What's new

DNA75 calibration tool

ej2_sir

Postman
evening all, just purchased my first dna mod (vt75 nano) and thought id read up a bit while its on the slow boat!
Anyways i read you can buy a copper 510 pin for the mod to calibrate its internal resistance? Anyone done this and is it worthwhile? Will the mod come with a base line setting installed? Thanks in advance, Ive tried TC with a Sig 75, Ipv d2 and joyetech stuff and never been reliable so hoping the dna will be an improvement

Last edited:
evening all, just purchased my first dna mod (vt75 nano) and thought id read up a bit while its on the slow boat!
Anyways i read you can buy a copper 510 pin for the mod to calibrate its internal resistance? Anyone done this and is it worthwhile? Will the mod come with a base line setting installed? Thanks in advance, Ive tried TC with a Sig 75, Ipv d2 and joyetech stuff and never been reliable so hoping the dna will be an improvement

To answer your question... Yes I've calibrated all of my DNA mods with a calibration tool, I used one of these http://signaturetips.com/signatures/signature-mod-s/calibration-tool-for-dna200-devices.html . The manufacturers just preload a standard .ecig file onto all of the devices and whilst the info the file contains that's preinstalled onto your individual device is generally correct, sometimes the numbers are slightly out for things like internal resistance and the case thermal properties (if completed).

Some DNA's come with everything set up for you, some partially set up and some not set up at all. Don't expect the more expensive mods to be all preset either!! A couple of my cheaper DNA's açtually came fully preset and some more expensive ones nothing was preset.

When you use the calibration tool in the atomiser analyser, screw it in and unscrew 3 or 4 times. Hopefully you'll get the same reading every time, if not take an average of your readings ;). If a value has already been entered for the internal mod resistance by the manufacturer, don't forget to set that value to zero first, upload to device, then run the atomiser analyser ;).

A case analysis takes about 4 hours, if you plan to do one if it hasn't been preinstalled set it going before you go to bed or use a spare mod whilst it is carried out :).

Enjoy ya new mod :D, TC should be a lot better once you've got used to the DNA and dial into your preferred settings :D.

Last edited:
thanks for the detailed reply! I used the tool and it came out at 0.006 if i recall. Ive not had chance to run the case analyser yet. Ive kind of put the Tc on hold for a bit as not having the best results, escribe shows everything working right but its just a bit cool/weak at the moment. im sure its wicking so ill play about some more

thanks for the detailed reply! I used the tool and it came out at 0.006 if i recall. Ive not had chance to run the case analyser yet. Ive kind of put the Tc on hold for a bit as not having the best results, escribe shows everything working right but its just a bit cool/weak at the moment. im sure its wicking so ill play about some more

Glad ya all sorted with Escribe :). It's incredibly handy to be able to change various settings to suit your personal needs and ensure your individual device is tweaked and fine tuned :). Now you've ascertained that your mods internal resistance is 0.006, DNA gurus suggest being conservative and leaving a small margin of error. So, you could change the value you enter to 0.005. I've tried both ways with all of mine and the margin of error theory seems to give the better vape :).

TC to some people immediately comes pretty easy, it did to me thankfully. Having said that, my initial experiences with TC was using the standard RX and a Cuboid, it was definitely a little more hit and miss. Whilst it worked OK, I was constantly changing temps and it was nowhere near as smooth as the DNA's, especially with the proper TFR curves doing their job :).. Indeed, sometimes TC vaping can seem to give a slightly weaker vape, especially if you're purely used to large mass builds that get incredibly hot, as is the vape and you're vaping in 2-3 second bursts with wide open airflows. It can seem odd initially. Again personally, I tend to tighten the airflow down more and take long draws using TC, with some liquids and builds,10 and sometimes even 15 seconds lol, other builds shorter draws and more airflow,.but that's simply what works for me :). It's as always purely subjective and the main goal is keeping the coil at at a specific temp for the perfect flavour, don't be overly concerned if you don't get quite as much cloudz ;).. Once I'd transferred all of my TC vaping to the DNA's, I needed very little tinkering early on to dial in, others seem to need to put a lot of effort in to it all though. On the other hand, wattage vaping sub ohm I could never settle and still can't lol, I'm constantly adjusting the damn wattage with builds in power mode lol

