What's new

Help please!

300c is hot, that's 570F ... way over anything I would vape at, so I'm not sure what's going on, but something is seriously not right with it if it's cutting out the vape totally, it shouldn't be doing that regardless of any settings.
Yep, weird thing is the SS coil vapes fine without TC (no dry hits) at about 30W.

I've given up for now though and gone back to Kanthal!

OK The normal answer to a cold weak vape is too much wick, I get a bit sick of saying it but it's normally true, the cotton should slide through the coil with only SLIGHT resistance, if it's pulling the coil about at all then it's too much cotton.
It does seem odd that you're getting this though - are you sure the settings are correct - this is the kind of thing I'd expect from a mod using the wrong material setting - It's looking at the change of resistance and seeing a bigger change than it expects - causing it to think that the temperature is much higher.
I'd also say it might be an idea to check your wire is actually SS316L - although the TCR for SS316L is 0.000880 and for SS316 its 0.000879
A good way to be sure you're in the right ball park material wise is just to compare the expected resistance for your build against actual resistance - steam engines wire wizard will give you the correct figures for that...

@Tubbyengineer thanks for that, I did use steam engine originally to calculate the number of wraps for the coil, I was targeting a resistance of 0.5 ohm and most of the SS316L coils I've built have come out at 0.5-6 ohm to start with at room temp, which would appear to be normal. The SS316L wire I've got has Geekvape branding on it and I bought it from a decent local b&m shop.

When I have the chance I will look at the 316L TCR value and see if the increases in resistance I'm getting on the SS316L wire are normal and also try adjusting the mod's TCR to 316L (not 316).

@Tubbyengineer thanks for that, I did use steam engine originally to calculate the number of wraps for the coil, I was targeting a resistance of 0.5 ohm and most of the SS316L coils I've built have come out at 0.5-6 ohm to start with at room temp, which would appear to be normal. The SS316L wire I've got has Geekvape branding on it and I bought it from a decent local b&m shop.

When I have the chance I will look at the 316L TCR value and see if the increases in resistance I'm getting on the SS316L wire are normal and also try adjusting the mod's TCR to 316L (not 316).
TBH the difference between the two types of 316 will result in about a twenty to 30 degree temperature offset at most so I doubt it's the TCR value thats the issue, if you have an atty with factory built 316 coils they should work perfectly in TC - if they don't then the issue is with the mod not your build...

TBH the difference between the two types of 316 will result in about a twenty to 30 degree temperature offset at most so I doubt it's the TCR value thats the issue, if you have an atty with factory built 316 coils they should work perfectly in TC - if they don't then the issue is with the mod not your build...
Unfortunately I didn't have any factory built SS316L coils but
I think I've finally cracked this. It would seem that the problem was merely due to the wrong wire gauge (heat capacity too low), the coil being wonky, the juice channel being overwicked and the coil possibly being slightly underwicked. Apart from all that it was fine though :)
Now that I've sorted all that out, it's vaping perfectly on TC at 170C and 30W. Incidentally I also discovered that on the Kaos Spectrum the pre-heat wattage setting also acts as the general wattage setting in TC mode.

Back
Top Bottom