What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Ah well, in for a penny, in for a pound.

Rob

Administrator
Staff member
Sometimes....... actually, increasingly often these days, I find myself doing some frankly DAFT things. :) Today will be one such.
To give you the back ground................
Recently I have been helping out a fellow Ape by building various Mesh Wicked devices for him as he had forgotten how having moved to other things in the last year or so. He sent me a NextEra Clone, which I admit caused absolutely no concerns as I myself run one all the time.

WRONG!!!! What a basket case this particular one was!! I should have known......... As soon as I saw the rather large cut out in the Positive Post which is "supposed" to be a Wire Trap. No Way was this EVER going to work, especially as it came with a very short screw which would never trap a wire!!! Gave up on that method of build, tried various others and all that happened was that the ohms were jumping like crazy. Obviously a faulty unit.

So now........... Being the fool that I am, I am going to attempt a Mesh Slug Build for him.......... In a Strike Clone!!! Idiotic really as it will be a ridiculously restricted space given that the Strike is an 18mm Chamber. :)

There are times when I really do doubt my sanity!!

More to come no doubt!!!

Sometimes....... actually, increasingly often these days, I find myself doing some frankly DAFT things. :) Today will be one such.
To give you the back ground................
Recently I have been helping out a fellow Ape by building various Mesh Wicked devices for him as he had forgotten how having moved to other things in the last year or so. He sent me a NextEra Clone, which I admit caused absolutely no concerns as I myself run one all the time.

WRONG!!!! What a basket case this particular one was!! I should have known......... As soon as I saw the rather large cut out in the Positive Post which is "supposed" to be a Wire Trap. No Way was this EVER going to work, especially as it came with a very short screw which would never trap a wire!!! Gave up on that method of build, tried various others and all that happened was that the ohms were jumping like crazy. Obviously a faulty unit.

So now........... Being the fool that I am, I am going to attempt a Mesh Slug Build for him.......... In a Strike Clone!!! Idiotic really as it will be a ridiculously restricted space given that the Strike is an 18mm Chamber. :)

There are times when I really do doubt my sanity!!

More to come no doubt!!!
You sir are insane.

I am in awe of anyone confident enough in their mesh building skills to do it for someone else in random devices.
I doubt your sanity too.

I doubt my sanity when I get out a Kraken every year or so just because I did a good build on one once and hold on to the forlorn hope I can reproduce it.

I rarely read about Mesh Wicked devices, these are the genesis tanks correct?
I have not found a very clear description of what they are. I watched a couple of videos and they had blow torches and crimping tools.
I also read that you would not have to rewick for months, is this true? If so, can I buy premade and torched wicks?
It would be fun to try but I don't want to build a workshop just to try it out.

Other tanks I've seen look like they use standard coil and cotton on a raised deck and would need to be rewicked often.

Typically, a "Genesis" style RTA uses a Mesh Wick. This is made from mesh, which is rolled into a tube after considerable preparation, then the coil is wrapped loosely around the Mesh and in a Nutshell, that is how they work.
There are more Mesh RTAs out there these days and designs have moved on greatly from the original Genesis. Possibly the easiest devices to build are the NextGen, Nextiny, Nextasis and NextEra, but don't be fooled when "easiest" is mentioned. They have their quirks and can be the most frustrating things ever.

Yes, a Mesh wick will last for ages. I had one here, which is now out on loan to @Dadaran that had a Mesh wick that was over 12 months old. OK I have re coiled it on a few occasions, but that would only be possibly 3 times in a year!! Dry Burning cleans everything up and if you pay attention to maintenance, they will last for ages.

The rewards are considerable, for anything EXCEPT CUSTARDS, the flavour will pop out in a way that you won't have experienced before. Fruits and Tobaccos absolutely SING in a Genesis style Atty.

They are fiddly, be warned, but to my mind, wonderful. The trouble starts when you get a nutcase such as myself who starts making mesh builds for regular devices. Most I have done thus far have been OK, but this next build will throw new challenges and I am uncertain quite how long it will take. Time (and much of it I imagine) will tell.

Typically, a "Genesis" style RTA uses a Mesh Wick. This is made from mesh, which is rolled into a tube after considerable preparation, then the coil is wrapped loosely around the Mesh and in a Nutshell, that is how they work.
There are more Mesh RTAs out there these days and designs have moved on greatly from the original Genesis. Possibly the easiest devices to build are the NextGen, Nextiny, Nextasis and NextEra, but don't be fooled when "easiest" is mentioned. They have their quirks and can be the most frustrating things ever.

Yes, a Mesh wick will last for ages. I had one here, which is now out on loan to @Dadaran that had a Mesh wick that was over 12 months old. OK I have re coiled it on a few occasions, but that would only be possibly 3 times in a year!! Dry Burning cleans everything up and if you pay attention to maintenance, they will last for ages.

The rewards are considerable, for anything EXCEPT CUSTARDS, the flavour will pop out in a way that you won't have experienced before. Fruits and Tobaccos absolutely SING in a Genesis style Atty.

They are fiddly, be warned, but to my mind, wonderful. The trouble starts when you get a nutcase such as myself who starts making mesh builds for regular devices. Most I have done thus far have been OK, but this next build will throw new challenges and I am uncertain quite how long it will take. Time (and much of it I imagine) will tell.
It took me ages to get even semi competent in the easiest of genny's but it's definitely worth it for tobacco juice.
By christ you know when you get a dry hit. Like having a punch in the lung.

I use a Nextiny at some point everyday, after a couple of tanks I dry burn clean the coil with an old toothbrush under running water, check it's glowing nicely and refill. I do have an Origen using dual mesh wicks and that can be frustrating to get working well but when it works you get a mesh taste that's good for 28 watts or so...

I adore the NextEra for its BF capabilities :) Squonking onto Mesh........... What's not to like?

Back
Top Bottom