode for the last few months. It seemed like a good idea to try a DNA powered device. The mod is a Hcigar VCT75 nano - about £50 from FT.

For me MTL is low power, higher Ohms, less juice and a bit like the real thing ....

For the DNA75 - "The board works on the basis of operating within the confines of its limits. It will operate at the maximum current, voltage, or wattage output, whatever comes first."

The problem with DNA75 mods is the voltage limit. Evolv recommend a maximum cold resistance of 0.5Ohm for a stable vape.
I've tried 1.00R - unstable temperature - hits the voltage limit during pre-heat. Tried 0.8R - a lot better. Will try 0.7 or lower later.

Look at Steam Engine - the Mod Range tab. Look at the APV list - it gives the 'sweet spot' resistance for each chipset.

So what I'm saying is - the DNA75 is not the best board for MTL - is there a DNA60 mod out there at a sensible price? Or should I just stick with the Pico.
Problem is I like the DNA based mods - lots to fiddle with.

I have mtl success with TC on a dna75 using this configuration...

Single Coil spaced Nife48 awg 28, 7 wrap 3mm id come in at around .42 ohms

425 f temp and 18w

Although imho it's slighly better on a yihi chip.

cheers

Gaz

Been vaping on a Pico in TC mode for the last few months. It seemed like a good idea to try a DNA powered device. The mod is a Hcigar VCT75 nano - about £50 from FT.

For me MTL is low power, higher Ohms, less juice and a bit like the real thing ....

For the DNA75 - "The board works on the basis of operating within the confines of its limits. It will operate at the maximum current, voltage, or wattage output, whatever comes first."

The problem with DNA75 mods is the voltage limit. Evolv recommend a maximum cold resistance of 0.5Ohm for a stable vape.
I've tried 1.00R - unstable temperature - hits the voltage limit during pre-heat. Tried 0.8R - a lot better. Will try 0.7 or lower later.

Look at Steam Engine - the Mod Range tab. Look at the APV list - it gives the 'sweet spot' resistance for each chipset.

So what I'm saying is - the DNA75 is not the best board for MTL - is there a DNA60 mod out there at a sensible price? Or should I just stick with the Pico.
@danb @Tubbyengineer

Gaz,

Did you limit the pre-heat and power - or was it escribe that gave you the 18W?
I've been using SS316L wire - because it can be easily burnt to clean it and used in TC and VW mode.

No I limited it to 18 watts m8 via the mod or escribe.

cheers

Gaz

If I understand your post correctly, the trouble is arising because you are approaching TC vaping with a wattage vaping mentality that equates MTL with high resistance builds.
TC wires are often of much lower resistance than those used for wattage vaping, and that's ok. TC is ideally suited to MTL vaping but you have to allow the mod to do the work of controlling the vape, rather than the high resistance coil/low wattage route of power mode.
Anything above 0.13 ohms for NiFe30, or 0.25 for SS316L is fine, for example.

The DNA75 is Evolvs budget board, and designed to work with what a lot of vapers use, which are sub ohm tanks, and also with lower resistance (Under 0.5) builds for TC.

As you have realised, the voltage limit is an issue with vaping at a higher resistance on the DNA75, and with a TC wire at a higher resistance this can be hit very quickly.

However, you can still get a great MTL vape- you will just need to use a suitable TC wire for your needs that comes out at a lower resistance. As @Mr Numpty mentioned, you will need to approach it differently to achieve this, but I am sure you will find something that makes you happy for MTL TC using the DNA75 :)

As has been said the DNA 75 board is just fine for TC MTL. I've been using a couple for ages using Stealthvape Nife 30, 28 awg, 3 mm ID, about 8 wraps coming out at around 0.25 ohms.

No preheat, temp set to between 400 and 415 F at 15 watts. Works perfectly.

gazlynn's settings also do as he said.

I don't think you need any preheat for MTL and don't want the watts too high.

As has been said the DNA 75 board is just fine for TC MTL. I've been using a couple for ages using Stealthvape Nife 30, 28 awg, 3 mm ID, about 8 wraps coming out at around 0.25 ohms.

No preheat, temp set to between 400 and 415 F at 15 watts. Works perfectly.

gazlynn's settings also do as he said.

I don't think you need any preheat for MTL and don't want the watts too high.
That is very true, I was just pointing out if you wish to push a fair amount of power through a higher resistance coil, the DNA75 isn't really for that.

However, the OP does mention higher Ohms, low wattage is more his thing, if this is the case then the DNA75 is still perfect for that. It can push up to around 38W to a 1 Ohm coil! (As this rises in resistance it will not be able too, but for low power TC it should still work well).

I class myself as a fairly low power vaper most of the time, and even for DTL hits, with a single coil 25W is more than enough, so I would think something is achievable with the DNA75 to make them happy.

@Dorset , by any chance have you still got a high preheat wattage set in Escribe? As this would hit the voltage limit quickly, for a higher resistance, low powered setup you will want to reduce the preheat to something suitable for you. Say you vape at 15W, 25W will be plenty to hit your desired temperature very quickly, with an immediate ramp up I would say.

Thanks guys - will reduce the pre-heat to a sensible limit. The main power limit seems to be a ceiling level - in practice the power/voltage level after pre-heat is only 6/8 watts to maintain the temperature i.e. the whole board is temperature driven. In pre-heat it applies power upto your soft limit - a percentage of the target temperature. It's only at the start of pre-heat that it hits the 6.2V level.

Will play with it over the weekend. Must get a longer USB cable ..

Back
Top Bottom