POTV - Your vaping community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Why not sign up today!

Register

TC accuracy and wire selection

Discussion in 'Temperature Controlled Vaping' started by danb, Oct 11, 2015.

1. danb

danb Achiever

I think Resistherm is good, only problem is it's only available at 0.28 mm. Which is a bit thin. It's also expensive. I have a spool of it but never use it since I got Stealthvape NiFe30.

2. Vampire Vape
  3. steves

steves Postman

Indeed. It is expensive and being limted to ~29g is a pain really. The high TCR is good but resistivity is much lower than SV.

4. norwegianvaper

norwegianvaper Postman

I have read that in NI200 0.15 ohm is best. In TI 0.32 is great and in SS 316L 0.5 ohm is what to aim for. Am I completely misinformed?

5. Vapable
  6. danb

danb Achiever

No, not completely misinformed - 0.5 ohm with SS is roughly equivalent to 0.15 Ohm with Ti, so you can certainly go lower than 0.32 with Ti. At the time I wrote the original post, there were not many people using SS for TC and I suggested 0.5 Ohm as a lower limit for a stable TC vape (see table 2) - this was an educated guess, not based on actual data, but it seems to be about right. For example I think @Mr Numpty recommends around 0.4 Ohm as a minimum for SS based on actual vaping experience (I'm sure he will correct me if I'm wrong).

For Ni200, in terms of accuracy anything at or above 0.10 is OK, but when building this low static resistance can be a significant problem. I don't think many people here build with Ni200 these days though, most people seem to be using NiFe wires or SS as far as I can tell.

• Like Like x 1
  7. norwegianvaper

norwegianvaper Postman

Thank you for a great reply.Very good info to have. I almost never use NI200 anymore, but when I do, if they are above 0.22/0.23< they tend to fall out of TC mode and in to VW mode. But chances are that it is a user error:25:

8. skaramanga

skaramanga Postman

An interesting read. Thanks for posting this.

• Like Like x 1
  9. vapeonthebeach

vapeonthebeach Member

Hi Everyone,
    New member here who has been enjoying and following this conversation.
    A big thank you to Dan (@danb) and the all the guys here who take the time and share their knowledge/findings with the rest of us.
    I too am a fan of TC vaping and have been enjoying this technology for almost a year now.
    But this forum helped me improve my TC experience significantly.
    Enjoy your day and keep vaping!
    Vas

• Like Like x 2
  10. Syderfex

Syderfex Postman

This has definitely made me rethink trying TC again.

11. danb

danb Achiever

• LOL LOL x 1
  12. unknownvapes

unknownvapes Member

As a relatively new person to building, this information is very helpful! I do have a few questions though. Let me start out with what I want to accomplish. Buckle up I think a lot about a lot haha so i recently got a tfv12, great experience imo, the coils are just too expensive to justify 3 days of use so I ordered the tfv12-rba-t (three coil). I haven't been into rebuilding since kangertech and vaporfi came together to make the vaporfi volt and all I've ever used was 26ga kanthal a1. The prebuilt coils the tfv12 come with are .12 and .15ohms. I've been using the .12 at around 230w and I absolutely love it. The amount of vapor and flavor are perfect so my ideal setup would to be use wire that will be able to do this with the ability to "raise the wattage" so to speak in terms of tc. The sound of being able to get better flavor and adjust the warmth of my vape according to my mood and still have the same amount of vapor/flavor sounds very appealing to me. I think I've just flooded my brain with information and confused myself. What type and gauges would you recommend? I've been expiramenting with building Clapton coils just for fun so something versatile i can make a Clapton if I'm in the mood.
    Thank you for taking the time to read my novel lol it is greatly appreciated! Vape on brothers!