What's new

Most consistent temperature build

JonTheGreek

Hello everyone I am new to the vape world. In fact I am so new that I don't even own one yet! I have been doing some reading on the internetz and I have concluded that I would like to make build using titanium coils. I'm not a big time smoker so I don't need anything with a crazy big battery. I am also looking to keep the temperatures low, not really trying to go over 200F. There are so many different choices out there that it is very time consuming, I could spend days looking into stuff so instead I decided to join this forum and ask some of the experts.

Pretty much I'm looking for something that has a quality build to it, doesn't have to be top of the line. Consistency in temperature is of utmost importance for me.

Let me add to the temperature consistency. Temperature accuracy and precision along with consistency. Meaning, how true to the settings will the unit be.

Hi @JonTheGreek and welcome to the forum. DNA mods will give a very consistent and accurate TC vape with titanium. I find the Joyetech evic vtc mini to give a very consistent vape also, but there are plenty of others now too.

Hello everyone I am new to the vape world. In fact I am so new that I don't even own one yet! I have been doing some reading on the internetz and I have concluded that I would like to make build using titanium coils. I'm not a big time smoker so I don't need anything with a crazy big battery. I am also looking to keep the temperatures low, not really trying to go over 200F. There are so many different choices out there that it is very time consuming, I could spend days looking into stuff so instead I decided to join this forum and ask some of the experts.

Pretty much I'm looking for something that has a quality build to it, doesn't have to be top of the line. Consistency in temperature is of utmost importance for me.
OK, You need to be aware that Titanium is fairly difficult to build with, It's very tough and springy as a wire so you need a fair amount of coiling experience to get decent builds, However it is possible to buy tanks that take factory made Titanium coils and these should give good results. Your vaping temperature would ideally be about 390f to 460f. 200F is completely unrealistic as that isn't even the boiling point of water (which is 212f). Don't forget the Temp is the temp at the coils surface not at the mouthpiece and depending on the tank may need to be higher or lower than the 425f median point.
For your choice of device it depends on your budget as much as anything - Evolv DNA based devices are the most consistent and accurate devices but aren't always cheap. Joyetech and Wismec have a few devices that are cheap with good temperature control so if you're on a tight budget they may be more attractive...

Last edited:
Thank you guys for your super fast responses, I was afraid that this section was barely looked at.

@Mr Numpty :
So this DNA mod is it the mac-daddy of electronic control and features? I looked into them and they were all pretty expensive for me at the moment. The cheapest one I found was $60 and I would still have to buy a battery for it. Plus, the only colors that were in stock were orange, pink, or purple. :hmm: yeahhhh... not havin' it :) I looked into them and I really really like the fact that they have downloadable software that you can customize the mod. The joyetech looks pretty nice too and I really like how they release firmware updates. It's hard to make a selection! :(

@Tubbyengineer :
Would I need to heat up the Ti a little to help form some kind of memory? Closest I've ever come to working with Ti was a full Ti exhaust. Boy did that thing sound beautiful, at least I would hope so for 6K! :14: Anywho, yes you are correct about the temperature, I should have known better! :8: It is supposed to be in C. I don't really want to go higher than 200-210(max). I would hope that it would read at the coil.
I am going to have to take a closer look at some of these vape mod boxes. It is a very interesting field. The DNA line can be purchased separately and made into a box of ones own design! The fact that this company offers something like that is pretty cool. Though I would need to have my friend design something for me in cad.... May sound a little too ambitious but maybe one day, just one day!, I could make one.

So at the end of the day I decided to go to my local vape shop and check out what they had there. I ended up going to two of them and found something I think is perfect for my needs. It is an Eleaf iStick Power Nano. So far I'm super pleased with it and for the price I paid it was pretty much the same as online and I got to support a local business. Too bad these damned things are all made in China. Hopefully there are some exceptions...

Anyways, I've been playing with it for a little and I have one of the nicer disposable cartridges, glass tank and chrome tip, on it and it seems to be holding up pretty well. From what I was told I should not exceed more than 7watts on the thing for risk of ruining the coil. It has this auto-detect mode, it seems like, and says that I have a 1.78 ohm coil on there. I would like to get a moth to lung clearomizer but not really sure what to get. Looking to keep the theme of small and compact (remember I'm not a big time smoker so I don't need a lot), I came across the Aspire Nautilus Mini online and it looks promising.

The Nautilus Mini says it has a bottom vertical coil and ceramic wick. Are these vertical coil systems compatible with my iStick? They should be, right? A quick search lead me to a very nice video that says they are rebuild-able. So my idea is this if I end up purchasing it, buy the cotton and Ti and simply rebuild it like in the video. Is there an advantage to using ceramic vs cotton?

Again, thank you guys.

Thank you guys for your super fast responses, I was afraid that this section was barely looked at.

