What's new

TFV8 with premade coils beyond 1 ohm

picsis

Initiate
Hello,

I own a TFV8 Cloud Beast and never use it because of its high wattage demand when using its specific coils. It consumes my battery very quickly and it loves to drink juice.

So, I wanted to know, as it has an RBA deck, if is it posible to use it with a premade 1.6 ohm kantal coil for example, so I can lower the wattage drastically.

I know nothing about RBAs, so I ignore if its posible to use any premade coil of more thank 1.0 ohm in this deck, and this tank.

If what I want is not posible. Can you tell me if these SMOK TFV8 coils will work at lower wattage? And what wattage on a 0.57 ohm coil should I use?

Authentic SMOKTech SMOK TFV8 V8 RBA 2 Core Fused Clapton Heating Coils - Silver, Stainless Steel, 0.57 Ohm

The 1.6 ohm KA1 coils you mentioned sound very MTL to me - if you already have them there is no harm in trying them out but I definitely wouldn't buy any.

The RBA I had for the TFV8 was a small twin coiler but it didn't come with the tank and I bought it separately, so I'm assuming the one you have is the same. I just used spools of regular Ni80 Clapton wire (24/36 I think) and got pretty good results - you don't have to buy specific Smok coils for the RBA, but the pre-wrapped Smok ones will definitely fit and may be easier for a newbie to building. I would watch a few build tutorials on youtube first - there are bound to be a few for the Smok RBA on there somewhere.

I can't give a specific wattage to run the 0.57 ohm SS coils at - if you decide to buy them - after building just start at a low wattage and slowly increase the power until you get the vape you want - the same applies regardless of which wire you use.

Good luck.

Sorry mate - I forgot something...

From memory of my old tank you will probably need 50 watts or so to get a decent vape, you could reduce it a bit if you close down the airflow - but you'll never get a low wattage MTL style Vape from it as it is just too airy.

You will still go through a bit of juice, but it won't be as thirsty as the cloud-chucker coils.

The 1.6 ohm KA1 coils you mentioned sound very MTL to me - if you already have them there is no harm in trying them out but I definitely wouldn't buy any.

The RBA I had for the TFV8 was a small twin coiler but it didn't come with the tank and I bought it separately, so I'm assuming the one you have is the same. I just used spools of regular Ni80 Clapton wire (24/36 I think) and got pretty good results - you don't have to buy specific Smok coils for the RBA, but the pre-wrapped Smok ones will definitely fit and may be easier for a newbie to building. I would watch a few build tutorials on youtube first - there are bound to be a few for the Smok RBA on there somewhere.

I can't give a specific wattage to run the 0.57 ohm SS coils at - if you decide to buy them - after building just start at a low wattage and slowly increase the power until you get the vape you want - the same applies regardless of which wire you use.

Good luck.
Thank you for tour help.

No. I just gave an example when I mentioned 1.6 ohm kantal. I read that, when it comes to dual coils, you have to divide ohm by two. So an 1.6ohm coil would result in about 0.80 ohm at the end, which is more or less what I am after. To get at least an 0.50 ohm minimum, so I can lower battery and juice consumption . Is that how it works?

On the other hand, the rba of my tfv8 came with the tank. I believe is the dual coil V8 RBA-8, which comes with pre-installed 0.16 ohm clapton coils. It also says these coils are suitable for 40-100 watt. Which it still sound high to get what I want. To run it at 30-40 watt maximum.

Perhaps the SMOK 0.57 coils would do that? I dont know, because they dont specify range of watts on that coils.

Thank you again

In theory u r right.
In reality, how it vapes has a lot to do with the material a coil is made of, what form it is, how its wrapped, the wicking material and how it is wicked, and the disign of the tank (mostly airflow).

I often find i only need 10-15w less than would be predicted by the math, but not always

More vapor-more juice
Less vapor-less juice is more of a law of physics tho, except between vg and pg
Vg = thicker vapor
Pg = thinner vapor

A battery fully charged is gonna be 4.15-ish volts really, and using a dual .57 ohm coils is gonna put u up around 70 watts (by math) but im guessing somewhere in the 50s or 60s is gonna work best.