It could be wicking, use a little less than you perhaps would if you're used to building with Kanthal, etc. Over wicking can even effect how the mod reads your coil resistance, giving a weak and or variable vape from cold to everything being warmed up. Definitely work on your wicking and don't be afraid to wick lightly. As long as there's sufficient cotton to stop leaks, the worse that can happen is perhaps a slight metallic taste, if so, a tiny bit more wick. Unlike wattage vaping, you don't really want to feel resistance from your cotton as it passes through the coil, you want it to slide through easily ;). Otherwise should it be of any use to you, In general I rarely alter wattage when in TC mode. All of my DNA's are setup to have the desired preheat preferences and I usually just set the working wattage 5 watts below the preheat. As soon as working temp is reached, wattage settings become irrelevant essentially as the TC takes over. Control your vape by adjusting the temp up or down as required, just leave the wattage where it is as long as your coil is ramping up to your preferences :).

Changing to temp dominant in your TC profiles can help too, as you don't need to keep locking your DNA just to quickly alter the TC ;). Additionally, if it helps you as well, I change my DNA's to adjust TC in increments of 5F / 2C. With some flavours that additional bit of fine tuning control can really make a difference :). I also changed all of my DNA's so they only require 3 clicks instead of 5 to lock/unlock. Just another option to make life a little easier if you're not set to temp dominant and you're constantly locking and unlocking the device when experimenting with TC early on :D.

Hope you have another go and things start to improve and/or you give TC some more time to get used to it, as it is very different to a vaping style for example where you're vaping at 80-90+ watts in short sharp bursts lol. You'd definitely need to allow some extra time to adjust for the differences in styles alone first before you even got down to effectively working with TC.

Enjoy :D.

some great advice there! Im not a massive cloud chaser, current build is a 0.6 spaced clapton 26/32 at around 28w on a merlin. ive got some nife 30 and 316 now to have a play with so will report back. Thanks again though for the support!

I noticed mod maker is out of stock of these and the signature tips one is £11 with postage so,if funds are tight after buying a new expensive mod, you can make your own calibration tool using an old carto, a fat piece of copper wire and a load of solder

I noticed mod maker is out of stock of these and the signature tips one is £11 with postage so,if funds are tight after buying a new expensive mod, you can make your own calibration tool using an old carto, a fat piece of copper wire and a load of solder

£11 for a damn copper plug with a 510 threading, fook me :(!!!!! Are they accidentally getting Cu and Au mixed up or something pmsl ;)???

The first one I purchased was about £4!! I misplaced that though lmfao, but the second one was £7 and exactly as expected, about a week after I purchased the second one....... YES, of course I typically found the original when I stopped looking for it lol ;).

The old copper wire looped in an atty trick works, but if it's an atty that has any resistance between the 510 pin and the grub screws pinning the wire, it could cause a misreading. When the readings you're after are as small as a thousandth and you want the figure you enter to be properly calibrated, where possible definitely better to use the copper plug/tool. I can definitely understand people being reluctant to pay out for one to calibrate a single mod however.

You can also look online, especially on the Evolv forums too. Many people who have calibrated with the copper calibration tool upload the results for most common factory DNA's :). Some manufacturers like Volcano even kindly publish the required number and many other settings on their website too :).

I really should go through each of mine, get the readings for each and list them in a single post in the DNA section if it saves people £11 a pop!!!! :D.

£11 for a damn copper plug with a 510 threading, fook me :(!!!!! Are they accidentally getting Cu and Au mixed up or something pmsl ;)???

The first one I purchased was about £4!! I misplaced that though lmfao, but the second one was £7 and exactly as expected, about a week after I purchased the second one....... YES, of course I typically found the original when I stopped looking for it lol ;).

The old copper wire looped in an atty trick works, but if it's an atty that has any resistance between the 510 pin and the grub screws pinning the wire, it could cause a misreading. When the readings you're after are as small as a thousandth and you want the figure you enter to be properly calibrated, where possible definitely better to use the copper plug/tool. I can definitely understand people being reluctant to pay out for one to calibrate a single mod however.

You can also look online, especially on the Evolv forums too. Many people who have calibrated with the copper calibration tool upload the results for most common factory DNA's :). Some manufacturers like Volcano even kindly publish the required number and many other settings on their website too :).

I really should go through each of mine, get the readings for each and list them in a single post in the DNA section if it saves people £11 a pop!!!! :D.
I'll start proceedings then.... Hcigar vt75 nano 0.004 (with 510 plate tightened solid!!)

Back
Top Bottom