What's new

Vivi Nova rewicking (again)

Lord Grim

Veteran
I'm not sure what I have done wrong here but.....I rewicked a popped Vivi Nova head the other day, and tonight have just put it in and started vaping on it. I used some LF wire, not sure what the gauge was but I double twisted it and gave it four coils. I put the multimeter on it and it showed 2.5 ohm. Brilliant, I thought, that'll vape beautifully on my V6. Everything tastes fine, but I am getting a killer throathit that is actually burning a bit. I used four strands of 1mm silica wick, dunno if this is too much and actually isn't wicking properly? Maybe it's getting in its own way? Any light shed would be massively appreciated as I want to get a "proper" rebuildable, but not til I know I can get my wicks right.

Have you re-checked the ohmage since you got a reading of 2.5?

If the coils have moved a bit and are touching then this could alter the reading?

​@steffijade Yep, I've put it on the meter a couple of times since and it still shows a steady 2.5-2.6 ohm. I even put it on the Imotion2 v+ where it showed 2.2ohm (I already know the Imotion reads slightly low as I tested it when I bought it). Just can't work it out, at low voltages it vapes nicely. It's almost as if I have invented a Standard Resistance LR!!!

I suspect you are seeing what Ive seen on these before ... you have managed to neatly wind some coils to fit in the very small gap on the nova .. and they work fine, however that gap is small .. at higher voltages, I sometimes get an acrid taste on ones Ive rewired .. I *think* what this is is the coils being so close together and arcing at higher voltages.

I may be wrong .. but thats my assumption

That sounds about right ZT. I cleaned it out last night, have just given it a dry burn, rechecked the resisitance and filled it with different liquid, so I'm going to see how that goes. If I still get the acrid taste, I'm going to assume you are right and leave it at lower voltages. Funny thing is, I only have the v6 at it's lowest setting (3.7v), which I have checked and is correct, but it always seems to work hotter than other mods. Illogical I know, but it does!

That sounds about right ZT. I cleaned it out last night, have just given it a dry burn, rechecked the resisitance and filled it with different liquid, so I'm going to see how that goes. If I still get the acrid taste, I'm going to assume you are right and leave it at lower voltages. Funny thing is, I only have the v6 at it's lowest setting (3.7v), which I have checked and is correct, but it always seems to work hotter than other mods. Illogical I know, but it does!

heh .. you wanna try a zmax .. fierce ... many

I could get my rewired novas working fine on my ex-iTaste, and on ego twists ... the zmax does not like them at all.

If you want to spread out the coils a little more without worrying about causing a short by the coils touching the coil head, then this stuff can help :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140824938034?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

It's a replacement for the sleeving that comes with the vivi nova heads. I got some to try after a tip off from bigalz and it's helped me with my rewicking quite a bit.

Might be worth a try and see if it helps you to space the coils a little more?

Thanks, I've been wondering about that stuff. Just rewicked another 2 heads, one at 2.6 and one at 3 ohm. I haven't tried them yet as I'll wait til I need to.

+1 with what Steffi said .. Ive used this stuff .. its good.

Back
Top Bottom