What's new

Need help with TC SS settings please

TC vaping is all about balance from what I gathered in my dabbles with it.

.. and it could take a while to find the sweet spot for yourself. I never really did, that's why I kind of gave up with it.

Take your 80w/300c example.

The 80w is the power the mod is going to initially deliver to the coil/s and 300c is the coil temperature that the mod will attempt not to exceed by backing off the power as it nears the target temperature.(this can be seen if you watch the display, as you vape) If you set your watts really low, the mod may never reach the target coil temperature and too high a wattage and the temperature will be reached too soon and cut off power in mid vape.

Another factor when vaping in temperature control is you. The airflow you draw across the coil will vary the rate at which the coil temperature increases and is worth remembering.

Thanks man, never thought of taking a hard/soft pull making a difference. It was just so simple on my Kanger and maybe I was just lucky that I just got it and hit a sweet spot on first use and never went back to wattage on that device.

So essentially, you are looking for a personal preference balance between W and temp

Gotta be honest, I dabbled with temp control but soon realised that, well, it kinda takes the fun out of vaping and it seems more enjoyable if you use the human form of temp control. Draw strength and wattage settings.

However, It is definitely something that every vaper should experiment with and make their own minds up.

yeah ill try it out for maybe a week or 2. TC is deffo better (for me) than wattage on my Kanger but maybe not with this Alien+TFV8.

Thanks for all your input, has cleared a few things up anyway :)

I'd defo start with higher wattage/lower temps at first, it doesn't make any sense to start with a high temp and a low wattage.

Using lower wattage is usually a sign a mod is not the best at doing TC so real you are using power mode with a TC set to help stop getting dry hits rather than a nice smooth constant temp vape. A good TC mod you set your watts high for a quick ramp up and let the chip work its magic keeping the vape constant. As you have noticed with your mod you can feel the power switching in and out a little so you know the TC is working, on something like a DNA (DNA chips are regarded as one of the best if not best TC chips) mod you don't notice this at all just a smooth constant vape experience.

I know on most of my non-DNA mods the screen literally reads "temperature control" or something like that. or more precisely, it shows the temperature while it's increasing and then swaps the number to "temperature control" when it's there.
frankly, I usually start at about 40w and increase if necessary so as not to 'shock' the coil. the fatter the wire, the slower it warms up and so it needs more oomph to get it started. quite a few mods also have a preheat function to allow for this as well - if yours has got preheat, let it have a second at higher power to get things bumbling along rather than wind the watts full up.
I tend to think of my coil like a light bulb filament..... too much of a surge can cause it to blow - but the principle of TC is the board takes over and limits the wattage anyway.

when I first started TC I was told two basic principles: 1) higher resistance is better - higher resistance is more predictable and, therefore, accurate. 2) give it enough watts to get to your set temperature reasonably quickly, but don't rip the arse out if it.

last thing; for TC you really do need spaced coils.
the TCR figure tells the board what the relationship is between change in resistance and the metal's temperature. BUT if the coils touch, the resistance is effected and so the relationship between resistance and temperature gets skewed - end result is it can't control touching coils anywhere nearly as well as it can control spaced coils.

there's a good thread that explains the key science bits about TC wires in a way that's not too sciency - it might be useful for you
https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/...threads/tc-accuracy-and-wire-selection.87131/

Does that help?

Yeah man, thats one of those lightbulb moments, as soon as I read your first line it made total sense.

I just changed up the juice to one i vape a lot so know very well and could then tell which setting need adjusted, have landed again at 100w @ 250c giving a really good flavour, that funny taste I had before must have been the juice.

I'd still like to know a bit more about it if any TC users could make it simple. I dont know what the difference is for example of having 80w / 300c to like 120w / 200c ?

I just turned my Kanger back on to nosey and realised it does actually have a wattage setting in TC (non-adjustable though) but seems preset at 75w.
The thing to remember about TC is that it isn't strictly controlling the temperature - it's monitoring the resistance of the coil. Some wires change resistance as they heat up, TC uses this effect to control the temperature, by monitoring the resistance change and comparing the "Cold" start resistance to the current resistance using the TCR tables programmed into the device the mod is able to work out that 'x' resistance equals 'n' degrees.
This works perfectly well for simple single wire spaced coils as there are no variables other than the temperature of the wire. ONce you start to try TC with much more complex coils you begin to run into multiple variables affecting the resistance - varying resistance along the length of the wire, varying resistance of the different wraps, varying heating and cooling rates for the cores and overwraps etc.
Wattage in TC is a lot like the accelerator in a car - How hard you press determines how fast you reach your predetermined speed (or even if you reach it). You need to remember that your mod will use the set wattage (and any preheat boost setting) to reach the set temperature - once there it will throttle back on the wattage varying it in reall time to maintain the set temperature.

Using your example 80w @ 300c would be like any other wattage at 300c - the important thing being the set temperature, however set at say 50w @300c your mod might struggle to reach that temperature (Which is extremely hot BTW) and at best would get there only slowly whilst setting the mod to 150w at 300c would mean it gets there much faster.

I prefer to run lower wattage settings so that you don't get overshoot on coils with more mass - pumping high watts into a heavy coil means that once the mod realises it's up to temperature it may have been pouring on the power and the coil is still heating when it throttles back, so it throttles back more, the coil then starts to cool and you begin the cycle again - DNA mods cope with it pretty well but some other types can get a noticeable "Flutter" to the vape when it's happening

I prefer to run lower wattage settings so that you don't get overshoot on coils with more mass - pumping high watts into a heavy coil means that once the mod realises it's up to temperature it may have been pouring on the power and the coil is still heating when it throttles back,

is this similar to when I realise I'm pissed and so I stop drinking...... and then black out anyway (and potentially pee myself) because everything else i've drunk is working it's way through from my belly?

shit, if only the judge had explained it like this years ago my life could have been much simpler ;)

is this similar to when I realise I'm pissed and so I stop drinking...... and then black out anyway (and potentially pee myself) because everything else i've drunk is working it's way through from my belly?

shit, if only the judge had explained it like this years ago my life could have been much simpler ;)
Dat's der bunny...

Back
Top Bottom