What's new

Steam engine and coil wraps

Jd_

Achiever
If i were to enter this into steam engin, would it be an 8 wrap, an 8.5 wrap, or a 9 wrap
4478603-3.jpg

Sorry about the number, i guess i couldve used a 6 wrap example, but i have a picture of this

It's a half wrap because the legs are pointing in the same direction.
Ive also seen it written that its only a half wrap when they point in opposite directions. Thats one of the reasons why i asked the question to begin with

Ive also seen it written that its only a half wrap when they point in opposite directions. Thats one of the reasons why i asked the question to begin with
There are some folk that count the number of wraps slightly differently and I too have at times come across differing opinions.
Where it can get confusing is when there are 2 half wraps. These really is a full wrap.
Certainly the principle of a half wrap means the legs point in the same direction, a full wrap means the legs will point in the opposite direction.
When I designed the coil wrap calculator that I use, that's how I specify the difference on there.

For my purposes I use a wrap calculator to get an idea of what the resistance of a coil I intend to make will be.
The actual resistance will be different due tolerances of the wire I use, and the position / length of the legs to suit the atty.
A lot of the time I use single coils, for my favourite RDA I like a 0.3 ohm coil, so use a calculator to determine the number of wraps I will need for wire gauge, coil diameter, etc.
If the coil actually comes up at say 0.29, or 0.32, what the hell do I care.
I am not a purist, and get the vape result I wanted. :)

For my purposes I use a wrap calculator to get an idea of what the resistance of a coil I intend to make will be.
The actual resistance will be different due tolerances of the wire I use, and the position / length of the legs to suit the atty.
A lot of the time I use single coils, for my favourite RDA I like a 0.3 ohm coil, so use a calculator to determine the number of wraps I will need for wire gauge, coil diameter, etc.
If the coil actually comes up at say 0.29, or 0.32, what the hell do I care.
I am not a purist, and get the vape result I wanted. :)
No different to how I can imagine 99% of us build coils. A calculator is the starting point and reference. The final result will in most cases always read slightly different because of the tolerances of several factors.
What's your view on the full wrap half wrap OP question.

Back
Top Bottom