What's new

Need some TC pointers please.

Thom2022

Postman
So let's give a brief rundown.
I'm using a KF5 clone, RX200s, SS316L 26/32 Clapton wire and native cotton. Coil is coming in at 0.6ohm and is working well in TC mode. The issue is the vape. It's dry and flavourless but not burned tasting and producing a decent amount of vapour. I believe it's a wicking issue and I've always struggled with TC build wicking.
Can anyone help me get a tasty vape please. Pictures and videos to illustrate would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Thom

I don't vape tc to much these day's, but when I do I find it's best to keep it simple, as in single wire, spaced coils. Clapton's are notorious for suffering from hot spots, which will throw your mods reading off when in tc mode.

I'm using a KF5 clone, RX200s, SS316L 26/32 Clapton wire and native cotton. Coil is coming in at 0.6ohm and is working well in TC mode. The issue is the vape. It's dry and flavourless but not burned tasting and producing a decent amount of vapour. I believe it's a wicking issue and I've always struggled with TC build wicking.
Can anyone help me get a tasty vape please. Pictures and videos to illustrate would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Thom
OK 0.6 is probably a bit high for a TC Build - About 0.3 - 0.5 would be best, As Longy01 says keep it simple, single wire spaced coil and not too much wick - less than you'd use for a Kanthal or Clapton build, TC will not work well with too much wick as it slows the juice flow. Most problems with TC can be traced to too much wick or poor coils.

I'm confused by that too. When I had my first stab at TC I was told to build as high as possible with stainless to ensure accuracy as its not a hugely accurate wire. I will get some build pictures up soon. Just got in from work so brew and food are required.

Why's that?

I'm confuddled now too pmsl??? I've had fewer issues with higher resistance SS builds than lower. I've always been advised to keep SS builds higher in resistance and I've always advised the same too lol. Am now scratching my noggin lol???

I use 28/32 and the 26/32 SS clapton a hell of a lot too and it also works pretty well with contact coils too :). The Crazy Wire stuff is well made however. I had a random spool of some 26/32 off of Amazon before I knew more about it all and as was previously mentioned it had to be used spaced only or it was a ROYAL PITFA. Crazy Wire clapton works very nicely for TC contact coils. Virtually everything I vape is TC now, only a couple of mods/atty's are wattage rigs :).

Thanks in advance.
Thom

Certainly sounds like it's wicking bud. You want it to slide through nice and easily with the tiniest touch of resistance to almost zero. It can take a few goes to nail it. Don't be afraid to wick lightly as long as you have enough wick to stop leaks (depending on your atty you can leave slightly longer wick tails to cover that), the worst that can happen is you may notice a slight metallic taste. In which case, add about 8 more single fibres of cotton to ya next try and ya golden hehe ;) ;) ;) ;).

Which Native Wicks are you using?? The puck version or the bag?? I have the puck version and I just can't get on with it for TC (I can't get on that well with it full stop having said that pmsl ;)). Just doesn't seem great for TC use TBH. Try a nice light Muji roll, some Shake and Vape or Fuzion has been working very well for me recently. Fibre Freaks is good too, takes a bit of adjusting too though as it's cellulose, or of course good old Cotton Bacon. Fuzion has definitely started to emerge as a firm favourite for me personally, it's specifically made for vaping, huge tub for under a tenner and very little waste too :D. Some cottons there seems to be incredible waste!!

No shortage of choice for wicking these days, and more and more cottons now being produced by vapers specifically for vaping rather than being adopted from other purposes, we're getting spoilt now :).

Why's that?
I'd normally say around 0.5 is good for TC with SS316 due to problems I've had at the Higher voltages - mostly I'll admit on non DNA mods, plus the physical size of the coil starts to become an issue - spacing wraps makes far longer coils so it means less room...

problems I've had at the Higher voltages

Can you explain the problems in more detail?

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious. I normally build in the 0.5-0.7 Ohm range with SS and have no problems - but I have only used SS on DNA75s

@Arctic_Wolf, can you pop up a picture of one of your Clapton TC builds for a reference please? I too found native to take some getting used to. With my wattage builds I get some very good flavour from it. The the trick with it is to strip off a length pinch one end and blow down it from the other end and it fluffs up massively then I strip off fibres until it's right. But I still can't seem to get it right for TC. I will give what you suggest a shot in a bit.

Back
Top Bottom