I currently run a single .59 coil and i use anywere from 20-23 watts. Totally diff tank tho

Last edited:
Thank you for tour help.

No. I just gave an example when I mentioned 1.6 ohm kantal. I read that, when it comes to dual coils, you have to divide ohm by two. So an 1.6ohm coil would result in about 0.80 ohm at the end, which is more or less what I am after. To get at least an 0.50 ohm minimum, so I can lower battery and juice consumption . Is that how it works?

On the other hand, the rba of my tfv8 came with the tank. I believe is the dual coil V8 RBA-8, which comes with pre-installed 0.16 ohm clapton coils. It also says these coils are suitable for 40-100 watt. Which it still sound high to get what I want. To run it at 30-40 watt maximum.

Perhaps the SMOK 0.57 coils would do that? I dont know, because they dont specify range of watts on that coils.

Thank you again

You're correct about 2 coils will halve the resistance - and, generally, higher ohm resistance builds will need less power than lower ohm, but the mass of the coils will also affect how much power is needed.

For example -

a 7 wrap 26 gauge Kanthal coil with 3mm internal diameter will be about 1 ohm.

an 11 wrap 24 gauge Kanthal coil with 3mm i.d. will also be 1 ohm

Although they are both 1 ohm coils the 24 gauge is made of thicker wire and has more wraps so it is considerably larger. The extra mass of the larger coil needs more energy to heat up so will need more Wattage.

As you will be using 2 coils they need much more power to heat up simply because you are trying to heat more metal than a single coil with the same resistance.

Sadly the TFV8 is an airy cloud-chucker and probably needs more than your 40 watts max to run properly. Personally I wouldn't buy the Smok coils you mentioned as I think they won't perform well as 40 Watts.

Maybe you should consider a single coil RTA as they are far more suitable for 30-40 Watts and coils are easy to find?

It would be a good idea if you check out www.steam-engine.org/coils as there is plenty of information there about coil types, resistance of builds, recommended power settings etc.

Sorry I can't be more positive bud, but a TFV8 twin coil RBA build and 40 watts is going to be a challenge - but having a look at steam-engine is well worth it.

I have the tfv12 prince rba, esentially the same thing i believe.

If i hadnt listened to ppl on here and gotten a tank designed to be rebuildable i wouldve just thrown it out and stuck with stock coils

And even with the rebuiladables i had to go through a handful before i found one that really suited the vape i wanted

So, basically, there is no way for me to use this tank.

One important thing I fotrgot to mention is that I vape 18mg juice, and every puff with this tank at 70-80 watt feels like I'm gonna die and go to hell, or that I died and I'm already in hell. Lol

That is another reason why I wanted it to run at lower wattage.

I guess then, I wont use it.

Thank you all

So, basically, there is no way for me to use this tank.

One important thing I fotrgot to mention is that I vape 18mg juice, and every puff with this tank at 70-80 watt feels like I'm gonna die and go to hell, or that I died and I'm already in hell. Lol

That is another reason why I wanted it to run at lower wattage.

I guess then, I wont use it.

Thank you all

Your problem sounds to me like the juice you are using - trying to sub ohm on 18mg isn't a good idea. It would be fine with 3mg juice but 18mg would be choking and give you instant nic overdose - it would probably knock me out if I tried it.

Forget trying to use lower wattage builds on that tank to compensate for the juice as it won't work - it will always be a sub ohm tank and high nic is a no-no unless you are a complete masochist.

If you want to continue vaping 18mg you need a smaller Mouth To Lung style tank (either stock coil or rebuildable) specifically designed for high nic/lower wattage vaping. If you want to keep using the TFV8 get some 3mg juice and it will be fine

Yes. I hadnt thought about that until the moment I wrote it to you.

I will try lowering the nicotine, but I will still have the other two issues, battery and liquid comsuption

Anyhow, do you think lowering nicotine
to 3mg will have the same throat hit effect on 70-80 watt as 18mg has on 30 watt?

Back
Top Bottom