What's new

To squonk or not to squonk?

Vlad

Initiate
Been vaping for 2 months now and it's been transformative. Kicked a 30 year cig habit and I look and feel better in every way. I'll never go back to the cigs. For the 1st time in my life I don't miss them at all.

I'd like to upgrade my OBS Cube mod and Freemax tank (I hate the freemax's flaky topfill) and was plannjng on getting a higher end sub kit with removables.

Then I spent this weekend researching coil making, RDAs, squonks and watching shit loads of YouTube vids on these subjects. I'm starting to think going the regulated squonk/RDA route is a bit of a no-brainer rather than 'investing' in for example a Voopoo D2 or a Crown 4. The Basium looks to be my preference going by reviews, with the dual Topside a close second.

Before I pull the trigger, am I right in thinking squonks are perfectly accessible even for a relative newbie such as myself?

Can’t help with what to choose as your style of vaping is different to mine but it’s very simple and easy to squonk

Before I pull the trigger, am I right in thinking squonks are perfectly accessible even for a relative newbie such as myself?

They are, however it's quite different to using a tank especially if you aren't already used to using RDA's. I don't think I could ever use one as my main set up, but plenty of people do. It's something you need to try really.

I use squonks as my main setups, but I learned how to use rebuildables first.

As a suggestion, why not get an RDA to practice on to see how you get on, and if it's an RDA that's supplied with both a standard 510 pin and a squonking 510 pin (also called a BF pin) then you can convert it for squonking if you decide to continue down that route.

Vlad, don't know if it would interest you. But Smoant do the Battlestar Squonker kit, it's cheap and from a decent manufacturer.

But order from fasttech if you want the cheapest option.

Done some further reading and discovered that the RDA included with the Battlestar Squonker isn't that impressive, but it'll get you started.

Can anyone recommend some good Squonkable RDA's please?

I use a wee mech squonker and single coil atty as my day to day vape and it suits me to a tee, but it doesn't suit everyone. Squonking has never been more accessible - there's a plethora of mods and attys to suit all styles of vaping available nowadays.

Basium is a very decent mod, I had one last summer for a few months and really enjoyed it - given the choice today though and it'd be the Topside dual purely for the super easy fill system and 10ml capacity. They both basically have the same chip, so it's essentially different clothes and the choice of a fiddly to fill 6ml capacity, or a very easy 10ml capacity?

I'd also recommend getting a single coil RDA to begin with - learn to build and wick on a single coil until you you get used to it/become proficient at it; there's plenty of good cheap single coil RDAs on the market from tight mouth to lung, to pretty airy lung hitters. Move on to a dual coiler when you're ready - dual coils are a bit more tricky to set up and get firing evenly, your coils need to be identical which can be tricky if you're just starting out wrapping your own. Also dual coils halves the resistance of your build, which you need to be aware of (and so on depending how many coils you fit in atty - three coils fitted and your resistance will be a third of a single coil, four coils will be a quarter etc) no big deal on a regulated device, but it can have a major impact on battery life and liquid consumption when what you thought was going to be a 0.5 ohm build is actually 0.25 and you need to crank the wattage for a decent vape.

You really need to do the hard miles with rebuildables, aye there are shortcuts you can take like buying pre-made coils (I buy them now as I like chunky coils that are a PITA to make) but fitting, bedding in, and wicking are things that only improve with experience - also some people are more adept than others with things like this and I wouldn't dare be presumptuous as to your abilities, but if you can wire a plug you'll be fine, your just wiring a smaller plug!

There are lots to choose from, single coil, dual coil etc. I'd recommend you start your own thread on the subject :)

John R, was just thinking for OP.

As pretty much every Squonker that you can buy, doesn't usually come with an RDA with Squonk pin.

I was a late squonker, but since I squonked I now squonk most of the time and prefer it to tanking.

Back
Top Bottom