What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

What else can cause RDA and Mod to get REALLYYY hot?

ScottishDuck13

Postman
Afternoon folks,

Got my Warrior RDA today, stuck the included Ni80 Juggernauts (3mm) in there (26+36)x2+0.1x0.4 coming out .17ohm in dual.

While pulsing the top of my iJoy captain got REAL hot, I thought it was just cause I'd been pulsing so long cause they took a while to heat even, so i let it cool but when i actually went to vape it (tested 70-100w) it just got super hot like to the point I couldn't touch the RDA and barely touch the top of my mod. The vape itself wasn't that hot, just above warm. i just ripped it out and stuck some Ni80 fused claptons staged with 26ga Kanthal and that is lovely! A little hot but nothing like before,

Got me wondering. I get the same hot issues using things like 3mm Aliens dual in the Drop and other RDAs and I always end up having to tone down the build a little bit. I don't mind I just don't get how people can make these big builds without this issue? The popular pack of 8 Geekvape coils (with 4x 2 different guages of fused claptons) was another one, those coils got put in multiple RDAs and I ended up taking them back out within a couple of hours cause they made everything above my thumb get way too hot.

Am I doing something wrong? I always have wide open airflow, tend to vape between 80-100w but basically anything bigger or more fancy than 2.5mm fused claptons give me this issue after about 5 hits, not chaining. I just don't get how other people do it? :S

For a bit of extra info this was on the Captain PD270 with the iJoy 20700 batteries but I have had this across various mods with different batts.

having the coils too low or even too high can cause this. Also battery strain can heat the mod up. Sometimes i use a heat sync between the RDA and MOD to stop the heat transfering.

having the coils too low or even too high can cause this. Also battery strain can heat the mod up. Sometimes i use a heat sync between the RDA and MOD to stop the heat transfering.

Funnily enough I actually have a pack of atty gaskets on my from FT lol so they might help but Ive not seen anybody else really use them. its more that it feels other people are putting builders bigger than mine into the same hardware and dont seem to get the issue.

Coil positions maybe? Not sure... Height wise i always have them so that they are almost in line with the airflow but maybe the top 10-20% of the coil above the airflow, so it hits the bottom 80% of the coils if that makes sense.

Distance from posts I usually have them so theres an equal gap between the posts and the wall of the topcap, with bigger coils sometimes you dont get much of an option as to have them 2-3mms away from the posts leaves especially the edges of the coils very close to the topcap but again thats my question, how are other people not getting this. These were the provided coils with the RDA, not even some crazy ones I built myself :S

Heat will transfer from coils to posts, to deck & then through 510 to the mod. Plus mod generating heat means lots of build up & no way to quickly dissipate that heat. Heat syncs help as increased surface area allows quicker cool down.
Or do what I do & have 2 set ups so one isn't getting battered [emoji16]

Heat will transfer from coils to posts, to deck & then through 510 to the mod. Plus mod generating heat means lots of build up & no way to quickly dissipate that heat. Heat syncs help as increased surface area allows quicker cool down.
Or do what I do & have 2 set ups so one isn't getting battered [emoji16]

So is it just common then? Most people i know arent as buildy as me so either use stock coils or pretty standard coils so I just assumed this was something Im doing wrong, reading and hearing about these massive builds and the amazing flavour but whenever I build them I'm just a bit let down and the RDAs get untouchably hot.

I would expect hat transfer etc obviously it just feels like mine are getting wayyyy hotter than other peoples. maybe I'm just overthinking things.

Back
Top Bottom