Innokin
What's new

SS Coil Dry Burning?

richydraper

Postman
I've been trying to get this right on my own and had very limited successful results.

I'm running a TFV8Baby RBA (dual coils) on Crazy Wires 26/32 Clapton. I burn in till the coils turn that wonderful blue in the center and 'stroke' to remove hotspots on the 32 wrap wire. First usage after build is spot on. After time the coils get gunked up (obviously) flavour and vapour fall off a cliff. Now I've heard that before filling with new cotton to dry burn the coils on low power so that they just start to glow a dark cherry red. I've heard others suggesting to burn in at a mid orange.

At dark cherry red it's hit and miss if the coils are any good for reuse. At mid orange they're scrap lol probably more suited for Kanthal than SS.

I've heard to burn them to cherry red and quench them in a little pot of water. It's supposed to knock off any scaling on the coils. Again I've had hit and miss results with this method.

Are SS coils 'dry burnable' or are they generally 'single use'?

E-liquids.com
Ignoring all the arguments about whether dry burning is recommended at all....

.... just do it with as little power as possible and only heat them just enough to burn the crap enough to be able to brush/wash it off, you shouldn't need to glow them at all, without airflow going over them and liquid to cool them down it won't take much much heat to burn the crud enough to get it off.

Ha, yeah there ALSO that* train of thought if they should be dry burnt at all...

I'll try not glowing them at all, thanks Simon.

AcmeFog
Back
Top Bottom