What's new

317L SS wire and DNA 200

vinnygee

I recently received some 317L SS wire to try on my DNA200 and built a couple of builds on my OBS Crius V3.
First build was dual coil, 10 wraps, 3mm ID using 26 gauge wire which was pretty good.
I just built my second build of 12 wraps, 2.5 ID, 26 gauge and it is amazing!
The build comes to .37 ohms, vaping at 35 watts at 480F and it's the best vape i've experienced so far.
Initially the ohms were jumping and temp control wasn't kicking in so I tightened the grub screws and it settled down to a consistent .37ohms and temp control kicked in...wow! what a difference. Smooth, consistent vape, lots of flavour, great vapour production.

Based on my experience with this wire and DNA200 I suggest:

1. Make sure your contacts are clean and tight
2. Keep the coils close to the airflow hole
3. I found 2.5 ID better the 3 ID using 26 gauge but this could be due to wicking, distance of coil from airflow and wraps
4. I used contact coils. Before wicking I glowed the coils just a little to make sure they were glowing inside to outside, glowing evenly (dual coils) and no hot legs. To achieve this there was minimal tweaking required, just compressed a little with my ceramic tweezer and a strum got them bang on.
5. Used the csv profile for SS317L/Haywire from steam engine

Interested to hear others experiences with SS wire. I've only tried 317L in 26 gauge and it does everything better than the wires i've tried so far (kanthal, ni200 and titanium). Better temp control, better flavour, dry burning (although I don't recommend, not sure its completely safe so do your own research), use in non temp control mode...
Share your experiences!

Thanks for sharing your experience, I've been looking for some pointers on peoples experience with builds etc but struggled to find anything specific. I ordered some 24 and 26 gauge SS 317L from vape-atomizer-mesh.com (which is a really reasonably priced site), and I am awaiting my first DNA200 to arrive so I will certainly skip the experimenting and go straight to the 12 wrap like you suggested. Glad to hear the steam engine CSV file worked because I've heard reports elsewhere which say that it doesn't, I suspect the wire they received vs the wire they ordered are different if you're getting good results.

Thanks!

I use 28awg 316L SS from UD on my aromamizer - 13 wraps dual spaced coils around 2.5mm usually around 0.65-0.67ohm firing at 50watts and limiting it to 280C - locking the resistance on the mod - works a treat but you are correct, make sure the connection is tight - lazy as I am I use Daniels (DJLSBvapes) profiles form his site http://www.djlsbvapes.com/dna200/

with regards to TCR you definitely need to set it - I have also found that for some it does make sense to reduce the overall preheat from the default to 150watts and or decreasing the time as well ... there is definitely some fiddling around time required to get it right but so far with the same profile and same build works every time

Nice one thanks, sounds like similar sorts of findings. I downloaded the settings from the wismec site which they recommend, but I think I'll just run a case analyser anyway, I'm sure the temperature here on the Isle of Man compared to China will have some effect on the figures! Bookmarked the site for reference if I run into issues, nice one!

Got some 26g 317L today, just created a new a thread about target ohms for it as I'm not getting great results so far. I've gone for 2.5mm contact coils and also glowed them. Getting 0.37 on a dual coil setup, but I'm probably expecting similar settings to what I'd use on Nickel or Titanium and it's not good. I'm pusing between 40-55 watts and have tried 230 to 270c and nothing is producing great flavour or vapour yet. I might rewick it later and see if it's too tight or something, but I have a similar build but 3mm in an RDA and that's similarly unimpressive so far.

Got some 26g 317L today, just created a new a thread about target ohms for it as I'm not getting great results so far. I've gone for 2.5mm contact coils and also glowed them. Getting 0.37 on a dual coil setup, but I'm probably expecting similar settings to what I'd use on Nickel or Titanium and it's not good. I'm pusing between 40-55 watts and have tried 230 to 270c and nothing is producing great flavour or vapour yet. I might rewick it later and see if it's too tight or something, but I have a similar build but 3mm in an RDA and that's similarly unimpressive so far.
I found that contact coils for SS don't perform well - hence I do spaced coils - also have a play with your settings the DNA 200 default preheat is at 200watts which might push your coil to hard when firing and last do you use the right tcr value as 317L is different to 316L check the link I posted in the earlier post to confirm

I received my 316L yesterday, built a dual coil 11 wrap to test out. I used the 316L curve from steam engine and when I checked the device monitor it was all over the place! No consistent temp or wattage at all. I'll try the spaced coils later today and see if I get better results. I'll maybe try less wraps to try and help with the consistency of the temperature.

Thanks! It sat at around 0.34 but I'll try a single coil as well just to get a feel with the higher resistance!

Back
Top Bottom