What's new

Mod Accuracy Advice

Toastie

Achiever
Hi all,

Been trying out temperature control for mtl vaping. Has been going pretty well to be fair, using 26g ss316l, pretty much following pbusardo. I don't own any dna mods sadly, using the smok majesty. I've heard bad things about their tem control, however djlsb rated this one highly in his tests.

I decided to use his recommended tcr value of 98 and have just done a dry cotton burn test. I have included a picture of the wick, 400F yielded no browning at all, 410F resulted in the light brown section and 420F is the darkest part.

Just wondering if you would say this is a good enough calibration, so to speak? I just want to know that if I set it at 450, I'm actually getting around that temperature and not way off.

The only other concern I have is that the build deck on the gate rta is only capable of taking 5 spaced wraps of 26g, sometimes I do 4. Usually ohming out mid 0.3s.

_20190406_004322.JPG

You would expect some browning in the middle the real true test is when vaping if it’s getting course on the throat where it’s bordering on a dry hit

You could try 28awg if you want to get the resistance a bit higher. The TC might be a bit more accurate then as well.

I have thought about getting some 28g, how soft is it compared to 28g kanthal? Wondering if its a pain to wick without messing up the wraps.

I messed around with wrap numbers and was getting different results at different ohms, some were leaving dark spots at 400.

I own the Smok Majesty and Wismec RX Gen3. Thought I got rid of the RX, but found it last night, is it known for having decent tc?

I have thought about getting some 28g, how soft is it compared to 28g kanthal? Wondering if its a pain to wick without messing up the wraps.

I messed around with wrap numbers and was getting different results at different ohms, some were leaving dark spots at 400.

I own the Smok Majesty and Wismec RX Gen3. Thought I got rid of the RX, but found it last night, is it known for having decent tc?
Id bet the rx has better tc than the smok and 28g SS is no harder to build with or wick with than kanthal, if you want ill send you a few metres of it to try before you buy a spool [emoji4]

Wismec/Eleaf boards are/were good boards especially with Artic Fox installed, but good out the box. Can't comment on the newer Wismec boards as only use DNA mods but guessing they're still good. There should be an SS profile already installed so no messing with TCR's needed. Only thing I find personally with SS is poor performance the lower the ohm. I aim for 0.3+ohm when using SS to get a consistent vape.

Id bet the rx has better tc than the smok and 28g SS is no harder to build with or wick with than kanthal, if you want ill send you a few metres of it to try before you buy a spool [emoji4]

Thanks. I'll need to get some new batteries for the rx, not going to put unpaired batteries in it.

Wismec/Eleaf boards are/were good boards especially with Artic Fox installed, but good out the box. Can't comment on the newer Wismec boards as only use DNA mods but guessing they're still good. There should be an SS profile already installed so no messing with TCR's needed. Only thing I find personally with SS is poor performance the lower the ohm. I aim for 0.3+ohm when using SS to get a consistent vape.

I did try an older eleaf istick melo 60w mod I have, it's the 4400mah internal battery one. However, the wire burned the cotton and glowed out even at 370f. I've heard a lot of people installing that firmware on the pico 75w.

Link to a thread in MTL section on TC vaping. Might be of interest.

https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/...hreads/what-can-tc-offer-an-mtl-vaper.172165/

Thanks, already read a few pages in, but I'll brush up on the rest when I get the chance.

The preheat is probably set too high, some mods default to max wattage so will burn dry cotton. If you vape a 0.3 ohm coil at 35w preheat would only need to be 10w higher to get the coil up to temp asap (as an example).

@nwhornet is correct, the TC on Eleaf/joyetech/wismec boards is good but you will need to set the TC wattage manually otherwise it will pump the full 75w out which doesn't work.

Back
Top Bottom