@Mr Numpty :
So this DNA mod is it the mac-daddy of electronic control and features? I looked into them and they were all pretty expensive for me at the moment. The cheapest one I found was $60 and I would still have to buy a battery for it. Plus, the only colors that were in stock were orange, pink, or purple. :hmm: yeahhhh... not havin' it :) I looked into them and I really really like the fact that they have downloadable software that you can customize the mod. The joyetech looks pretty nice too and I really like how they release firmware updates. It's hard to make a selection! :(

@Tubbyengineer :
Would I need to heat up the Ti a little to help form some kind of memory? Closest I've ever come to working with Ti was a full Ti exhaust. Boy did that thing sound beautiful, at least I would hope so for 6K! :14: Anywho, yes you are correct about the temperature, I should have known better! :8: It is supposed to be in C. I don't really want to go higher than 200-210(max). I would hope that it would read at the coil.
I am going to have to take a closer look at some of these vape mod boxes. It is a very interesting field. The DNA line can be purchased separately and made into a box of ones own design! The fact that this company offers something like that is pretty cool. Though I would need to have my friend design something for me in cad.... May sound a little too ambitious but maybe one day, just one day!, I could make one.

So at the end of the day I decided to go to my local vape shop and check out what they had there. I ended up going to two of them and found something I think is perfect for my needs. It is an Eleaf iStick Power Nano. So far I'm super pleased with it and for the price I paid it was pretty much the same as online and I got to support a local business. Too bad these damned things are all made in China. Hopefully there are some exceptions...

Anyways, I've been playing with it for a little and I have one of the nicer disposable cartridges, glass tank and chrome tip, on it and it seems to be holding up pretty well. From what I was told I should not exceed more than 7watts on the thing for risk of ruining the coil. It has this auto-detect mode, it seems like, and says that I have a 1.78 ohm coil on there. I would like to get a moth to lung clearomizer but not really sure what to get. Looking to keep the theme of small and compact (remember I'm not a big time smoker so I don't need a lot), I came across the Aspire Nautilus Mini online and it looks promising.

The Nautilus Mini says it has a bottom vertical coil and ceramic wick. Are these vertical coil systems compatible with my iStick? They should be, right? A quick search lead me to a very nice video that says they are rebuild-able. So my idea is this if I end up purchasing it, buy the cotton and Ti and simply rebuild it like in the video. Is there an advantage to using ceramic vs cotton?

Again, thank you guys.

A 1.78 ohm coil should be perfect for mouth to lung vaping.. ideally you want an over ohm rather than subohm coil for this style of vaping... how high will depend on what atomiser/tank you are using.. no difference in terms of whether the mod you have will run vertical or horizontal coils.. both will work fine.. in a rebuildable tank/device cotton is far easier to get started on with your wicking and building and very cheap and simple to replace... havent really used ceramic wicks... they should generally give you a longer lifespan before having to change and some people find the tatse cleaner... however they are normally more difficult to learn to build with and less forgiving is my general understanding of it... but as tech has been moving on so quickly lately that may no longer be the case... would look up youtube builds for the atties you are considering and just making sure that the build is clear and easy to understand before deciding on which one to buy...

As I understand it, you don't want to "dry burn" titanium wire as titanium dioxide is poisonous and, as Tubbyengineer pointed out, it's not the easiest wire to work with so rebuilding those tiny coil heads would be very tricky. I would recommend starting out with 316L stainless steel if you want to get into building your own coils for temperature control.

For a small MTL tank you can't do much better than the new Nautilus 2. It has the same 2ml capacity as the Nautilus Mini but is more durable and easier to refill. It uses the same Nautilus BVC coils, but they use cotton now, as the ceramic coils were unpopular. The 1.8 ohm coil is best.

The coil resistance isn't really important with temp control mouth to lung vaping (see the thread about this from a couple of weeks back). The problem is finding an atomiser with restricted air flow which is rebuildable or comes with temp control coil heads, as the trend these days is for wide open direct to lung.

If you want MTL, I would go for the Aspire and stick to the kanthal (variable wattage) coil heads for now. Then maybe look into something like a Kayfun mini clone to experiment with building your own temp control coils.

@Mr Numpty :

@Tubbyengineer :

Again, thank you guys.
Don't heat Titanium with a torch or anything like that, You can build a coil, fit it into the atomiser then run it in Temp mode at 500-600f for a few seconds, then re insert the mandrel you used (coiling tool, screwdriver etc.) and pull evrything tight and into shape again. then adjust and trim the coil before letting it cool, wicking and re registering it's resistance. I recenly rebuilt a GP Dripper Pro with Titanium and spent a good ten minutes or so fiddling with it and adjusting everything neatly - that patience pays off though as I now have a coil that will last for several months and is giving a solid stable result...

Back
Top Bottom