What's new

No flavour from NiFe48 (compared to 316L)

paters

Initiate
I got some Crazy Wire 0.3mm NiFe48 yesterday. So far I've tried 3 different builds on my Wotofo Serpent RDTA without much success.

The first build was 7 wraps / 0.7ohm, then a 5 wrap / 0.5ohm and then 5 wrap twisted / 0.3ohm. The third twisted wire build is much better than the single wire coils, but even though temperature adjustment seems fine and I'm getting nice warm clouds of vapour the flavour just isn't coming through.

I had hoped the NiFe48 would be an improvement over the 0.4mm 316L I've been using, but the flavour I've got with stainless steel is miles ahead.

So, has anyone else noticed this - does stainless steel* give you a nicer vape or am I doing something wrong?

*I remember when temp control devices with SS coils first came out and people were raving about the flavour, but I just put that down to it being the new thing / bs because I couldn't see how the wire alone could make that much of a difference.

The first build was 7 wraps / 0.7ohm, then a 5 wrap / 0.5ohm and then 5 wrap twisted / 0.3ohm.
Those resistances seem very high for those builds. What internal diameter are they? I make it they would have to be over 4mm.

3.5mm diameter, the wire resistance is 7.49ohm per meter per Crazy Wire and around 7.6ohm when I checked with my multimeter. Seemed close enough when I checked on Steam Engine.

I was inputting it as Nifethal 52 which is what the NiFe48 I have is, but the Crazy wire stuff may be different. For what it's worth, I've said before that I get muted flavour from it compared to NiFe30.

Yeah the Crazy Wire Co label their nickel and iron the other way round to everyone else, but there must be something else to it as the resistance and TCR they give is also different. That's why I checked the resistance with own multimeter. I also messed around with the TCR settings and the device monitor on ArcticFox but the TCR 3100 they gave looks to be pretty accurate.

Yeah the Crazy Wire Co label their nickel and iron the other way round to everyone else, but there must be something else to it as the resistance and TCR they give is also different. That's why I checked the resistance with own multimeter. I also messed around with the TCR settings and the device monitor on ArcticFox but the TCR 3100 they gave looks to be pretty accurate.
@danb made a great post about the TCRs of the various Crazy Wire Co TC wires. I'll see if I can dig it up if he doesn't beat me to it.

Thanks @Mr Numpty. I messed around with the settings some more but after a while I realised it wasn't just my vape that didn't taste right. My tongue started feeling sore and everything I drank had a metallic taste.

So I think I may have had a bad reaction to the NiFe!

Of course it could have just been down to the fact that I was vaping more than usual, messing around with the settings trying to get it dialled in...

Anyway, I've switched back to 316L and the flavour has gradually come back even if my tongue still feels a bit weird.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom