What's new

Coil builds for regulated dual 1850 squonk (single coil & dual coil setups)

ohmy

Hey gang, what do you use and/or recommend for building on a dual 18350 squonk mod such as the topside dual?

I've been using my standard fused staggered claptons (2 x 28 AWG ni80 w/ 36 AWG wrap core, fused with 36 AWG ni80... 7 wraps, 3 inner)

the taste is okay, but not as good as I feel should be expected. have tried those in dual coil setup and single coil (using the pulse v2 for single, drop & dead rabbit for dual coils)

I've tried 2x26awg SS316L core w/ 40 AWG SS316L claptons too and they tasted the same to me

DGAF about clouds, just flavour. I DIY juice, so it's less sweet and since I'm new to all this it tastes meh anyway compared to commercial

I've googled around, but the info seems outdated for modern squonking (a lot of recommendations for 6 wrap plain ole kanthal wire... unless there's a reason to use kanthal for squonking that I'm missing? lol)

do "exotic" coils really matter for squonking anyway? unless you drip a couple drops on your coils, it's only the cotton gettign wet, right?

edit:
I forgot to ask, I have a therion bf 75c too, what sort of single coil build is optimal for a single battery 18350?

Flat Ni80 (Brochrome) is a good wire. Surface area of 2 core claptons & quicker ramp up & great for flavour. By the way, sure your batteries are 18650 not 18350 ;).

After trying many RDA's on my Topside Dual the winner is the Ijoy Squonk RDTA for flavour (not to be confused with the SRDA), but a close 2nd is the Drop Solo single coil.

Simple Ni80 fused claptons work nicely, I am still using the included coils which have lasted a ridiculously long time :)

That said I have 2 Topsides, the other I use in Temp control with the Geek Vape Athena RDA and SS316L plain wire and is my preferred setup.

The coils you are using sound fine to me, though your RDA's aren't the best for flavour unless you drip them, I have the Drop & Dead Rabbit but getting rid of them, the Pulse 2 had meh reviews so didn't waste my money.

The Drop in TC mode is about the best you've currently got but you will need some SS316L wire (26 AWG).
Flavour will be similar but no dry hits.

As for exotic coils, I've found no benefit over Ni80 Fused Clapton, in fact the opposite as most need more ramp up time.

If you favour flavour over clouds, then get an atty with a smaller chamber.

A Hadaly is best for flavour, but easy to oversquonk. It's a 22mm atty.

The Oumier Wasp Nano is a great little atty for squonking. It's also 22mm.

The Wismec Tobhino is also pretty damned great, is 22mm but comes with a nice beauty ring so it looks good on a mod made to accept larger atties.

These are all single coil atties with a small chamber.

As for build, flatwire is a good compromise between simple round wire and complex coils. 24 gauge Nichrome Flatwire (called "brochrome" on the Stealth vape website), 6 or 7 wraps, 0.45 - 0.5 ohms, around 30 watts or so.

Great flavour, almost instant ramp up, good battery life.

My preference for some time has been a vapefly pixie with 6 or 7 wraps of brochrome

Simple, straightforward, rapid hit, full flavour, decent cloud. I use cotton god cotton.

As for build, flatwire is a good compromise between simple round wire and complex coils. 24 gauge Nichrome Flatwire (called "brochrome" on the Stealth vape website), 6 or 7 wraps, 0.45 - 0.5 ohms, around 30 watts or so.

Great flavour, almost instant ramp up, good battery life.

Thanks for the tip. I've been looking for something with a bit more oomph than round wire but will still allow me to go above 0.5 ohms. I've ordered some 25 gauge from the wire mesh company.

I have a dead rabbit on my topside dual. Framed stapled claptons n80, 5 wraps around a 1/4" stereo jack. .65ohms
1565202116819.jpeg

Maybe slightly off the subject ..

I use SS316L mesh @ 0.15ohm in a wotofo profile running at 80w TC at 225 Centigrade ... the flavour is always awesome and at 225 centigrade no horrible dry mesh hits when you forget to squonk.

That said I also love the dead rabbit, but like you finding it hard to get a good responsive coil setup. ATM I have Alien V2 30mm coil six wraps, 2 coils coming in at 0.14ohms, this gives a good hit but ramp-up is horrible ... so I will be watching this thread as well. ;)

Back
Top Bottom