What's new

Stainless steel coils, wicking and Tc

vapemac

Veteran
Needing some help folks.

So I've built a 0.8 stainless steel coil for my kayfun mini v5 in normal wattage mode i was getting a slight burning taste so i tried using it in tc but i'm still getting a burning taste. I've changed the cotton. What could be causing it? I'm thinking wicking because the coils are glowing nice and even.

...... try taking a couple of wraps off, get it down to about 0.5-0.6 then space it out a little to fill the deck then wick it fairly tight through the centre of the coil but fluff out the ends so there's quite a bit less cotton in the 'tails' that you poke into the deck. That's basically how I build everything for TC, so I don't have much else to offer.... but you shouldn't really be burning anything if the TC is working correctly.

...... try taking a couple of wraps off, get it down to about 0.5-0.6 then space it out a little to fill the deck then wick it fairly tight through the centre of the coil but fluff out the ends so there's quite a bit less cotton in the 'tails' that you poke into the deck. That's basically how I build everything for TC, so I don't have much else to offer.... but you shouldn't really be burning anything if the TC is working correctly.

Cheers! I'll go try it just now

What guage wire are you using. I normally aim for about .8 with 28/29 g ss with 6 /7 wraps. Break the coil in at 12 watts then work me way up to about 16watts which is the sweet spot for me. Also what mod are you using for tc.

So knocked two wraps off, spaced it out and got it down to 0.67. Tightly rolled the cotton and fluffed out the ends. No burning, but it's wispy and gurgly.

What guage wire are you using. I normally aim for about .8 with 28/29 g ss with 6 /7 wraps. Break the coil in at 12 watts then work me way up to about 16watts which is the sweet spot for me. Also what mod are you using for tc.

Smoant knight. Using 28 gauge.

If it's gurgly, sounds like you may of flooded deck. Don't overfill k5, and I turn upside down when opening jfc.

So knocked two wraps off, spaced it out and got it down to 0.67. Tightly rolled the cotton and fluffed out the ends. No burning, but it's wispy and gurgly.

what ID is the coil? .... I should have asked that. .. if it's a small coil then you won't need to thin the ends so much if at all with the KF5 deck... I tend to use a 3 or 3.5mm ID with 26awg, so there's quite a lot of cotton in the coil.

what ID is the coil? .... I should have asked that. .. if it's a small coil then you won't need to thin the ends so much if at all with the KF5 deck... I tend to use a 3 or 3.5mm ID with 26awg, so there's quite a lot of cotton in the coil.

Honestly, i don't know. I normally use a jig but i couldn't be fucked getting it out my bag so i used a screwdriver. :D

Laziness is my downfall. I'll dig out the 26awg and the jig.

For a KF5 look at an ID of 2.5mm, resistance of 0.5 for power or 0.3 to 0.4 for TC, wicking should be just enough to start feeling the cotton pull at the coil as it goes through but not so much that it actually starts to pul it out of shape and the tails should just touch the bottoms of the juice wells and not block the flow holes. That should get you a good solid vape without flooding or dryness.

Back
Top Bottom