What's new

MTL and temp control

bidley

Postman
So what's the deal? It seems like TC is only for sub-ohm lung hitting.

I tried a SS coil in my Kayfun at about 1.5ohm, and it was no different to normal kanthal. Any suggestions, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

TC works perfectly for MTL. What mod were you using? Not sure what you mean by it being no different to normal kanthal. What do you mean? What settings did you use? Did you wrap a spaced coil? Coil details would be useful.

I was using a Wismec Presa 75w, at about 13w, SS316L wire. Non-spaced coils though. I was cycling up and down the temperature and it wasn't getting much warmer or cooler. Just tasted and felt the same as a bog standard kanthal build.

The Presa only fires up to 1 ohm in TC mode so it was probably reverting to wattage mode. Spaced coils are all but essential for TC vaping. Coil resistance in TC mode doesn't equate to that in wattage mode, by which I mean don't look at a 0.5 ohm 316LSS coil so much as low resistance but rather as a suitably high enough resistance for decently stable TC vaping (if that makes any sense). Try a spaced coil somewhere in the 0.5 - 0.75 ohm range and give it another go would be my advice. Wick it significantly looser than you would a kanthal coil also.

Last edited:
The Presa only fires up to 1 ohm in TC mode so it was probably reverting to wattage mode. Spaced coils are all but essential for TC vaping. Coil resistance in TC mode doesn't equate to that in wattage mode, by which I mean don't look at a 0.5 ohm 316LSS coil so much as sub-ohm vaping but rather as a suitably high enough resistance for decently stable TC vaping (if that makes any sense). Try a spaced coil somewhere in the 0.5 - 0.75 ohm range and give it another go would be my advice. Wick it significantly looser than you would a kanthal coil also.
So 0.5 - 0.75ohm is ok for MTL in a Kayfun 4? Awesome, I'll give it a whirl.

So 0.5 - 0.75ohm is ok for MTL in a Kayfun 4? Awesome, I'll give it a whirl.

I don't know how well the Presa handles SS (is it 316L btw?), stainless steel being quite a poor wire choice for TC in some respects and not handled well by some mods, but if it has decent SS capabilities, that resistance range should be high enough for reasonably stable TC. I'll be interested to hear how you get on, best of luck.
As an aside, Stealthvape NiFe30 would be a better choice of wire, as would NiFe48 or titanium but see how you get on.

Oh, and whack the wattage up a bit to get your coil up to temp at a decent rate. I imagine somewhere in the 20-30 watts range might give better results @danb?

I don't know how well the Presa handles SS (is it 316L btw?), stainless steel being quite a poor wire choice for TC in some respects and not handled well by some mods, but if it has decent SS capabilities, that resistance range should be high enough for reasonably stable TC. I'll be interested to hear how you get on, best of luck.
As an aside, Stealthvape NiFe30 would be a better choice of wire, as would NiFe48 or titanium but see how you get on.
It is 316L yeah. I prefer SS as I find nichrome an absolute pain to wind. Is NiFe any easier? In any case I had no idea that low resistance builds would work with MTL... I suppose that's what the TC is for. Duh!

I've got a DNA 75 mod coming so I'll wait for that, methinks.

It is 316L yeah. I prefer SS as I find nichrome an absolute pain to wind. Is NiFe any easier? In any case I had no idea that low resistance builds would work with MTL... I suppose that's what the TC is for. Duh!

I've got a DNA 75 mod coming so I'll wait for that, methinks.
The NiFe wires are very easy to work with. 28 gauge Stealthvape Nife30 works well for single coil builds. Don't dry burn it though, just one pulse at 600F is sufficient. The DNA75 chip handles SS very well indeed.

The NiFe wires are very easy to work with. 28 gauge Stealthvape Nife30 works well for single coil builds. Don't dry burn it though, just one pulse at 600F is sufficient. The DNA75 chip handles SS very well indeed.
Good news all round. I presume the 12mg juice I usually use will be ok still?

Back
Top Bottom