What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Nautilus 2 in TC

VapingUnicorn

I'm going to be building my own coils soon, but I'm hanging on to my trusty Nautilus for a while as I've got several coil heads to get through. Anyway, for a long time I've been using it in VW at 23 W (I like a good kick), but having got a new NET e-liquid that refused to taste anything but burnt, I went back to using it with the 0.15 Ω Ni200 Triton coils in TC mode. However, unlike my other TC coils they seem to behave rather erratically and I wonder if anyone has had similar issues:
  • Vapour production is minimal below 260 °C
  • The wattage at the point temp-protection kicks in is sometimes as high as 30 W or as low as 7.5 W
When its only firing at 7ish W the vapour is completely pants. I thought that it might be contact resistance but the mod reads consistently 0.17 Ω and I let it cool right down before I test it (for consistency). The only thing I can come up with is that the Triton coil heads just aren't that much cop and the coil mass is too low causing inaccuracies of resistivity measurements as the temperature of the coil is fluctuating.

Has anyone had any success with Triton Ni200 coils (in an MTL setup rather than restricted DTL)? I'd really like to able to vape my Drakes NET liquids on MTL with this tank if possible. And I worry that I may be missing something simple I don't want to get similar problems with my own builds when I start...

All thoughts gratefully received :)

In my experience, darker coloured NET's tend to clog coils really quickly, which would perhaps be a reason why your vape sucks. When I vape them I have to rewick and burn the gunk off the coils every few days.

Is your wick darkening?

Better info would be what mod is being used for TC. Generally stock coils are average at TC & on a mod that is poor at TC this compounds any issues.

In my experience, darker coloured NET's tend to clog coils really quickly, which would perhaps be a reason why your vape sucks. When I vape them I have to rewick and burn the gunk off the coils every few days.

Is your wick darkening?

The wick doesn't appear to be darkening but then it doesn't really have time to - can be as little as 1 or 2 mls of liquid run through it. NETs do tend to clog up the ol' coils though... I'll see how things go with the RTA's I've got coming - a lot less costly to dump the wick.

Better info would be what mod is being used for TC. Generally stock coils are average at TC & on a mod that is poor at TC this compounds any issues.

I'm running it on a Wismec Reuleaux RX200S - it's always seemed pretty well behaved in TC mode with Smok Ni200 and Innokin SS316 coils. That said, I don't think the performance was great with Triton Ni200 coils in my Atlantis EVO either. Maybe it's a mod/coil pairing issue...

I have a Triton and the Nautilus 2....and my understanding is of these coils, is that Triton clapton coils works better in the Naut..(but BVCs are no so good in the Triton), but as for the 0.15 ni ones, apparently they ain't much cop in either tank! My advice is just stick to the regular coils for the Nautilus, as the 0.7s are pretty good. I've use those in mine..and the current one has been in use for over 3 weeks now....far better then 1.8 BVCs i use in the Mini, which i'm lucky if can get 4 days out of them!

Ni 200 is terrible material for tc. Boggles the mind that they settled on it as a material for the first tc coils. They where a pain in the arse paired with the first tc mods.
I do use tc when vaping with the mtl squonk set up sometimes but again with dark or net liquids you have to brush the coils daily and change them every few day's. No biggie but still a pain compared to kanthal which can be dry burnt and cleaned repeatedly.

I have a Triton and the Nautilus 2....and my understanding is of these coils, is that Triton clapton coils works better in the Naut..(but BVCs are no so good in the Triton), but as for the 0.15 ni ones, apparently they ain't much cop in either tank! My advice is just stick to the regular coils for the Nautilus, as the 0.7s are pretty good. I've use those in mine..and the current one has been in use for over 3 weeks now....far better then 1.8 BVCs i use in the Mini, which i'm lucky if can get 4 days out of them!
Never got on with the claptons. The flavour was too unfocused. The 1.8 ohm ones used to be the best but I hear they aren't performing as well currently.
Been surprised how well the coils last in the zenith. Quite impressive.

I run ni200 triton coils a lot and always run a pin through the cotton before use several times to help the wicking.
Works great on my cuboid and releaux mods and find that doing this with all coils now days helps, as the quality control from most manufacturers varies from batch to batch so much.

Never got on with the claptons. The flavour was too unfocused. The 1.8 ohm ones used to be the best but I hear they aren't performing as well currently.
Been surprised how well the coils last in the zenith. Quite impressive.

I tried the clapton in Triton, and didn't like it...just a weird constant metalic taste from it...and the tank wasn't that great. Something definately has changed in recent months with 1.8 BVCs...more's the pity.

But those Zenith coils just keep on going!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom