What's new

Stainless Steel? OK or not worth it?

The Clapton has landed! I absolutely love it. Beautifully made, clean and just the perfect 316 SS for TC. Six wrap 3mm dual coil set up giving 0.42 ohms. Ramps up quick as you like at 50 watts in TC, outstanding flavour and vapour. This is definitely going to be my go-to SS wire. Nice find, thank you!

Likewise! @Mr Numpty Put a 5 wrap, 3.0mm, dual @ 0.39ohms into a Boreas and it's pretty damned good. As you say, ramp up is instant! I've settled on 40W, TC. Loving it, I'm not over fond of a hot vape and this is going great @190, not even reaching cut off temp with long draws. Simply lush!

Nice. What's 190 in real money?

temp setting at 190C or, which would be 374F, in OLD money :D :D :D

I think most TC devices go up in twenties for Fahrenheit, so 370 would be the closest.

Last edited:
I tried out this SS316 28/32g Clapton wire, very kindly donated by @allen

I have to say, I'm rather impressed. I did 6 wraps at 2.5 mm ID in my kayfun V5 clone (so single coil), coming to 0.70 Ohm.

It's a nice smooth vape, better vapour than my usual single wire builds, and I'd say a bit better than my NiFe48 28g twisted builds. I think the flavour is a bit crisper and brighter too.

TC feels nice, smooth and accurate - and Escribe agrees, here's how it fared against my NiFe48 build. Very little difference in temp control with the DNA75 despite the NiFe48 build being 50% more accurate.

nifess.png

It also performed perfectly well on the VTC mini with custom TCR set to 0088 (TC did not work properly with the built-in SS316 mode on the VTC mini).
In time I will try to do similar comparisons with lower resistance (dual coil) builds and see at what point it becomes unstable.

I tried out this SS316 28/32g Clapton wire, very kindly donated by @allen

I have to say, I'm rather impressed. I did 6 wraps at 2.5 mm ID in my kayfun V5 clone (so single coil), coming to 0.70 Ohm.

It's a nice smooth vape, better vapour than my usual single wire builds, and I'd say a bit better than my NiFe48 28g twisted builds. I think the flavour is a bit crisper and brighter too.

TC feels nice, smooth and accurate - and Escribe agrees, here's how it fared against my NiFe48 build. Very little difference in temp control with the DNA75 despite the NiFe48 build being 50% more accurate.

View attachment 97032

It also performed perfectly well on the VTC mini with custom TCR set to 0088 (TC did not work properly with the built-in SS316 mode on the VTC mini).
In time I will try to do similar comparisons with lower resistance (dual coil) builds and see at what point it becomes unstable.
I don't do the science bit, so it's good to see this kind of feedback from someone who does.
I'm pleased it works for you buddy. Enjoy it [emoji106]

Well if you're going to be doing temp control, SS is where it's at as far as I'm concerned. I'm not a Nickel guy, too much shit out on the properties of that metal that I just don't want to put it into my lungs. Just my vaping thing on Nickel. Personally, I don't vape temp control much at all, it's just not my thing. Don't like the temp controlled vape nearly as just regulating the vape myself into my lungs.I know how hard to pull and how long to pull for my perfect vape. Don't need a millions calculation being made a second by some chip giving me the vape it thinks I need. I can do that part very well on my own. If I do temp control (more because I can than anything else), I'll buy SS coils for my tanks (cause that's what I am, a tank guy). I temp control maybe 5% of the time (if that much). Mostly casue all my mods will do temp control but I have Kanthal coils in most of them. The Crown tank has SS coils so I can go either way on that one. The Crown Tank is still my favorite all day vaping tank with .5 ohm coils at 55 watts. My taste buds love it the best. Still hit it most of the time not in temp control.

Good question. SS has poor numbers as they relate to its ability to be temp controlled and shouldn't be considered as a very suitable TC wire. However, it does have its advantages in that it is easy to work with and relatively thick gauges can be used, so it is convenient to work with. I use it quite a bit for those reasons and because you can easily achieve a high enough resistance to improve its stability in TC, especially with single coils. Another advantage is that it offers one of, if not the cleanest flavours in TC vaping.
The main downside I have found is that it is a little erratic in TC. The temp seems to run away a bit on sustained draws. Resistances around the 0.35 ohm mark work pretty well with SS 316L.
If you're looking for a much easier to work with wire for TC, and one which provides hugely more stable TC than nickel, I'd highly recommend Stealthvape NiFe30. 29 gauge for dual coils and 28 for singles works well. It makes for very stable TC and nice clean taste.
What kind of chip do I need for running NiFe30 in TC? The DNA`s have only NI200, SS and Ti modes as far as I know

What kind of chip do I need for running NiFe30 in TC? The DNA`s have only NI200, SS and Ti modes as far as I know
Hi there. You can run NiFe30 in NI200 mode, you just have to offset the temp a bit. It will work fine if you just start low and work up to your desired temp. What DNA device do you have? To answer your question more specifically though, you ideally want a mod that accepts TCR inputs.

As above, you can run Stealthvape NiFe30 in Ni mode, but you're best off with a mod that supports custom TCR settings. The DNA200 and DNA75 chips have this feature and can be programmed via the escribe software.

Most mods released since spring this year also have custom TCR features - recent Joyetech, Smok and Eleaf mods for example.

Back
Top Bottom