What's new

Dumb DNA 75 questions.

red5

Achiever
Bought my my first dna75 mod at expo yesterday, the Smy sdna75, and I'm loving the TC vape from it.. literally blows my Joyetech mods out of the water, but I have a couple of dumb questions.

Do I need to lock the resistance, and is there any benefit to doing so? A quick look around suggests I don't need to as the board should take care of it?

I've left the device on 75watts and I'm currently using a 0.6ohm ss316l Clapton and keep getting the "ohms too high" message once the coil heats up. I believe this is because as the resistance creeps up it requires more voltage to maintain the watts and it's then hitting the 6.2v limit of the DNA75 chip. Whilst it doesn't seem to affect the vape I'm wondering if it would be better/beneficial to drop the wattage in TC or should I not worry about it and let the board take care of it?

Bought my my first dna75 mod at expo yesterday, the Smy sdna75, and I'm loving the TC vape from it.. literally blows my Joyetech mods out of the water, but I have a couple of dumb questions.

Do I need to lock the resistance, and is there any benefit to doing so? A quick look around suggests I don't need to as the board should take care of it?

I've left the device on 75watts and I'm currently using a 0.6ohm ss316l Clapton and keep getting the "ohms too high" message once the coil heats up. I believe this is because as the resistance creeps up it requires more voltage to maintain the watts and it's then hitting the 6.2v limit of the DNA75 chip. Whilst it doesn't seem to affect the vape I'm wondering if it would be better/beneficial to drop the wattage in TC or should I not worry about it and let the board take care of it?
Theres no need to lock the resistance - I never bother, it's only really for if you get a bad connection with a particular atty...
The soft limiting system on the DNA75 will kick in and prevent it doing any damage - but it might be an idea to creep your wattage down slowly until the message goes away just to see what wattage you're getting - that or use Escribes device monitor to see the outputs.
0.6 Ohms is very high for a clapton, especially in SS316, you'd probably get better results using a lower Ohms coil - about 0.3 or 0.4 would be ideal...

Thanks @Tubbyengineer figured the resistance was possibly too high.
Best bet ATM is probably to drop the watts until I stick a new coil in :P

@red5 I don't normally bother locking either. The only thing it is useful for is switching the battery out - if you put a new battery in while the tank is warm, the device will recalibrate using the warm coil resistance when it wakes up unless you lock resistance first.

I run 0.6-0.7 ohm single SS claptons at 30-40W and they work fine (although I don't use massive airflow). If you set the device at about 60W or less (and disable any 75W preheat punch settings in the profile via Escribe), you shouldn't get the voltage limit warning with a 0.6 ohm coil.

Swapped tanks and put my goblin mini v3 on with a 0.48ohm SS316L Clapton and dropped the watts to 50W that seems to have stopped the "ohms too high" messages. Thanks for the pointers guys.
Been running 0.5 to 0.6 claptons in TC on my Eleaf/Joyetech/wismec mods and I have to run them at about 30 watts, if you go above that you begin to get a bit of a dry/burnt taste otherwise. At least with the DNA 75 it carries on with no dry hits, it just flashes the "ohms too high" and gets on with the job (with a subtle hint that you might want to do something about it later).

I still struggle to understand why people need to set the watts so high when running in TC mode, especially with pre-heat if that's your thing. You only need enough to get you to your set temp as quickly as you want. Anything more is just waste, surely?

I still struggle to understand why people need to set the watts so high when running in TC mode, especially with pre-heat if that's your thing. You only need enough to get you to your set temp as quickly as you want. Anything more is just waste, surely?

I agree. I haven't found it necessary to set the initial power more than about double the running power. I usually go for about 50-70% higher - i.e. for a coil that runs around 20W while I'm vaping, I will normally set the initial power to about 30-35W, and find >40W is unnecessary. On cheaper devices, I found setting initial power too high gave a less smooth vape as the coil temperature tended to overshoot and the power output suddenly dropped to almost nothing. So I got used to vaping with moderate wattage settings and have done so ever since - I've never tried cranking everything up to the max on a DNA, but I don't see any reason to try it.

I also don't see the point of preheat punch setting in TC mode. The initial set wattage is already a preheat, why do I need another one?

I agree. I haven't found it necessary to set the initial power more than about double the running power. I usually go for about 50-70% higher - i.e. for a coil that runs around 20W while I'm vaping, I will normally set the initial power to about 30-35W, and find >40W is unnecessary. On cheaper devices, I found setting initial power too high gave a less smooth vape as the coil temperature tended to overshoot and the power output suddenly dropped to almost nothing. So I got used to vaping with moderate wattage settings and have done so ever since - I've never tried cranking everything up to the max on a DNA, but I don't see any reason to try it.

I also don't see the point of preheat punch setting in TC mode. The initial set wattage is already a preheat, why do I need another one?

Totally agree, I MTL and use fairly low temperatures, 390-420 F depending on juice and attie and find using around 15 watts hits temp and maintains it plenty quick enough for me.

When I increase airflow (which is rarely) I'll go up to 20-25 watts.

Back
Top Bottom