What's new

Advice on a potential first Squonk/RDA setup

Flashheart--o--

Postman
Hi guys, I’m looking to venture into the world of Squonking and building my own coils and after doing a lot of reading and researching have put together a plan of what to get to start said journey. I was hoping you may be able to provide some assistance on my current ideas in case I’m potentially missing a trick or biting off more than I can chew...

Firstly I’d prefer a dual battery regulated mod, most info points towards the Dovpo topside duo as one of the best to go for.

In terms of tank, I having been looking at something which has the option of a 1 or 2 coil build (will be looking to build coils to around 0.6 ohm) and prefer flavour over cloud production and have looked more favourably at the drop dead rda but very open to suggestions on this.

Coils and wicking material, I’m currently looking in the direction of fused Clapton coil wire and cotton bacon prime, and of course will be getting an ohm reader and tool kit to go along with it all.

I’m hoping this all sounds good but aware that as it’s all a lot more in-depth than what I’m used to (mtl + sub-ohm tanks, regulated mods) I may be running before I can walk. Before I start throwing cash at this all, could you good apes provide some guidance as to if I’m in the right direction or if it will all end in tears? Any feedback is much appreciated

Sounds good from what you've said I've got 3 squonkers with 3 profile rdas on them running the nexmesh mesh coils with bacon prime and suits me for flavour and ease of wicking others can advise on dual/single coil rdas but yeah squonker I would defo recommend the dovpo got the single myself and will look to get the carbon once the price drops a bit but for me profile RDA is great with squonking I run all mine at about 65w with 3 different juices in rotation, dovpo topside, lost vape drone and Nikola niagara but niagara doesn't seem to be available anywhere anymore

Rage, Topside dual or if the wallet can stretch to it, the Drone 250C. All have plus/minus points. Plus for the Rage is it's cheap & solid as a rock. Minus is weight. The Dual has the biggest bottle & top fill, personally I think it's ugly but I know people love it. The Drone has DNA if TC (a plus for squonking to prevent dry hits), easy to use menu & is light for a dual cell. Downsides are price & creaky door.
Again personally, the Dead Rabbit was a waste. Drop wins over it easily. I'd go for a single coil to start, something like the Drop Solo, Dead Rabbit SQ or even the VV Pulse 22.
You can use the mod as an ohm reader, especially the Drone.
Try Brochrome (flat Ni80) from Stealthvape to get the higher ohm you're looking for. You'll struggle getting 0.6ohm from Claptons unless it's very thin cores. Better aiming for 0.2-.03 ohm. As mentioned the Profile is very good but may put you off vaping altogether if you dry hit it :D.
There's a few good single cell squonkers that may be a good starting point, coupled with a single coil RDA. And cheaper on the pocket ;)

Cheers guys, I do like the sound of getting a single cell mod and single coil rda to start, looking at prices of the ones you’ve mentioned they are all more or less the same so I’ll watch some videos/read some reviews and make a decision. I don’t mind the look of the Dovpo but the rage does look smart (I did look into it briefly before posting but saw the price as more expensive than the drone so discounted it, having looked again I’ve definitely been too hasty there!). Not too worried weight wise but will have a think before making a purchase.

Thanks for the tip on brochrome ni80, if it helps getting the higher ohm reading then sounds like a goer to me .

Appreciate the help, thanks @Cozy and @nwhornet

Cheers guys, I do like the sound of getting a single cell mod and single coil rda to start, looking at prices of the ones you’ve mentioned they are all more or less the same so I’ll watch some videos/read some reviews and make a decision. I don’t mind the look of the Dovpo but the rage does look smart (I did look into it briefly before posting but saw the price as more expensive than the drone so discounted it, having looked again I’ve definitely been too hasty there!). Not too worried weight wise but will have a think before making a purchase.

Thanks for the tip on brochrome ni80, if it helps getting the higher ohm reading then sounds like a goer to me .

The Rage should be the cheapest option, I have seen it around £60. The original Dual is around £90 & the Drone can be had for a little over £100. The newer Dual with the Yihi chip is around £150.

From reading your posts and taking into account what you said I’d say you would be best off going with a single cell squonker and a single coil rda, its much easier to build on a single coil rda, ideal for starting out, something like the topside 90watt with a molicel p42a cell would give you good battery life, if you don’t like the look of the topside, look at the hotcig rsq, it’s only 18650 but 2 batteries should last all day with a 0.6 build, and for an rda something like the d-pro mini, the drop solo is good but if you wanna run at 0.6 resistance you may find you have to close the airflow down a fair bit, to much airflow will kill the flavour, the d-pro mini is 22mm with a small top cap and I find works well with a 0.5 - 0.6 coil, very good flavour from it, for wire would be worth trying some flatwire uk flatsixty, 24 gauge, 7 wraps with 3mm id would give you about 0.6 build on a single coil, super clean wire with absolutely no metallic taste to it....

The Rage should be the cheapest option, I have seen it around £60. The original Dual is around £90 & the Drone can be had for a little over £100. The newer Dual with the Yihi chip is around £150.
Seen the rage in the uk for £20, I know to good to be true right, could I pm you the link to take a look at first and see what you think, don’t wanna be sending members up the garden path...

Seen the rage in the uk for £20, I know to good to be true right, could I pm you the link to take a look at first and see what you think, don’t wanna be sending members up the garden path...
That is cheap. Best I've ever seen it was £40ish but that was a while ago. Still use mine but normally grab one of the Drones or Halcyon for big boy squonking. Also picked up a clone Riviera & I think it's better than the Phenom/Venna.

That is cheap. Best I've ever seen it was £40ish but that was a while ago. Still use mine but normally grab one of the Drones or Halcyon for big boy squonking. Also picked up a clone Riviera & I think it's better than the Phenom/Venna.
Interesting, I think I should take a look at the riviera then, venna is one of my favourite rda’s, and yep for big boy squonking you can’t beat the halcyon, you just can’t get hold of them nowadays...

Interesting, I think I should take a look at the riviera then, venna is one of my favourite rda’s, and yep for big boy squonking you can’t beat the halcyon, you just can’t get hold of them nowadays...
I know. Picked another up in the classies this week, courtesy of @Rob. So I should be set for a while[emoji16]. I got the YFTK version of the Riviera & it's been faultless on the Atto mech. Will stick the bf pin in & chuck it on a Runt maybe cos filling is about fiddly with the small fill hole. At least you can't over squonk an RDTA & you can keep the wicks wet [emoji106]

Back
Top Bottom