What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Help please!

I'm saying that a short while after putting the coil in, I can't get any vape off of it at all in TC mode, regardless of temperature setting, which obviously isn't the expected behaviour. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

no that isn't .... to be honest I never had much success with TC until I got a mod that did it well. I've no experience with your mod but I have several that are useless in TC mode, so much so that I wondered why they bothered putting on as a feature.

Yes it's an RTA (Geekvape Ammit 22mm), I'm not all that experienced with wrapping coils so it's not a spaced coil, I could try making one of those though. I'm pretty experienced with rewicking though and the wick is fine, certainly not too tight.
TC coils need to be spaced. Otherwise you get what you are seeing. I make a normal micro coil then stretch it out a bit and then push it back together again. usualy end up with a 1-2mm gap between the coils. Otherwise the coil gets hot but the vape is just wispy.

I don't think I can set the wattage when in TC mode on the Kaos. All I can do is set the "preheat power" which I've put at 50W for 0.001 seconds (by default it was set to 100W for 0.001s). With regards to the temperature, it really doesn't matter if I set the minimum (100C) or maximum (300C). The same thing happens, a short while after putting the coil in the mod's realtime display shows that it's consistently firing at about 1W, which as may as well be 0W.
OK, just in case it's firing at some ridiculously high wattage after the preheat period, try lowering the preheat to say 45W, but making it the maximum time rather than the minimum (I don't have your mod, so don't know how long that would be).

I use TC using SS316L in the Geekvape Ammit 22, Single Coil Deck. I run 26awg SS3216L, 6/7 wraps, 3mm inner diameter, spaced coil, it ohms out around 0.5 ohms. That's my standard SS TC coil.

This coil needs only 20-25 watts. I set TC wattage (which is preheat in TC mode on the KAOS) to a maximum of 30 watts on some mods, and 25 watts on others. Hit it with too much wattage initially and the coil will overheat, causing a very aggressive temperature protection to cut in, which is what you might be seeing.

Last edited:
TC coils need to be spaced. Otherwise you get what you are seeing.
OK I watched a YouTube vid on how to do spaced coils, built a spaced one with 7 wraps, came out looking good, was quite proud of it for a first attempt but unfortunately I'm still getting exactly the same problem!

OK, just in case it's firing at some ridiculously high wattage after the preheat period, try lowering the preheat to say 45W, but making it the maximum time rather than the minimum (I don't have your mod, so don't know how long that would be).
I tried it and it fires at 45W for 1 second (the max preheat time) then goes down to about 1W.

I use TC using SS316L in the Geekvape Ammit 22, Single Coil Deck. I run 26awg SS3216L, 6/7 wraps, 3mm inner diameter, spaced coil, it ohms out around 0.5 ohms. That's my standard SS TC coil.

This coil needs only 20-25 watts. I set TC wattage (which is preheat in TC mode on the KAOS) to a maximum of 30 watts on some mods, and 25 watts on others. Hit it with too much wattage initially and the coil will overheat, causing a very aggressive temperature protection to cut in, which is what you might be seeing.
OK thanks, my coil build is identical to yours. It works a bit better if I do it with preheat at 25W and 1 second, but it still doesn't work properly, I can still hardly get a vape out of it at 300C after a minute or so of use.

I'm really not sure why it's still not working but it's frustrating for sure. Maybe I should try looking at the TCR settings.

300c is hot, that's 570F ... way over anything I would vape at, so I'm not sure what's going on, but something is seriously not right with it if it's cutting out the vape totally, it shouldn't be doing that regardless of any settings.

Back
Top Bottom