What's new

DNA issues

Chadders

Postman
Hi guys,

So I'm using my dna200 panzer and having slight resistance issues. I build using fused Clapton ss316l around 0.4 ohms. Vape is beautiful at 25w 370F.

Now the issue is that if I leave the mod alone for say ten minutes the resistance reading changes to around 0.3 and therefore changes the vape. This happens even with the resistance locked. The only way of changing it is to unscrew the atty and then screw it back down. This is starting to get very annoying as I can not just pick up the mod and vape.

Any ideas or help would be gratefully accepted

Thanks

Hi guys,

So I'm using my dna200 panzer and having slight resistance issues. I build using fused Clapton ss316l around 0.4 ohms. Vape is beautiful at 25w 370F.

Now the issue is that if I leave the mod alone for say ten minutes the resistance reading changes to around 0.3 and therefore changes the vape. This happens even with the resistance locked. The only way of changing it is to unscrew the atty and then screw it back down. This is starting to get very annoying as I can not just pick up the mod and vape.

Any ideas or help would be gratefully accepted

Thanks

What's the atty?

It's the same with a few that I have including a merlin, serpent 25mini, engine

It's the same with a few that I have including a merlin, serpent 25mini, engine

SS by nature will change resistance as it heats and cools bud. That's why it can be used as a TC wire in the first place really. I've got a Panzer but I don't use it in TC. I do however use a lot of SS in wattage mode and the resistance will fluctuate slightly.
As I'm a bit out of touch with TC let me tag a couple of folk who will be far better qualified to help you out [emoji4]
@Tubbyengineer @Mr Numpty @danb
All these gents know their TC onions.

Claptons are more likely to be prone to resistance fluctuations in TC than single wire coils - it's inherent in the design - however I have noticed an increasing lack of stability with my DNA's over the last few weeks - I think it's mostly to do with local temperature fluctuations (Ambient room temperature) as I tend to get fairly obvious changes when moving from house to car, or when leaving a mod in the car for an hour or two. The DNA boards measure room temperature (More precisely the temperature inside the mods case) and use this as part of the TC calculations. The problem seems to be that the coil is cooling much differently to the mod and this causes problems. I'm trying to pin down the exact problem as I've also noticed an Issue with Titanium Temp settings (I now have to set titanium at 490f to get the vape I want as opposed to the 430f or so I used to vape it at). My first suggestion would be to switch to another mod for a couple of hours while you run the atomiser analyser in Escribe - let the mod cool to room temperature and run the analyser for a while to establish a baseline reading, then fire the mod for a while to get the atty good and warm and pop it back on the analyser and watch how it cools - it might lead you in the right direction or it might be a waste of time - but if you get a stable cool baseline and then watch the mod cool down and see if it returns to baseline on the analyser it will show you whether you've got some kind of thermal issue or whether it's the aforementioned Ambient temp issues (You'll need to keep the mod in one place away from draughts and room temperature changes as you are looking to establish mod or enviroment).

@danb - any help you can give would be welcome too...

Hi guys,

Now the issue is that if I leave the mod alone for say ten minutes the resistance reading changes to around 0.3 and therefore changes the vape.

370F is a pretty cold setting, suggesting that 0.4 ohm is not the correct resistance at room temp. Most people vape in the 400-500F range. Let it drop to 0.3 and calibrate, and just turn up your temp.

I'm getting EXACTLY the same issue with ALL of my DNA's as @Tubbyengineer has mentionedI t's definitely the effects of changing ambient temps with mine though.

My mods (with atties on top) sit on a table right next to a radiator, but they're also next to a window that's cracked open for ventilation. Some days when there is a slight draft coming in over the mods, the cycle of the mods and tanks/atties being warmed from a radiator on full blast and a cool draft when the radiator is off is causing some fairly significant swings. I put two of them in an area in my house where the ambient temperature is much more stable and voila, everything normalized after an hour or so :). It's been driving me mad as I use TC on ALL of my DNA's and it took me a while before I realised what was going on lol.

Ordinarily I don't use the lock Ohms feature on my DNA's unless I've got a pain in the arse coil with resistance that's jumping all over the place which is pretty rare. Mods and atties with Nickel or NiFe don't seem to be as badly affected so I've just been offsetting on the fly. Mods and atties with SS however have been a PITFA and locking the Ohms seems to help this particular problem. Leave mod and atty in an area for temps to stabilise for a while and try locking Ohms, see if that helps @Chadders :).

I set all of my DNA's to temp dominant for convenience and I'm so used to adjusting on the fly I quickly adjust without thinking about it. It's not exactly ideal circumstances lol. In a perfect world I'd keep the mods somewhere where the ambient temperature was more stable and problem solved, but they're kept where they are for a good reason and keeping them elsewhere would be a royal pain lo! ;). Roll on Spring/Summer :D.

Interesting to read about the effects of fluctuating ambient temperatures on resistance. Now that I have time to explore a few more sides of vaping with TC being next on the list, if I set up a mod & attie , allow it to settle in a warm room and then trot off to do something outside in a much cooler environment, does this mean I'll experience issues, or does the DNA (and YiHi for that matter) automatically compensate for that change?

370F is a pretty cold setting, suggesting that 0.4 ohm is not the correct resistance at room temp. Most people vape in the 400-500F range. Let it drop to 0.3 and calibrate, and just turn up your temp.
Have you been experiencing any trouble with Ti builds lately?, I've had to crank up the temp on my Ti builds by about 60f, temp sits stable once I've compensated and resistance is stable - NiFe30 builds vape as normal at my normal 435f. I'm loathe to say it but I'm beginning to think it's the wire I'm using, It's from a very reputable vendor so I won't mention names until I'm sure I've tracked the problem down and / or consulted with the vendor, I think the alloy they're using may have changed and therefore the TCR is out causing it to vape cooler...

Have you been experiencing any trouble with Ti builds lately?, I've had to crank up the temp on my Ti builds by about 60f, temp sits stable once I've compensated and resistance is stable - NiFe30 builds vape as normal at my normal 435f. I'm loathe to say it but I'm beginning to think it's the wire I'm using, It's from a very reputable vendor so I won't mention names until I'm sure I've tracked the problem down and / or consulted with the vendor, I think the alloy they're using may have changed and therefore the TCR is out causing it to vape cooler...

It's odd you should comment on this mate.

After upgrading all of my DNA's to SP5, I've noticed them ALL behaving slightly under par for all of my TC wires. I'm having to increase TC more than I have ever had to with previous updates for SS, Ni and NiFe. I thought it may have had something to do with changing ambient temps of the mods themselves, so I've seen to it that the mods are in an area of stable ambient temp and I'm still getting the same problems.

I raised a ticket about it with Evolv about a week after the upgrade explaining everything I was seeing and asked them to send me SP3 so I can roll back as I was getting a better vape before upgrading to SP5. They sent me the SP3 firmware and have asked me to provide any further information I possibly can. From some of the questions they were asking me, I got the impression that there is something in SP5 that's affecting the proper operation of TC!!

Have you noticed this issue since upgrading with different wires or is it still just with Ti for you please? Were you able to definitively rule out changing ambient temps of your DNA's isn't a factor as well??

Something definitely isn't quite the same with SP5 if I switch between SP3 and SP5. It's almost as if the known issue of the DNA's not handling SS very well in earlier versions is now applicable to all wires!! Most odd!!

Back
Top Bottom