What's new

Help please!

makeyourself

Initiate
I just can't seem to get the hang of TC despite reading a couple of guides in the past and trying a couple of different mods and tanks and Ni / SS.

What happens is that I put the tank on the mod, lock the resistance at room temp and soon after, it just keeps hitting the temp limit almost straight away after firing the mod. What could I be doing wrong?

At the moment I'm using a Sigelei Kaos with a Geekvape Ammit (22mm version) and an SS316L coil. I have the mod in SS316 mode (presumably the difference in TCR of 316 vs 316L is negligible for these purposes?). Also, I realise that using an RTA complicates matters but I've watched the resistance of my current coil go from 0.49 ohms at room temp directly after building it (as read by the mod) to currently 0.79 ohms, which is a bit of a ridiculous increase isn't that presumably can't be put down purely to temp increase? The screws on the coil are not loose. I'm wondering if I'm supposed to let the coil sit for a while or something after building it before using it in TC mode?

TC is doing what it's supposed to do. you set it to say 420f, press the fire button, wire heats up & the moment it gets to set temp it throttles the power to maintain the temp. Some mods are better than others at TC & provide a smoother vape, ie no pulsing hot or cold when taking a pull.
Can't comment on your particular mod as never used it.
There will be an increase in ohm when wire heats up but that does seem high so all I can suggest is checking all connections are clean. Is it a spaced coil, wicking not too tight?

@makeyourself, Sigelei are not great at TC unfortunately, but, as well as the answer to @speedfreek67's question, it would help to know the wattage and temperature you've selected. At too high a power and/or too low a temperature the TC will kick in almost immediately.

I just can't seem to get the hang of TC despite reading a couple of guides in the past and trying a couple of different mods and tanks and Ni / SS.

What happens is that I put the tank on the mod, lock the resistance at room temp and soon after, it just keeps hitting the temp limit almost straight away after firing the mod. What could I be doing wrong?

At the moment I'm using a Sigelei Kaos with a Geekvape Ammit (22mm version) and an SS316L coil. I have the mod in SS316 mode (presumably the difference in TCR of 316 vs 316L is negligible for these purposes?). Also, I realise that using an RTA complicates matters but I've watched the resistance of my current coil go from 0.49 ohms at room temp directly after building it (as read by the mod) to currently 0.79 ohms, which is a bit of a ridiculous increase isn't that presumably can't be put down purely to temp increase? The screws on the coil are not loose. I'm wondering if I'm supposed to let the coil sit for a while or something after building it before using it in TC mode?

I think you are missing the point of TC, if it wasn't hitting the limit then you wouldn't really be vaping in TC would you? If that temperature is too low for you then set it higher..... I don't really get what you are saying.

Are these rebuildable tanks? if so are you using a spaced coil? I find that this happens when the coil is touching..

Is it a spaced coil, wicking not too tight?

Are these rebuildable tanks? if so are you using a spaced coil? I find that this happens when the coil is touching..

Yes it's an RTA (Geekvape Ammit 22mm), I'm not all that experienced with wrapping coils so it's not a spaced coil, I could try making one of those though. I'm pretty experienced with rewicking though and the wick is fine, certainly not too tight.

it would help to know the wattage and temperature you've selected.
I don't think I can set the wattage when in TC mode on the Kaos. All I can do is set the "preheat power" which I've put at 50W for 0.001 seconds (by default it was set to 100W for 0.001s). With regards to the temperature, it really doesn't matter if I set the minimum (100C) or maximum (300C). The same thing happens, a short while after putting the coil in the mod's realtime display shows that it's consistently firing at about 1W, which as may as well be 0W.

I think you are missing the point of TC, if it wasn't hitting the limit then you wouldn't really be vaping in TC would you? If that temperature is too low for you then set it higher..... I don't really get what you are saying.
I'm saying that a short while after putting the coil in, I can't get any vape off of it at all in TC mode, regardless of temperature setting, which obviously isn't the expected behaviour. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Back
Top Bottom