What's new

SS coil trouble, bad taste and possibly ruined deck.

sebsky777

Initiate
Hi Everyone,
I would like to pick some brains of some one who knows their onions.
I am wondering if anyone using SS coils had similar issue and if there is solution to it.
I'm gonna explain what I have done and if someone has solution.
I am using Smok Alien 220 and Kanger Protank 4 with so called Pro RBA.
So ... using Kanger coils and cotton supplied it worked pretty good, decent Vape not bad flavour.
But me being a me decided to go for SS coils as I read they produce better flavour...apparently.
So it all went pear shaped , I think i buggered the deck too.
So I did dry burnd my SS coils until glowing beautyfull orange.. I know , well now I know , dont do it.
And I used it in W mode at 40 W , metallic taste like appeared almost instantly, removed cotton try to dry burn coil and I set it on fire ... yep small flame sparlkes stink of burning steel fire alarms off at midnight.
So I tried again with Kanger coils in the same tank , and same bitternes is coming through after a while.
Is whole tank ruined ? Is all RDA deck ruined? Is this bad taste permanent now ? Is there a chance to save the tank?
I have ordered some Kenthal wire by the way
I would appreciate anyones help re saving the tank
Cheers and regards Seb

You haven't actually done anything wrong. It's OK to dry burn SS, and juice residue catching fire is common.

Wash the tank out if you haven't done so already.

How
You haven't actually done anything wrong. It's OK to dry burn SS, and juice residue catching fire is common.

Wash the tank out if you haven't done so already.[/QUOT

Wash the tank out if you haven't done so already.
Hi MENT,
How about funny taste bit bitter or like metally I should mention that coils I made are only micro coils made of SS clapton from Crazy Wire Company and they show very low resistance 0.1 i think.
Wrong wire you I suppose
Thank You for Reply
Regards Seb

Hi Everyone,
I am wondering if anyone using SS coils had similar issue and if there is solution to it.
So ... using Kanger coils and cotton supplied it worked pretty good, decent Vape not bad flavour.
But me being a me decided to go for SS coils as I read they produce better flavour...apparently.
So I did dry burnd my SS coils until glowing beautyfull orange.. I know , well now I know , dont do it.
And I used it in W mode at 40 W , metallic taste like appeared almost instantly, removed cotton try to dry burn coil and I set it on fire ... yep small flame sparlkes stink of burning steel fire alarms off at midnight.
So I tried again with Kanger coils in the same tank , and same bitternes is coming through after a while.
Is whole tank ruined ? Is all RDA deck ruined? Is this bad taste permanent now ? Is there a chance to save the tank?
Cheers and regards Seb
Yeah no worries at all what's happened is normal...I find ss takes a while to bed in to the flavour give everything a good wash and rinse and it should be fine! Just be glad you didn't do what I did with 20g stainless and not notice the leg had a hot spot...I built it back up put the cap on and woosh flame in my face hole and a burnt deck on my 2 day old petri

Don't panic! Been there, done that!
You might have a hotspot on the coil or on the leg.
When you dry burn it, turn your wattage right down, you don't need to dry burn it even as high as 20w (I generally dry burn/pulse around 10w).
Definitely give that tank a good rinse if you're still getting funny flavour from it. There shouldn't be any funny flavour after it's had a wash. there is very little on the deck that would become damaged from a small flame thrower incident!
Then I'd probably recommend building it again. You should have an idea of what resistance the coil should be before you install it (use www.steam-engine.org to calculate it) and if the resistance is not close when you've done building it, do not hit fire.
If you want to use temperature contrrol, space the coils a little (so when you've made the coil, just stretch it out a little bit so there is space between each wrap) and go a bit easy on the cotton.

Alright Great

Massive thanx Vapellie ,nikewatch and Ment.
Will do more reading and give it a go soon.
HAPPY NEW YEAR by the way

Alright Great

Massive thanx Vapellie ,nikewatch and Ment.
Will do more reading and give it a go soon.
HAPPY NEW YEAR by the way
And to you too bud...need any help don't be frightened about messaging anyone here

Hi Everyone,
Cheers and regards Seb

Hey and welcome to POTV :).

They're actually not a bad little RBA with the right builds :). Just don't go too mad with the builds you're putting in them so your wicking can keep up and you're not seriously choking off airflow ;). Are you just using the supplied Muji cotton by cutting off a strip and using it as is??? Or, are you removing the outer membranes and using the lovely fluffy stuff inside?? REMEMBER, when handling cotton give your hands a good wash beforehand. If you have nasty greasy hands and you're handling or rolling highly absorbent cottons, YYEEUUCCHH from your hands can transfer to the cotton and you can get some SERIOUSLY funky tastes mate lol ;). It can be NASTY!!!! Ensure your hands are thoroughly cleaned before handling cottons and you can cross that off the list as a cause of nasty tastes :).

There's nothing to burn or destroy on the Pro RBA decks to answer that question :). RE:. Cleaning!! Use a strong alcohol such as Vodka or Isopropyl, or very hot water with a good shot of alcohol, hot tap water will be fine. Give the RBA deck and the entire tank a good soak and leave it to soak for 20-30 minutes, (longer if it's hot water and alcohol, shorter will do if neat alcohol, but give all parts a good sloshing around ;)).. That will break down and clean away any nasties from the manufacturing process or anything that's been cooked on in the meantime and eliminate that as a source of nasty tastes :). :).

It's possible your flaming SS wire has some grease or machine oil on it. Does the wire actually smell of oil, etc on the spool?? It's possible when you had your flaming wire incident, hot spitting oil got onto parts of the deck. When you rebuilt afterwards and the deck has got warm from use, remaining contaminants got onto your cotton/coil giving the funky flavour. Again, going through the steps above will help sort that out.

If the SS wire is oily/greasy (or even if it isn't), try the following If you have a torch style lighter, cut off your length of wire you'll be working with and slowly torch the whole length of the wire, if you see smoke you'll know something nasty is cooking off, (a normal lighter will do the job too). Heat the entire wire to a cherry red. And/or, get some strong alcohol on a small piece of kitchen roll and wipe the wire clean. Check tissue for dirt, gunk and you'll know. One or both will help. You can still glow your coils once installed, but cleaning the wire beforehand gets rid of nasties that might not burn off once installed ;).

A strong metallic taste could indicate you may have been a little light with your wicking bud ;). If you're specifically using the SS in VW mode, you want to feel some slight resistance as you pull your wick through the coil, but not so much so it takes force. If you're building to use TC mode, you want slightly less cotton and you barely want to feel resistance as you pull cotton through coil. It is a bit of an art that takes practice. Have a few goes at it, things will start to click and you'll get better at it :).

Final note. Personally I much prefer SS or Ni80 over Kanthal. Cleaner sharper flavour profile and liquids just seem to taste better, even more so with SS, but that's just me personally and it's completely subjective :).

Any questions, SHOUT :D.

Arctic Wolf thanx a lot .
I really appreciate advice, I think U pretty much exhausted the subject , no more questions... for now ;)
Massive cheeeeeeers !

Back
Top Bottom