What's new

SS316L keeps disappointing me

Dennis-vc

Postman
Hey people! Yesterday I started experimenting with TC on my Dani box. I've had the mod for a month now and I was running it in wattage mode all that time, but now I have the feeling that I completely understand the mod and decided to give TC another go.

I started with some NiFe30 wire on my 2019 Kayfun Lite. Coil in place, made sure that the mod was at room temperature and calibrated it. However, after 3 pulls I reached the 240°C limit way too quickly and didn't get a satisfying vape. The liquid that I was using tasted completely different so I decided to get my 27awg kanthal back out and that was the end of it. After some careful problem analysis, it probably turned out to be a weak connection between the posts and the coil as the wire is too thin to properly trap under the screws.

After this rather disappointing start, I decided to dedicate my Dvarw to further TC experiments. I wanted to go for a slightly thicker wire so 26awg SS316L looked like a good option. I did the same calibration steps and again, no good results. Flavour was good on the first pulls but it kept reaching the 240°C cutoff too quickly.

Today I twanted to give Ni200 a try and GOD what a joy! I'm finally getting the flavour I was looking for and the atty performs as it's never done before!

I definitely need to do further experimenting with the NiFe30 wire, but I like SS316L just a bit more in regards to flavour and the Ni200 is just a bit too low in resistance for me. I'm used to wicking these two attys so I don't expect problems on that front. The only thing I can imagine is that something in the TCR settings is wrong or the quality of the SS316L is off. Has anyone experienced the same problems with this wire type? Or am I missing something?

I assume you're spacing the coils as you say Ni200 is working. How are you setting up NiFe30? Selecting from the menu or manually setting the TCR? Aslo where is the NiFe from, stealthvape or Dicodes?

I only use Dicode's own nife30 wire and, as with all wire types in TC, contact resistances (post screws and 510 connector) must be kept as low as possible and stable for TC to function accurately. With thin wire it can indeed be difficult to get good post contact on some rta's.
The Dicodes recommended resistance of the coil also needs to be adhered to in my experience.
Nife30 between 0.5 and 1.5 ohms
Nickel between 0.1 and 0.2 ohm
Stainless steel between 1.0 and 2.0 ohms.

Last edited:
The NiFe30 wire is from Dicodes and I'm working with spaced coils only. I just take the settings from my Dicodes box, assuming that they know best since it's their own product. I think that the coil came out to 0.45 ohms.

With SS it seems that I'm not building within the range. 7 wraps of 26awg with 2,5mm id gives me around 0.5 ohms, this could explain the problem with TC in my case. I'll need some 30awg to reach the 1 ohm mark and then I might run into the problem of the leads not trapping under the screws properly...

Back
Top Bottom