What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Why isn't my kayfun wicking quick enough?

Dagger

Achiever
As title guys.
I'm using cotton, not too much not too little, drapes over just touching the deck. 1.5ohm coil on a mech.
Great vape, lots of flavour and vapour but after a few mins it tastes burnt and I have to cover the airhole and do a few prime puffs to soak the cotton again.

Have just re done the coil, same resistance but now I have done a non contact coil to reduce drying out a small portion of the wick, its better but not perfect.

Any ideas folks, its doing my head in!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Planet of the Vapes mobile app

Are you using a particularly thick juice? If not, it could be that the juice channels are slightly blocked or are a bit too shallow.

As title guys.
I'm using cotton, not too much not too little, drapes over just touching the deck. 1.5ohm coil on a mech.
Great vape, lots of flavour and vapour but after a few mins it tastes burnt and I have to cover the airhole and do a few prime puffs to soak the cotton again.

Have just re done the coil, same resistance but now I have done a non contact coil to reduce drying out a small portion of the wick, its better but not perfect.

What's a non contact coil?

I didnt give kayfuns much time shouldnt be posting better folk to give advice but for what its worth I found less is more with tha fun long as I had 1mm of clear no wick material on the outer edge of the deck where the well was all was good.

I am one of the minority that didnt get on with it nothing to do with how good the ati is most likely my time invested and I am not a silica man sold a rose for the same reason, but on the outer edges of the deck where your wells are keep the wick away from my experience.

no doubt some kayfun ledgend will say otherwise and tbh I would listen to them rather than me, good luck.

As title guys.

Tighten the draw - reducing airflow increases the pressure differential resulting in lower pressure in the chamber and higher juice flow rates...

Am on me phone so can't multi quote,
Crumps not particularly, its steamgunk 70 / 30
Motorheaded when I say non contact I mean each wrap of the coil isn't contacting the last, I was using a microcoil originally with no gaps between wraps and thought perhaps it was drying out the cotton too quick due to being hotter than a coil that had gaps between wraps if that makes sense?
roballan yeah I know what you mean, I wicked so it was just touching the deck and have wetted with juice and stuck it against the central part, this has kept it a couple of mm away from the threaded edge
Tubbyengineer this now I'm thinking about it could be my problem, I never had this problem before and now you mention it I did open the draw up recently when I was messing around with taking stupidly big lung hit, I think I'll take your advice and tighten it back up and see how it gets on then

Thanks for the replies guys

How are you filling it? If you fill it too full there is not enough air in it to create the vacuum that is required. If you fill while holding at 45 degree angle, fill until the bottom of the air bubble comes halfway up the clear section, you won't be fast off.

I'm top filling slowly too a couple of mm short of the top chimney whilst finger is over air hole, starting the top, inverting, removing finger and tightening

Wasted words I know, but here goes anyway.
To get the best, most reliable, performance from your Kayfun, with no dry hits,and perfect vapour and flavour,from a full tank until empty, using any juice, from as thick as treacle to as thin as water, ditch the cotton and use simple hand wrapped coils over silica or eko/voodoo.
Also forget the unnecessary precision of 'superglueing' wicks in place with juice.
For a Kayfun to wick and work, all it needs is wick on the deck between the post block and the evaporation chamber. Think beyond that and you make a Kayfun more scientific than it actually is.
As for top filling - if they were meant to be filled this way, why do they have a fill port?
Oh, silly me, I know why they have a filling port. The little o-ring that sits between top cap and chimney is the No1 important seal to prevent leaks and seeps (along with the little film of accumulated e-liquid and the physics of surface tension). The more times that you take off the cap and put it back,the more chances are that sooner or later, you'll screw it back on and unseat that o-ring, leaving you with juice seeping out of the air hole, and another 'problem' to find a solution for. :P

It's up to anybody what they do, of course, and everyone has their preferences, but, going by the never ending posts i see on forums, it seems like there are a lot of folks treating themselves to, what is, one of the easiest devices on the planet to use, and then trying their utmost to make them fail with overcomplicated thinking and advice.

Vacuum? OK right, there's a vacuum? So, why doesn't my Kayfun collapse like a squashed pop bottle as I use it? :yahoo:

Last edited:
Dagger
Thanks for explaining "no contact coil"
You shouldn't need to change coils for wicking issues. I run micro coils at 0.6 ohms with no problem.
Perhaps pictures could help diagnosis. PM them to me, if putting them out there is a problem.
Is it worth doing a silica build to see if the problem remains?
Tubbyengineer Pressure shouldn't be that much of an issue. I have a Lite drilled out @2.5mm and a 3.1es drilled @3mm, both with AF screws removed. No problems.

Sounds like wicking, or maybe an intermittent short, but I would expect other symptoms if that were the case. (Hot button on a mech, fault/non-fire on a regulated)

Back
Top Bottom