What's new

Squonking on a mesh rda

Think the wicking on this and the Ceto is going to be challenging.
In other words, fun ... ;)

I can't recommend Vic's YouTube review of this little baby for wicking and juicing advice.

I watched the RipTripper review, wicked it up with Cotton Bacon and got a dry hit - re-juiced and got a hot spot on the coil - bleuchh !

But Vic has all the answers :)

Use a muji (or similar) pad, peel off the outer layers and trim about 1/8 off the side. Roll it up and feed it through the mesh - it will try to un-roll itself hence filling the mesh really nicely.

the second tip is on juicing her up, drip directly onto the mesh, pulse and repeat until the juice starts showing on the ends of the cotton.

Works like a bloody charm :)

He doesn't run it in TC mode though, i'm using RipTrippers settings for that : 470F 100W

I can't recommend Vic's YouTube review of this little baby for wicking and juicing advice.

I watched the RipTripper review, wicked it up with Cotton Bacon and got a dry hit - re-juiced and got a hot spot on the coil - bleuchh !

But Vic has all the answers :)

Use a muji (or similar) pad, peel off the outer layers and trim about 1/8 off the side. Roll it up and feed it through the mesh - it will try to un-roll itself hence filling the mesh really nicely.

the second tip is on juicing her up, drip directly onto the mesh, pulse and repeat until the juice starts showing on the ends of the cotton.

Works like a bloody charm :)

He doesn't run it in TC mode though, i'm using RipTrippers settings for that : 470F 100W

Vic wasn't squonking though, was he?
Are you squonking and able to saturate the cotton just by squonking?

Squonking on the VV Mesh RDA.
Went with kanthal mesh, snipped off about 7mm, comes in at 0.23ohm.
Used a full Muji pad (smaller pad, 60x50), just rolled it, one end of mesh in place and wrap the mesh around the cotton, then secure the loose end of the mesh.
Trimmed cotton, saturated it and then, once started, bottom feeding with top AFC cap off to make sure cotton gets wet through.
Very airey, too airey. Ended up using 510 adapter and airflow at 50%. 65W.
Cotton and mesh should be broken in now but flavour is not the best on a juice I'm very familiar with.
Atty gets hotter than I prefer as in the mod heats up - not dangerously but mod to me shouldn't get warm.
Cheap materials in the atty. As using a smaller mesh loop will lower resistance so will need more power, the answer should be to have made it 28 to 30mm or maybe with a PEI gasket.
Will carry on experimenting with different metals and sizes and meshing/coiling.
Dual mesh strips might work. Clamps should accommodate large flat coils or two or even three small coils.
Only had one dry hit (no big deal) until I realised I should squonk it in the same way I squonk with the Death Trap which always has a large single coil with tons of cotton.
With a lot of cotton you have to fill it up with cap off to ensure it's saturated then you're good to go with occasional squeezes but every so often make sure you take a look at the cotton and saturate it.
No leaks so far.

Not pretty but it works:

FV-50619 mesh build.jpg

2017-09-08 mesh build.jpg

Vic wasn't squonking though, was he?
Are you squonking and able to saturate the cotton just by squonking?

I've been dripping it, and still struggling to keep the cotton fed - the juice from the tails isn't feeding in. I may need some better quality cotton pads.

I've been dripping it, and still struggling to keep the cotton fed - the juice from the tails isn't feeding in. I may need some better quality cotton pads.
My first build worked really well but not been able to replicate it. Have tried various different lengths of cotton. Thinking of trying a narrower strip of mesh next.

Had anyone tried the atty with normal coils to see if that gives the same result or if it just happens with mesh?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Planet of the Vapes Forum mobile app

Yes. Tried with a big single coil that works very well in the Pharaoh RDA but flavour not there. That was normal wicking too. As Rawhead points out in other thread with mesh lack of flavour could be using too much tightly packed cotton but with coils that shouldn't be an issue. Hmm ...

I just got my mesh rda through the door today. Set up using ss316 mesh vandy Vape supply. Saturated the cotton and gave it a blast. Good vapour and decent taste though the rda itself heats up quite a bit.

Does anyone else find this? Any ideas on how to stop this?

I just got my mesh rda through the door today. Set up using ss316 mesh vandy Vape supply. Saturated the cotton and gave it a blast. Good vapour and decent taste though the rda itself heats up quite a bit.

Does anyone else find this? Any ideas on how to stop this?

Did you trim the length of mesh mate ? If you used a full length strip the top of the arch may be a bit close to the top of the attie.

Did you trim the length of mesh mate ? If you used a full length strip the top of the arch may be a bit close to the top of the attie.

Yeah i trimmed it about 7-8 mm and had to trim it to length ways too. the wraps vandyvape sent are too wide for the slots. The top of the arch is sitting just above the air holes on either side. Could it be the settings or wick??

Back
Top Bottom