What's new

Getting the best from a mech' squonker.

jacinabox

Postman
Now that I've actually got time to myself I thought I'd have a play with recently acquired Rockmodz Stab wood squonker...I don't seem to be doing too well!

I've got a few attie's with BF capability - Goon, I really enjoy this on a regulated squonker but It's a little too big for the Rockmodz, but it works, sort off! A Sapor and a NarDa are available too.

I've built the tanks with single and dual coil builds ranging from 0.32 to 0.45 ohms, Kanthal 26awg and Ni80 26awg - the vape is very "soft", not a huge amount of flavour nor clouds. It seems to take a while to ramp up as well.

My batteries are good, Fogstar sourced Samsung 25r, fully charged and bought recently. The Rockmodz battery contact points are clean.
I'm inexperienced with mech's beyond a Noisy Cricket which was pretty violent in comparison to my other mods! But I had expected the Rockmodz to be a little less "lazy" than it seems.

Are my builds too high in ohm value? If yes, and that's the only area that I think could be causing the disappointment, what suggestions could you make please.

HNY to you all :)

Depends on the vape you want really , for me on a single 18650 or parallel mech 0.32 to 0.45 is way too high for how I like to vape , on my Svapiamo single 18650 mech I have a 22mm Goon with a 22AWG Ni80 build in ( IIRC it's 7 wraps 3mm ID comes out to about .16 dual coil )

Is the Rockmodz a single 18650 ? I'm not familiar with them

Depends on what kindae vape experience you are after chief.
I'd bin the kanthal for starters, not much use in mechs.
The Nichrome should be giving you food tooting fun, I have 0.4mm in my Sapor and it is fine and dandy.
But, in my squonk atties I use either 0.5mm Steel or Nichrome, 7 wraps, 0.18 ohms. Seems to hit the spot for me when squeezing my thing.
You might also want a look-see for flattened Nichrome, I use it in my tube mechs and it is most satisfying.
So if you want mid sized tasty cloudz, go with thick 316l ss. Or for slightly more sedate tasty toot time go with 0.5 mm Nichrome or flattened Nichrome.

i use ss wire in my mech squonkers around the 0.5 ohm range and i get loads of clouds ands nice flavour from them and there all single coil

Thank you all for your thoughts...as I thought (and hoped) my builds are too high.

What puzzles me though - if I put those attie's on a tube mech, single 18650 as is the Rockmodz, they work far better than when fitted to the Rockmodz. Both being mech's I'd have thought I'd get similar results?

What sort of vape am I looking for? I started squonking with a Steamcrave regulated mod and using similar builds with same atties, I got lots of flavour and clouds, it was enough to keep me satisfied especially with the Goon. It just ain't working with the Rockmodz <sniff>

Never mind, I think I've got some stainless wire, so I'll give that a go with some lower ohm builds and see what happens.

The flat NiCr, I had in the past considered buying some, not just for this application, what size should I be looking for and where to buy...I usually buy from Stealthvape, I assume Rob will have it?

Again, your advice is appreciated :)

First thing to check is that you're getting the full output at the 510 - pop a meter on the 510 and just check the voltage out - sounds like you've got high internal resistance - possibly the switch, but since i'm not familiar with the device...
Other thing to check for is the centre pin on the mod - some of them are manually adjustable, if yours is manual it may need raising a fraction to give better contact...

First thing to check is that you're getting the full output at the 510 - pop a meter on the 510 and just check the voltage out - sounds like you've got high internal resistance - possibly the switch....

That's exactly what I was thinking when you posted - but didn't want to!

First set of readings - battery not fully topped up, but that didn't matter.
Battery voltage= 4.06v
Voltage at 510 =3.62v That's too big a loss?

Switch is bonded into the resin on the mod and appears to be a sealed unit - none the less, a squirt with contact cleaner around the fire button and a bit of working there was some slightly dark residue to be mopped up.
The wiring connections to the 510 were gunked up with old juice - more cleaner and a cotton bud had it looking better but not perfect. When I've a little more time I'll do a better in depth clean-up.

Next set of readings are much better, battery still at 4,06v with 4.05v at 510....much, much better!

Fitted an attie with original Kanthal builds and it's certainly improved. Not how I'd just like it, but I'll get a SS build with a lower ohm value and I feel sure I'll be on my way to squonking nirvana!

Again, thank you for your contributions :)

My Rockmodz stab has a hadaly on it and never more than 0.2 ohms... Currently at about 0.18 single Nichrome in alien format and it rips flavour but clouds are not "goon esque" style as the Hadaly doesnt do that..
You have a 22mm 510 on the Rockmodz squonk so a 24mm goon will not be cosmetically a looker TBH...If your looking for somthing with dual coil and 22mm for extra cloud then look at the hobo 3.1 or the drifter..Another one which I like is the Malstrom.. 22mm and dual coil capeabilities its a good balance of cloud and flavour but remember your single cell 18650 so a nominal voltage of 3.7 and build accordingly... (4.2v fully charged down to average about 3.5ish when you swap your cell)

You have a 22mm 510 on the Rockmodz squonk so a 24mm goon will not be cosmetically a looker TBH...If your looking for somthing with dual coil and 22mm for extra cloud then look at the hobo 3.1 or the drifter..Another one which I like is the Malstrom.. 22mm and dual coil capeabilities its a good balance of cloud and flavour but remember your single cell 18650 so a nominal voltage of 3.7 and build accordingly... (4.2v fully charged down to average about 3.5ish when you swap your cell)

Aye you're right, the Goon doesn't sit comfortably on the Rockmodz. I had thought to source a 24mm 510, there's room on the top plate for it - and I'd only do it because of my love for the Goon!

Mech's are a step into the unkown for me, I've not really got on with any of the mechs I have, but I couldn't resist the Rockmodz when it became available...impulse purchase's eh?!
I'll give it a good go before deciding if it's a keeper. It looks pretty, a bit of thought put into builds is needed which will help as will a softer bottle, the one I have is in danger of breaking a finger its that inflexible.

A bit more care with atty selection looks a good idea too...the Malstrom comes with the Halcyon doesn't it?!;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom