What's new

Struggling to get a good tc vape from topside carbon

KoKane

Postman
I'm using an rda with dual SS316L aliens, ohming out at 0.1

I've tried adjusting the tcr from 0.00088 - 0.00092, the joules between 75 - to the max 120, and temp between 420f - 460f.

I can't get a warm vape or decent amount of vapour from it to save my life. I'm a complete noob to tc, so any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Are you getting a reasonable vape from it in VW mode? If you are make a note of the wattage they run best at. Let your setup cool down for 5-10 mins. Check your resistance when cold. If possible lock the "cold" resistance into you mode, in TC mode set your wattage around 10-20 watts higher than your VW setting. Your TC settings of anywhere between 0.00088 & 92 is fine. Now starting low, slowly increase your temp until your getting a good hit, keeping everything nice and moist of coarse. You should be good to go.

As squidgy says.. :thumbup:

Getting accurate and consistent TC with a pair of SS claptons at 0.1ohms isn't going to be easy though. It's difficult enough just with a single round wire coil. :D .... . It's depends what you are trying to do though, if you just want dry hit prevention you should be able to dial that in fine.

I did lock the resistance in when the coils were cold, and I also made sure they were spaced. You can't set wattage for tc with the topside carbon, it's joules mode, but I've read that 1 joule is pretty much the equivalent of 1 watt. I'm getting a nice full warm vape at 105w with this build, but even with the joules at the max 120, I feel like I'm inhaling fresh air.

Edit: it seems to be working well at 445f with 120 Joules now. Strange..

Last edited:
I did lock the resistance in when the coils were cold, and I also made sure they were spaced. You can't set wattage for tc with the topside carbon, it's joules mode, but I've read that 1 joule is pretty much the equivalent of 1 watt. I'm getting a nice full warm vape at 105w with this build, but even with the joules at the max 120, I feel like I'm inhaling fresh air.

Edit: I seem it seems to be working well at 445f with 120 Joules now. Strange..
1watt = 1 joule per second
So setting TC to 115-120J should be fine, are you sure your Aliens are SS316L including the wrap/outer? The ones I'm using at the moment are SS cores with a Kanthal wrap, but I get the oposite TC problem where the mod wont back off because the TCR value is actually lower, so I stick to VW with them.

As Simon G says trying TC with a 0.1ohm built could be the problem, ideally you should be at 0.3 or higher. SS has a relitivly low TCR, so the Mod could be stuggling to register any rise in resistance at 0.1ohms.

Just to add, your right to space your coils with TC, non-spaced adds further issues to the TCR value.

1watt = 1 joule per second
So setting TC to 115-120J should be fine, are you sure your Aliens are SS316L including the wrap/outer? The ones I'm using at the moment are SS cores with a Kanthal wrap, but I get the oposite TC problem where the mod wont back off because the TCR value is actually lower, so I stick to VW with them.

As Simon G says trying TC with a 0.1ohm built could be the problem, ideally you should be at 0.3 or higher. SS has a relitivly low TCR, so the Mod could be stuggling to register any rise in resistance at 0.1ohms.

Just to add, your right to space your coils with TC, non-spaced adds further issues to the TCR value.
They're definitely SS316L. I had them custom made, and I tested them on my Odin dna75c to see if replay mode asks me if I want to save the puff, just to double check.

I did actually specify 0.2 ohms dual, but they came with 9 wraps which made them way too long, so I had to pull 4 wraps out.

I think you're right. I'm not going to get a consistent vape in tc with these. The performance is up and down all over the place. Power mode it is! Thanks for your advice.

I want to say that you have an amazing knowledge of physics. But have you ever thought about buying a new device? I also tried to improve my accessory once, but I realized that this one would take too much time. It's easier just to buy a new one.
By the way, how did you understand how much power your vape works?

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to say that you have an amazing knowledge of physics. But have you ever thought about buying a new device? I also tried to improve my accessory once, but I realized that this one would take too much time. It's easier just to buy a new one.
By the way, how did you understand how much power your vape works?
Those products are not legal in the UK so no links or discussion about products of that nature @tomaseveryday

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom