What's new

Pulse Squonker weak hitting

I've not had an issue with my pulse but this thread prompted me to test it. Not with equipment, I don't have any, but I vaped the pulse mod/pulse 24 combo and then swapped the pulse 24 and ijoy 20700 onto my copper hybrid 11:11 mod and back again. There was not a significant noticeable difference in the vape. Whatever issue some people are having is not apparent with mine.
Maybe the quality control is at fault then? I guess the only way to tell would be for someone with both a Pulse and another well known hard hitter to take readings and post them.

I have 2 pulse squonkers and can’t say I’ve noticed any issues, I use fogstar 20700’s and Samsung 25r’s as my back ups and it bugs me that you get a better vape from your 18650’s as mine is the polar opposite.

I have dabbled in using different coils such as fancy fused Clapton’s and ni80 aliens but even though the resistance comes to around the 0.15 they take an age to ramp up due to the amount of wire and surface area.

I stick to a simple dual ss316 24g 3mm id 6 wrap and the ramp up and cool down is instant.

Maybe try a more basic build bud and see if it still does the same?

Athena is really decent if your happy with 18650s it hits great and is safe and easy to clean, generally well made.

Hugo squeezer also worth a look, takes both 18650 and 20700 has silver plated contacts , locking switch and comes with some really decent extras.

Both are around £20 each.

I'd take either of the above rather than the clones you mentioned, someone on this forum has his battery vent on the Armageddon clone, and I had a Phantohm clone similar to the thirteen and everytime I pressed the bottle the door fell off lol then after a week the 510 pin broke off ...not worth it.

I've seen the Hugo squeezer mentioned quite a lot, I wasn't aware that it took both 18650 and 20700 though, I'll have to have a look into it. Hmm, I suppose you get what you pay for and the reason they're cheap is because they're not up to spec.

I've not had an issue with my pulse but this thread prompted me to test it. Not with equipment, I don't have any, but I vaped the pulse mod/pulse 24 combo and then swapped the pulse 24 and ijoy 20700 onto my copper hybrid 11:11 mod and back again. There was not a significant noticeable difference in the vape. Whatever issue some people are having is not apparent with mine.

That's very interesting, I can tell a noticeable difference between 18650 and 20700 batteries. 18650 seems to ramp quicker than the 20700 but sags quite quickly, whereas the 20700 doesn't appear to drop off.

Coils are not just about resistance, there's also the amount of metal you want to heat up.

Any mech is going to struggle with dual heavyweight coils, so firstly abandon the SS - the low resistance means SS coils have to be twice the size of Kanthal coils at the same resistance.

If you want dual coils use either single strand 0.4mm N80 or Kanthal at around 0.15 to 0.2 ohms.

Whatever you decide to go for, keep the size of the coils to a minimum.

Thanks for the advice. I do find it confusing though that someone one a Facebook group I'm a part of is running dual Ni90 aliens, 5 wraps at 3mm ID and his ramps instantly and produces huge clouds. He barely holds the fire button in as well so I have no idea how he's managing it.

Maybe the quality control is at fault then? I guess the only way to tell would be for someone with both a Pulse and another well known hard hitter to take readings and post them.

I did a test with my pulse and my friends athena. Here are the results:

Ijoy 20700 - 4.139v
Sony Vtc5a - 4.098v

Pulse with 20700 at 510 - 3.989v
Pulse with vtc5a at 510 - 3.875v

Athena with vtc5a at 510 - 4.094v

To me that shows that the plated copper contacts in the athena are better than the plain copper in the pulse, but not by a huge amount.

I have 2 pulse squonkers and can’t say I’ve noticed any issues, I use fogstar 20700’s and Samsung 25r’s as my back ups and it bugs me that you get a better vape from your 18650’s as mine is the polar opposite.

I have dabbled in using different coils such as fancy fused Clapton’s and ni80 aliens but even though the resistance comes to around the 0.15 they take an age to ramp up due to the amount of wire and surface area.

I stick to a simple dual ss316 24g 3mm id 6 wrap and the ramp up and cool down is instant.

Maybe try a more basic build bud and see if it still does the same?

I've got a 22g kanthal A1 build in it at the minute, 7 wraps at 3mm ID and it's not too bad, still isn't what I would have expected from a mech if I'm honest, especially when I see some people running crazy dual 19g or 20g flat wire builds and they produce an insane amount of vapour.

The result for the Athena is mind blowing. 0.004v difference!?

BTW, what were you using to measure that accurately to a thousandth of a volt?

I was exceptionally surprised and checked and rechecked several times but it kept producing the same result.

At work we've got a fluke 179 multimeter and it measures with + or - 0.09% accuracy up to 1000v so it's a very tasty piece of equipment.

I've seen the Hugo squeezer mentioned quite a lot, I wasn't aware that it took both 18650 and 20700 though, I'll have to have a look into it. Hmm, I suppose you get what you pay for and the reason they're cheap is because they're not up to spec.

That's very interesting, I can tell a noticeable difference between 18650 and 20700 batteries. 18650 seems to ramp quicker than the 20700 but sags quite quickly, whereas the 20700 doesn't appear to drop off.

Thanks for the advice. I do find it confusing though that someone one a Facebook group I'm a part of is running dual Ni90 aliens, 5 wraps at 3mm ID and his ramps instantly and produces huge clouds. He barely holds the fire button in as well so I have no idea how he's managing it.

I did a test with my pulse and my friends athena. Here are the results:

Ijoy 20700 - 4.139v
Sony Vtc5a - 4.098v

Pulse with 20700 at 510 - 3.989v
Pulse with vtc5a at 510 - 3.875v

Athena with vtc5a at 510 - 4.094v

To me that shows that the plated copper contacts in the athena are better than the plain copper in the pulse, but not by a huge amount.

I've got a 22g kanthal A1 build in it at the minute, 7 wraps at 3mm ID and it's not too bad, still isn't what I would have expected from a mech if I'm honest, especially when I see some people running crazy dual 19g or 20g flat wire builds and they produce an insane amount of vapour.
The unequal drop when using the 20700 in the pulse is a puzzle. It drops significantly more than the sony 18650. The extra pressure application due to the size of the 20700 against the 18650 using an adapter with what can only be a base that should cause more resistance should only lead to the 18650's flooding more power. Very odd indeed.

I can only find clones in the UK, but they're both through bold vapes and I know the owner researches every company who can offer them extensively. Obviously a clone is still a clone though.

I haven't really looked into many other squonkers, but I do like the look of the athena...
These are exceptional value if you want a new fully working, hard hitting no arcing mech squonker, they also come equipped with a silicone bottlehttps://www.2fdeal.com/s-rabbit-style-18650-squonk-box-mod-w-8ml-bottle-blue_p3109.html

20171120_185548.jpg
IMG_20171030_203645_192.jpg

Mine hits hard af. I'd recommend using n80 and a large diameter single coil 3 to 4 mm.

Back
Top Bottom