What's new

[TUTORIAL] - re-wire and wicking a killer/spiral/eBaron pro head

ZT

Super Moderator
Staff member
this is Mainly for Carlos

DISCLAIMER : This tutorial contains some shocking "in a rush" macro photography, bad fingernails and really broken up wick (I used the last bit I had in my draw - in truth I probably wont use this ... the wick broke up too much - but you will get the idea)

Ok .. you will need :

1 spiral style ceramic
3cm (ish) of .2 kanthal or nichrome wire
2 x 8cm lengths of no resistance wire

5 or so CM of sillca (i use 2mm)

1 flattened out safety pin

some patience

Start with one peice of no-res wire and the 3cm of .2 kanthal

about 4mm from the end of each cross them over in a v shape like this pic :
_MG_0847 - Version 2.jpg

now take a pair of pilers (you can do it by hand .. but pliers make it a LOT tighter {note RE: the pic below - I would normally be holding the base of the twist while I turn the pliers, but I couldnt do that AND take the macro shot}) and start to twizzle the wire

_MG_0848 - Version 2.jpg

once the full 4mm or so are twizzled together .. you should end up with this :

_MG_0849 - Version 2.jpg

bend the twizzle back towards the NO RES wire, then tightly wrap the no-res wire around the twizzle (as you you were wrapping a coil on silica)
After I have done this .. I normally give it squeeze or to with some flat pliers just to make sure

_MG_0845 - Version 2.jpg

Repeat this for the other side of the .2 kanthal and the other piece of NO RES wire

_MG_0852 - Version 2.jpg

thats our wire ready. Now take your 5 or so cm of silica and bend it in half hold, it tightly against an unfurled paperclip and starting at one of the joins start to wrap a coil. After you have finished bend the joins round the wick as well.

next1.jpg

Ceramic Time!

now get your ceramic and put the to no res "legs" down the ceramic and through the 2 holes

_MG_0855 - Version 2.jpg

Now pull the wire through two holes tight and slip the silica down the two slits at the side of the ceramic, then use a small flat screw driver to space the coils out properly. (crap pic .. and the silica really broke up .. sorry)

_MG_0857 - Version 2.jpg

Now turn it over .. pull one cut on piece of the no res wire about 4mm longer than the botomn of the ceramic and fold it over into the hole ... this is your positive terminal

pull the other piece out to the side .. and leave it for when you place in the spiral/killer/eBaron Pro ( a tutorial what to do about fitting a head is available on http://www.houseofmods.com )

jobs a goodun ... well normally .. but not in this case.

finished.jpg

ZT M I thank you very muchly Sir, great write up mate and a very easy step by step tutorial, has to be the best I have seen yet on a killer wick :)

carl

Back
Top Bottom