POTV - Your vaping community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Why not sign up today!

Register

Starting the TC journey.....

Discussion in 'Temperature Controlled Vaping' started by Rudi, May 10, 2018.

1. Rudi

Rudi Postman

So finally I got my NiFe30 wire and starting the journey. So far a little disappointed but something normal for the first 2 hours IMO.
    I am using the Boxer mod with a Dead Rabbit 24mm. After 2 failed attempts I managed to make 2 coils , 5 wraps , 3mm ID from 28g wire and I have 0.126ohm. I loaded Stealthvape profile and changed the temp to 247 C and 100W. I am getting a nice warm vape but flavour is low and also I have a strange taste compared with the taste from brochrome. Not sure if this is just because a different wire or is something wrong with my settings. Should I go higher/lower on temp/watts? Should I build at higher ohms?
    The best build for me by now is Brochrome dual coil ,3mmID , at 0.31ohms and 47W.
    20180510_181552.jpg

2. Mr Numpty

Mr Numpty Veteran

100 watts is way too high. Try 50 watts initially. It is best to aim for a minimum of 0.14 ohms with NiFe30 but you're not too far off. Still worth adding a wrap though. Although it's best not to dry fire NiFe30 (imo), a quick fire in TC mode at 315C will burn off any oil or skin cells on the wire and help with any funky taste they might have.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Rickster

Rickster Achiever

Don't go expecting too much from TC....sure, once you dial in your settings and get a vape you like, your good.....but its not a huge revelation that will take you to vaping nirvana... an endless quest we do seek...its different.
    If you are used to 100 watts in power mode on a dripper....you may be disappointed
    I mess about with it from time to time, but in all honesty Im no sure, call me old fashioned power mode man:)

#3 Rickster, May 10, 2018
    Last edited: May 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Rudi

Rudi Postman

I've started at 50W but I changed to 100 to see if any difference and also wanted to check at that temp how high and low will jump the wattage so I can get an idea of what should be the max wattage to use. Also I read a lot of post where people are keep saying they never change the wattage and even live the wattage at maximum and the TC will do the rest.....not sure if I misunderstood something or maybe the mod they have is not that powerful....still digging to find again that posts and double read just to make sure I am not missing something.....
    Maybe the fact that I dry burned the coils 3-4 times before wicking and then again 3-5 times after( like I do with the brochrome in power mode) affected the wire and that's why I have that "extra" taste?
    I will try tommorow to make new coils and no dry burn to see if any difference........it's a pain for me to work with this wire. I used brochrome for the last 2 months and most important I started to learn to build coils with this wire.....
    From what I learned by now I know that some taste/flavour difference is normal between wires no matter if they are TC or VW but I am disappointed by the lack of flavour on TC and the extra "flavour"......not giving up......yet......some hope still present....

5. Mr Numpty

Mr Numpty Veteran

Yeah don't dry burn NiFe30, that's not safe.