What's new

Mixing metal...?

MilesDeep

Postman
I was wondering if anyone has mixed metals in a coil build. I know certain metals corrode when in contact with others, but I've just been getting really curious about certain things.
Is there a benefit? Is it even done? If so, which combinations are preferable?

Having 2 different metals for coils is widely accepted - say SS cored, kanthal wrapped claptons or my old favorite of staged coils with wraps of Nichrome and kanth.

But, with TC you won't be able to do that. Maybe with SS and TI. I assume you need TC rated wires otherwise it will all go pear shaped.
And, no you can't really use Nichrome for TC. Fantastic in mechs however.

@Tubbyengineer @danb - any words of TC wisdom for the lad??

hi do you mean using 2 wires wrap together or do you mean 2 types of coils like say 1 ss316 coil and a ni80 coil as i dont think the latter will work together as the ni80 will ramp up much faster than the ss316 will so if i were you i would stick to using 2 coils the same type ...................

I was wondering if anyone has mixed metals in a coil build. I know certain metals corrode when in contact with others, but I've just been getting really curious about certain things.
Is there a benefit? Is it even done? If so, which combinations are preferable?
Having 2 different metals for coils is widely accepted - say SS cored, kanthal wrapped claptons or my old favorite of staged coils with wraps of Nichrome and kanth.

But, with TC you won't be able to do that. Maybe with SS and TI. I assume you need TC rated wires otherwise it will all go pear shaped.
And, no you can't really use Nichrome for TC. Fantastic in mechs however.

@Tubbyengineer @danb - any words of TC wisdom for the lad??
@MilesDeep
Mixing metals is common in claptons etc, Mixed metals don't work well for TC, but are fine in power control...

What as in twisting them together, like a Clapton.
Or am I getting it wrong and you want to smelt some different materials together lol, that's prob outside most ppl expertise here. But you may get lucky[emoji23]

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Planet of the Vapes Forum mobile app
Lol. No no. Nothing like that. I've been trying different braids and got to wondering about using several stands of one type with a few of another. Or even running two different types in parallel.

Lol. No no. Nothing like that. I've been trying different braids and got to wondering about using several stands of one type with a few of another. Or even running two different types in parallel.
Ahh OK can't say I've tried different materials in tc only different gauges of the same type.
Try it see what happens [emoji38]

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Planet of the Vapes Forum mobile app

Back
Top Bottom